Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave Meredith
There's a company here in the States who did this work for me that has done a whole whack of the 85 mph. speedo conversions, which involves recalibrating the speedo innards so that the pointer shows the corrected speed. Check out their website: http://www.paspeedo.com/
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-16-2005, 04:18 PM
F1 World Champ
Non Subscribed

Full Name: The Butcher
I fitted VDO guts into my broken tach about a year ago. It was pretty simple and cost about $45. I put a boost gage where the clock was.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:55 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Pete
Looks great ... but I have to ask, why not just paint the gauge needles?

Pete
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

If you can figure out an easy way to disassemble the tach and speedo so to get to the needles, yet not bugger up their cases, then you are a better man than I!

Has anyone successfully done this operation?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Veering slightly off topic - The Clock.

Several folks have sent me private e-mails asking me about the OEM Veglia clock that I have removed from my console, which I replaced with a VDO voltmeter. Lots of you folks seem to have broken 308 clocks and are seeking a replacement. Surprisingly, it looks like a number of you all do indeed appear to like to have a clock in your console. (I can't say that I personally see the practical use for a clock there, but to each their own, I suppose.)

At any rate, I wish to keep the old clock that I removed on my shelf so that I can easily swap all of the various Veglia gauges back to OEM in the event that I sell the car one day and the new owner does not share my enthusiasm for my new VDO set-up. However, for those of you who have broken 308 clocks and wish to locate a new working one, in my opinion this should be an easy task for you.

Fiat Spiders came OEM with Veglia clocks in their dashboards for many years, and there are a -lot- of these old Spider clocks available, both new and used. The casing size and configuration of the Fiat Veglia clocks are identical to the 308 Veglia clocks, but their face plate and hand design might vary one from the other, depending upon the year of the Fiat Spider donor and the year of your 308. Working Fiat clocks are regularly available on eBay, so looking there for one is a good first step. Or, go to a Fiat owners website (my favorite one is http://www.mirafiori.com), and once there click onto their Forum site and post a "Wanted" ad seeking a new / used working Spider clock. I am guessing that such a Fiat clock will end up costing you about $10.00 to $15.00 or so. Then, if the style of the faceplate or of the hands of your new Fiat clock does not quite match your old OEM 308 design, send both the working Fiat and your dead 308 clock out to Palo Alto Speedometer and have them do a simple hand / face swap. Another idea would be to buy a new VDO clock since they are also the same diameter as the Veglia clock and similarly do a face / hand swap so to make the new clock look like an old original. Or, as a final thought, I am certain that there are instrument repair places other than P.A.S. that can resurrect these clocks, and we can all hope that some one else will chime in here and post below the address and contact info for a firm or two that they have used in the past which can easily repair your original 308 clock once it is sent to them.

DM
Old 05-17-2005, 05:50 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave80gtsi
If you can figure out an easy way to disassemble the tach and speedo so to get to the needles, yet not bugger up their cases, then you are a better man than I!

Has anyone successfully done this operation?
Arh good point. Tom Yang has done it though ... www.tomyang.net ... different model Ferrari though.

Pete
Old 05-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Gerrit
Hi Guys,
Slight diversion but somewhat related:

I have successfully opened and closed several speedometer housings. It requires a gentle touch and a small screw driver to remove the bezel (no bending of the bezel required ). I will try to post some 'how to' sequenced photos this weekend. If I don't, send me a kick via PM as a reminder.

My goal is to replace the internal speedometer electronics with something that is repairable/maintainable without having to send to outside companies. The original GT4 speedo has an unobtanium IC in it, the later units seems to have a different unobtanium IC.

Gerrit
Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Hugh G. Rection
[QUOTE= Or, as a final thought, I am certain that there are instrument repair places other than P.A.S. that can resurrect these clocks, and we can all hope that some one else will chime in here and post below the address and contact info for a firm or two that they have used in the past which can easily repair your original 308 clock once it is sent to them.

DM[/QUOTE]

What is the problem with Palo Alto Speedometer? I had both clocks repaired from a 78 308 GTS and later a 1987 328 GTS and both were repaired in a reasonable time, and for around $100 to $125 (can't remember exactly). Both worked great. (had the 308 for a bit over 3 years, 328 for about 2.5 years)

I also had my tach repaired at PAS for my 328 (read low) and again, turned around fast (only three or four days in that instance) and around $140.

