Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 764
Vintage tires?

Where are people sourcing vintage sized/rated tires?

I've been looking everywhere (or so I thought, obviously not) for 225/70VR15 XWX or similar for a Quattroporte III. The few I've found cost the proverbial arm and a leg, and with no mention of when they were produced, potentially being NOS and not "fresh" rubber.

From what I can tell, Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors used the same size for some years, but I haven't been able to find the proper size and speed rating anywhere. I would think a number of cars from this era has similar if not identical tires - Ferrari 400, Maserati Khamsin, Bora, 70's - 80's Lambos, etc.

I've also heard conflicting info about whether todays XWX differs from the original or not.

It seems that "vintage" tires are becoming harder to find and (much) more expensive than they used to be.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South East
Full Name: Jimmie
Posts: 7,045
I thought genuine Michelin were easily available from Longstone in the UK
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 60,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboxer View Post
I thought genuine Michelin were easily available from Longstone in the UK
This is it...go to Europe for a better selection, or deal with Coker Tire in the USA.

They are new rubber, produced in the old molds.

I have Goodyear support, via FULDA in Germany, but even there the production runs are 'infrequent" I have to 'get 'em while they are hot"...LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
alberto's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego
Full Name: Alberto
Posts: 2,232
I'm thinking about trying these: Kumho SOLUS KR21
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,757
Perhaps its time for new wheels so you can fit modern rubber.

ETA: I did a quick look at tire rack and found a dismal set of listings for 225/70xx15.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM
330 4HL's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vancouver
Full Name: Rick Bradner
Posts: 302
I started a thread on the "vintage (thru 365)model specific group earlier today much along the same lines.
All of the tires from my post below are currently available new.
You might want to check the thread from time to time to see if anything interesting shows up.
cheers


"I've now reached that point in the restoration that I should soon be looking for tires to replace the tired CN36s currently fitted to my 330 2+2 (Bianca Neve).

I'm hoping to keep the car as correct as possible but I also intend to drive it wth a reasonable degree of enthusiasm and would like something with a reasonable amount of grip.

The options so far:
The car originally came with Pirelli Cinturato 205x15 tires (dia. 707mm).
+ original equip, correct aspect ratio
- tend to follow groves, turn-in not as predictable as CN36s

215/70VR15 Michelin XWX (dia. 683mm).
+excellent tire, tracks over grooves better
- incorrect aspect ratio

215/70VR15 Avon CR6ZZ (dia. 677mm)
+ modern day levels of grip
- incorrect aspect ratio, road hazards an issue?


I'd like feedback from any one using any of these tires on this type of car; how they drive (grip, feel), look, & any interference issues."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 764
Mitch - I don't think new wheels would make the car look any better, or any more original than it does.

It does seem like this particular size is the odd man out, going slightly up or down in size results in a much wider range of available tires.

I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A's currently fitted. They're not bad, but pretty noisy and rather stiff riding. They were on it when I bought the car, so I'm not sure of their age.

Been searching for some time, and it appears as though the only alternatives are
225/70VR15 Avon ACR3 and 225/70VR15 Michelin XWX. But 324 ($500) per tire?!? (actually it's over $600 at the US shops I found, this price is from the UK). The Avons are 100 less.

Anyone compared the Avon ACR3 against the Michelin XWX? I've seen the Avons (a friend bought a set for his Espada) and they look more like plastic than rubber, and with limited tread depth. But the real test is on the car, on the road...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 60,829
Go over into the Goodyear Vintage/Racing tires, there's only one dealer, IIRC..

Look there.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
330 4HL's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vancouver
Full Name: Rick Bradner
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroporte3 View Post
Mitch - I don't think new wheels would make the car look any better, or any more original than it does.

It does seem like this particular size is the odd man out, going slightly up or down in size results in a much wider range of available tires.

I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A's currently fitted. They're not bad, but pretty noisy and rather stiff riding. They were on it when I bought the car, so I'm not sure of their age.

Been searching for some time, and it appears as though the only alternatives are
225/70VR15 Avon ACR3 and 225/70VR15 Michelin XWX. But 324 ($500) per tire?!? (actually it's over $600 at the US shops I found, this price is from the UK). The Avons are 100 less.

Anyone compared the Avon ACR3 against the Michelin XWX? I've seen the Avons (a friend bought a set for his Espada) and they look more like plastic than rubber, and with limited tread depth. But the real test is on the car, on the road...

Have you looked at the 215/70VR15 Avon CR6ZZ?
not cheap at about $400, but I've read good things about it.

cheers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago area
Full Name: Bill
Posts: 3,319
Just a possible choice...

With Avons, you should be able to order through and Cooper Tire distributor, Aston Martin or Rolls dealers.

Turbosteel 70 | Avon Tyres
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avon.jpg (168.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg spec.jpg (102.4 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg desc.jpg (123.2 KB, 381 views)

Last edited by bill365; 03-06-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NoVA
Full Name: Matt B
Posts: 6,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
This is it...go to Europe for a better selection, or deal with Coker Tire in the USA.

They are new rubber, produced in the old molds.

I have Goodyear support, via FULDA in Germany, but even there the production runs are 'infrequent" I have to 'get 'em while they are hot"...LOL!
For my vintage Caddy it is Coker or Universal Tire.

MB
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 764
Coker sells the Michelin XWX for $644 each. Not sure if shipping is extra or not.

Many good suggestions, and it seems to me that the particular size my car specifies is pretty uncommon, at least today.

I haven't checked out the Avon CR6ZZs yet, but will. $400/tire is still better than $644/tire!

