Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Full Name: Gregg
Posts: 115
Question Torque for Superformance cam drive nuts?

Finally getting my 308gt4 back together. I'm using the hex drive nuts (available from Superformance in the UK) instead of new ring drive nuts.

If I'm reading it right, the WSM says 13 kg-m, which I believe is 94 ft-lbs. That seems a lot for the 5-6 fine continuous threads on those nuts before the nut is notched. I suppose the ntoches are to lock the nuts, but they don't appear to grip the threads.

Anyone used the Superformance hex cam drive nuts and torqued them to 94 ft lbs?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Full Name: John Ratto
Posts: 612
What is the size of the nut? bolt?

torque is udually proportional to size of the fastener.

90 ft-lbs would indicate a BIG fastenener - something on the line of a wheel nut-bolt.

90 ftlbs will snap a small fastener or pull the threads
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2012, 11:14 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Full Name: David Feinberg
Posts: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggbferrari View Post
Finally getting my 308gt4 back together. I'm using the hex drive nuts (available from Superformance in the UK) instead of new ring drive nuts.

If I'm reading it right, the WSM says 13 kg-m, which I believe is 94 ft-lbs. That seems a lot for the 5-6 fine continuous threads on those nuts before the nut is notched. I suppose the ntoches are to lock the nuts, but they don't appear to grip the threads.

Anyone used the Superformance hex cam drive nuts and torqued them to 94 ft lbs?

Thanks.
A couple of things...
Torque to proportional to numerous factors. Two of which are thread pitch and diameter.
The thread pitch is 17x1.0mm, which will support a fairly high torque figure
The actual torque figure is 12 kg-m (87 lb-ft.)
The factory "jet" lock type nut is far superior to anything else for that critical application.
Once the bearing is seated and the nut tightened, the notches will 100% engage the threads. If not, there are much bigger problems to contend with.
Other than not having, or wanting to spend the money for the correct tool, why take a risk and use an unknown commodity in such a critical application. The factory nuts are dirt cheap and even an aftermarket tool is less than $100.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Steve Magnusson's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Texas
Full Name: Steve Magnusson
Posts: 14,738
13 and 12 kg-m are both correct (depending on which WSM you believe )

It's a fine thread pitch, but the diameter is huge, as David mentioned, so no worries IMO -- AFAIK, no one has ever reported stripping those threads on FChat...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Full Name: Gregg
Posts: 115
Thank you!

Gentlemen, thank you. Careful cleaning, a little blue loctite, 13 kg-m (94 ft-lbs) and no apparent problems.

It's kind of thrilling to see cams in the heads after six months. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Full Name: David Feinberg
Posts: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Magnusson View Post
It's a fine thread pitch, but the diameter is huge, as David mentioned, so no worries IMO -- AFAIK, no one has ever reported stripping those threads on FChat...
I do have a 17x1.0mm die if the need should ever arise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggbferrari View Post
Gentlemen, thank you. Careful cleaning, a little blue loctite, 13 kg-m (94 ft-lbs) and no apparent problems. It's kind of thrilling to see cams in the heads after six months. :-)
You're welcome and congrats on your progress!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.