Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Pano S.
Blinking gear light + transmission light

Guys,

I did some research and it has helped a bit but maybe someone here can help me a bit more:

I have

new f1 pump (bled twice)
new Kevlar cutch package
new TCU (2004 model year)
ferrari dealership did a TCU set up after all this was done.

problem:
when driving (it has happened in auto mode three times in past 2 days)

not heavy driving just tooling around town after 30min-1hr:
the car beeps and shows a blinking gear light as well as the transmission light.. the car will either stay in gear and wont go up and down and after a minute or two of driving the blinking gear goes away and so does the transmission light and the car is back to normal

or

I pull over put it in neutral wait a few seconds and all lights go back to normal.

I drove the car around in manual and this hasn't happened at all (but not sure maybe I just didn't drive it around in manual enough or I shift less in manual)

any idea? could a new pump go bad that quickly? Any ideas at all?

I felt the pump hose when the car is cold and I do feel moisture right where container that holds the f1 fluid and hose meet.. could be normal moisture I have no clue.

Any idea what the problem can be?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Phil
I've heard that the Kevlar clutches may not be compatible with the firmware in the F1 TCUs. There was a post awhile back with someone having issues with this.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Sean Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoVaka View Post
Guys,

I did some research and it has helped a bit but maybe someone here can help me a bit more:

I have

new f1 pump (bled twice)
new Kevlar cutch package
new TCU (2004 model year)
ferrari dealership did a TCU set up after all this was done.

problem:
when driving (it has happened in auto mode three times in past 2 days)

not heavy driving just tooling around town after 30min-1hr:
the car beeps and shows a blinking gear light as well as the transmission light.. the car will either stay in gear and wont go up and down and after a minute or two of driving the blinking gear goes away and so does the transmission light and the car is back to normal

or

I pull over put it in neutral wait a few seconds and all lights go back to normal.

I drove the car around in manual and this hasn't happened at all (but not sure maybe I just didn't drive it around in manual enough or I shift less in manual)

any idea? could a new pump go bad that quickly? Any ideas at all?

I felt the pump hose when the car is cold and I do feel moisture right where container that holds the f1 fluid and hose meet.. could be normal moisture I have no clue.

Any idea what the problem can be?
OK someone sold you a F1 pump motor, I assume for good reason. Did they also replace the F1 pump relay. Your symptom fits with a failing relay. Which should have been replaced if there was a reason to replace the F1 pump motor.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcat View Post
I've heard that the Kevlar clutches may not be compatible with the firmware in the F1 TCUs. There was a post awhile back with someone having issues with this.
I've also read that they (Kevlar discs) can take a considerable length of time to bed in fully. Perhaps the auto system is less tolerant than when in manual and it senses something (heat / slippage) and just gives up?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariDublin View Post
I've also read that they (Kevlar discs) can take a considerable length of time to bed in fully. Perhaps the auto system is less tolerant than when in manual and it senses something (heat / slippage) and just gives up?
I have 1k miles or more at this point on the kevlar clutch, it did operate poorly for the first few hundred miles but has gotten considerably better.

I have considered that as a possibility as well..
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbunasean View Post
OK someone sold you a F1 pump motor, I assume for good reason. Did they also replace the F1 pump relay. Your symptom fits with a failing relay. Which should have been replaced if there was a reason to replace the F1 pump motor.
Yes, the F1 pump failed on me and was replaced a month before I purchased a clutch. I will look into the relay to see if that was replaced as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Monte
My Garage
I had the blinking gear light but did not have the transmission light. Turned out the actuators had to go through a recentering process. It is part of the actuator service. I've told you all I know but I was told it was more of an adjustment and nothing is technically wrong.

Best of luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

I topped off the F1 oil, and it turns out the relay was not replaced so I will get another relay as well.. Again this problem didn't occur at all yesterday (over 1 hr of driving) i'll replace the relay and will see if I get that alert again.
Non-Sponsor Ads