So the relevant question - what happens when you use the 'wrong' size tire? E.g. if I went for the Avon Turbosteel 70s, which are 235/70R15 instead of 225. Or one of the many offerings at 205/70R15? One would be slightly too wide, the other more than a bit too narrow.

I expect I'm asking for trouble, but at this point I'm only asking.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM
330 4HL's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vancouver
Full Name: Rick Bradner
Posts: 302
Re: wrong tire size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroporte3 View Post
Coker sells the Michelin XWX for $644 each. Not sure if shipping is extra or not.

Many good suggestions, and it seems to me that the particular size my car specifies is pretty uncommon, at least today.

I haven't checked out the Avon CR6ZZs yet, but will. $400/tire is still better than $644/tire!

So the relevant question - what happens when you use the 'wrong' size tire? E.g. if I went for the Avon Turbosteel 70s, which are 235/70R15 instead of 225. Or one of the many offerings at 205/70R15? One would be slightly too wide, the other more than a bit too narrow.

I expect I'm asking for trouble, but at this point I'm only asking.



if you check my post, you'll see the diameter for each tire is in brackets
- this will give you some idea of how they will look ( fill the wheel arches).

as far as width, there are two isues that I can think of; will they interfere with bodywork (especially on full lock) & will they properly fit the wheel! For my 330, 215s would be no problem, 235s most certainly would be and the steering would be quite heavy as I don't have p.s.

One other consideration that comes to mind is the weight of the car if you're going to be using it for high speed driving. I imagine your QP is quite a bit heavier than my 330; more weight at same speed = more heat.


cheers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago area
Full Name: Bill
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroporte3 View Post
...So the relevant question - what happens when you use the 'wrong' size tire? E.g. if I went for the Avon Turbosteel 70s, which are 235/70R15 instead of 225. Or one of the many offerings at 205/70R15? One would be slightly too wide, the other more than a bit too narrow.
Isn't the stock tire size 225/70/15 for a QP III?

If so... the 235/70/15 will be just a touch wider, 5mm to either side of wheel center and the car will stand roughly 1/4" taller.

235/60 would make the car will stand roughly 1/2" lower.

These will also add a small error to your speedo.

Last edited by bill365; 03-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 AM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hiddin' in NJ
Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Posts: 23,485
I can't say I've ever heard of "Westlake" tires here here's a an H rated tire in that size that fits. Are you going over 130 in that beast?

Westlake SU307 P225/70R15 100H BSW - tires-easy.com

These guys list a lot of tires some you've even heard of before LOL
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 764
Gummint laws mandate that the tires are commensurate with the vehicles stated rating and top speed (despite the fact that one can't legally get anywhere near those speeds anywhere in the country).

So no, I can't (legally) put H, R, S or anything but V or better on the car. I could, until I got stopped at a checkpoint, at which time I'd have to buy correct tires. Might as well buy the right one's to begin with. I had hoped to find somewhat larger a selection.

I understand that larger/smaller tires will affect speedometer readings and make the cars stance slightly higher/lower, but was more concerned with handling, noise and safety.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
BigTex's Avatar
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Full Name: Bubba
Posts: 60,829
Height throws your speedo off.......width invites chaffing, and body and/or damage to the tire.

Goodyear long ago look at "60 series" offerings on my 308GTB and said 'no go'...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
hoverland's Avatar
Karting
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Norway
Full Name: Harald
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattroporte3 View Post
Gummint laws mandate that the tires are commensurate with the vehicles stated rating and top speed (despite the fact that one can't legally get anywhere near those speeds anywhere in the country).

So no, I can't (legally) put H, R, S or anything but V or better on the car. I could, until I got stopped at a checkpoint, at which time I'd have to buy correct tires. Might as well buy the right one's to begin with. I had hoped to find somewhat larger a selection.

I understand that larger/smaller tires will affect speedometer readings and make the cars stance slightly higher/lower, but was more concerned with handling, noise and safety.
What's important is speedrating and that tire diameter is within 5% of original size.
Also note that rim width may also limit your choices as well as space in the wheel wells.

Altering wheel diameter changes the overall gearratio and the center of gravity.
The designers/engineers knew what they were doing, so you should not deviate too much from original.

I have very good experiences with Avon CR6ZZ on my -77 400, they look timeperiod correct on the car and have more grip than I have guts.
Highly recommended!
"If they're good enough for historic racing and the GT40's, -they are good enough for me."

See available sizes here Avon CR6ZZ
Guess you could use the 225/65-15 on your QP.

Harald
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:34 PM
staatsof's Avatar
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hiddin' in NJ
Full Name: Roberto Puerto
Posts: 23,485
Center of gravity???? On a QPIII you're worried about the center of gravity with a .25 to .5 inch difference? Besides, usually the diameter is smaller so its going to lower anyway.

Load rating IS a big deal for a car that heavy and I didn't know the car was in Europe so I understand about the V rating. People run these cars on H and less rated tires over here all the time but regulations are a b*tch.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-09-2013, 01:05 AM
hoverland's Avatar
Karting
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Norway
Full Name: Harald
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by staatsof View Post
Center of gravity???? On a QPIII you're worried about the center of gravity with a .25 to .5 inch difference? Besides, usually the diameter is smaller so its going to lower anyway.

Load rating IS a big deal for a car that heavy and I didn't know the car was in Europe so I understand about the V rating. People run these cars on H and less rated tires over here all the time but regulations are a b*tch.
OP asked for what effects changing sizes may have on handling and safety, and changing CG definitely will !
-although in OP's case I agree it may not be significant and no need for worrying. Thanks for clarifying

Also thanks for highlighting importance of loadrating, the QP and 400 are both heavy bastards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mondial452.jpg (26.7 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by hoverland; 03-09-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.