Of course there are plenty of other places one can find on the Internet that specialize in such work....I have heard of Hollywood Speedometer in FL and some other place in Los Angeles that escapes me right now. No big deal guys, get them fixed, move on. They ain't making them anymore so not much choice.

I'm impressed with Gerrit's project, but is your speedometer failing that often that it requires a complete change of internals?

Dave
Old 05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Gerrit
Hi Dave,
no, it is not failing that often, only twice. It failied the first time by itself, the second time as a result of my own stupidity. But I do resent spending > cd$200 on repairs that result in something that doesn't work or stay working. There is a place in Toronto that Palo Alto supposedly sends some of their work to but the quality is inconsistent at best. The first time it was fixed, the speed read 10% low, not a good thing in a Ferrari. Another local owner had his unit returned with a non-working odometer.
Being north of the border makes sending units to the US a pain and costly. I won't be the last one to have issues so the effort might result in a second source for other owners as well.
The reason for replacing the internals is that the SAY115 IC is no longer available and neither is the RCA chip in the other style of speedometer. There are no similar replacements.

Lastly, I like the challenge of fixing it myself. Another joy of Ferrari ownership.

Gerrit
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: mike c
Question Veglia clock removal

I have a 1980 308 gtsi, can you give me some advise on how to remove the clock.

thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaputo View Post
I have a 1980 308 gtsi, can you give me some advise on how to remove the clock.

thanks
If you have the unique-to-1980 vertically aligned console gauges (rather than the 1981 and up side-by-side console gauges), both are mounted onto a plate which is held in place with velcro. Simply place a thin putty knife at the edge of this plate and gently pry.

Should be nothing to it.

Cheers - DM
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Steve
I think I would have used the original oil pressure gauge and just changed the needle to match. The Oil pressure gauge is pretty reliable.
Looks great though, I've thought about doing that myself.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

I'm in the minority here, but having owned F355 308 328 512TR 330GT, it's my opinion the Veglia 308 gauages (the green edges, black center, white tip) are simply beautiful designs. Many a beautiful chronograph are anything but simple to read but they're appreciated for their craftsmanship and design. My BMW Z1 has efficient (boring) gaues. My 328 gauges look like something fiat supplied. The 308 QV Veglia gauages are beautiful. I'd recommend highly saving them for as 308s go up in value such VDO modifications will hurt the car. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: eu328lk
I'm definitely part of your minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelsiorZ View Post
I'm in the minority here, but having owned F355 308 328 512TR 330GT, it's my opinion the Veglia 308 gauages (the green edges, black center, white tip) are simply beautiful designs. Many a beautiful chronograph are anything but simple to read but they're appreciated for their craftsmanship and design. My BMW Z1 has efficient (boring) gaues. My 328 gauges look like something fiat supplied. The 308 QV Veglia gauages are beautiful. I'd recommend highly saving them for as 308s go up in value such VDO modifications will hurt the car. Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Well, interest in this now almost 3 year old thread seems to have been revived.

All that I can add is that it has now been close to 3 years, and I haven't regretted the decision to replace the gauges for an instant. I really love the VDO's.

Re-read the first post in this thread where I mentioned my blue-green color blindness. I could hardly read the OEM Veglia gauges.

But yes, the point about the possibility of some future owner not sharing my enthusiasm is well intended. That's why all original gauges and sending units are carefully stored for posterity, with -full- documentation and information about this change.

Swapping back in the Veglia gauges would take me about an afternoon to do. Only problem would be the red needle for the speedo / tach, which would require disassembly to replace.

Cheers - DM
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Bubba
Oil Temperature Gauge??

Oil Pressure is a dash light, in my 1976- 77s......

I think you did a wonderful job of it.....VDO is a good line....
Old 02-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

One more thing ...

Got a private message asking me about a picture of my replacement of the Veglia clock on the console with a VDO Voltmeter.

Pictures enclosed.

Recall that the vertically aligned console gauges are specific only to the 1980 model year.

Enjoy - DM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Consol4.jpg (74.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Consol7.jpg (66.8 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Consol8.jpg (51.4 KB, 256 views)
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: eu328lk
I missed the part about your blue-green color blindness so certainly I could understand much better what you've done even if it doesn't suit my taste. If I could get new guages for my 328 that were identical to the originals but in black/white rather than black/orange I'd do it in a heartbeat. The black/orange is not so easy to read, looks "Playskool-ish" and looks like crap when faded by UV rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave80gtsi View Post
Re-read the first post in this thread where I mentioned my blue-green color blindness. I could hardly read the OEM Veglia gauges.