Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Mr. Sideways
My Garage
Just an update. My new radiator arrived (thanks, Daniel/Ricambi) Friday afternoon and I installed it today. It's a pretty straight forward operation.

Loosen the wheel bolts on the left rear wheel. Now jack up the rear of the car, place a jack stand underneath the rear frame for emergency support (just in case), remove the left rear wheel and inner fender cover (6 phillips screws), remove the radiator cap by hand, drain the left radiator at its bottom right corner (use a large flathead screwdriver) into a 2 gallon catch pan, disconnect the two radiator water hoses and one small gas overflow line (use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the hose clamps on all 3) that is connected by the factory to the fan for convenience (11mm open wrench in back, 10mm socket on left two fan screws).

Now disconnect the fan power wires at the plug and from the fan itself (11mm open wrench in back, 10mm socket on right two fan screws), disconnect the fan, unscrew two screws that hold on the top radiator bracket (13mm socket), then lift slightly up (use a big flathead screwdriver if leverage is required) to get the radiator's two lower support pins out of the frame of the 348 in order to remove the radiator, and replace it with the new radiator.

Reconnect everything. Add coolant until full.

I then had a nice drive (and didn't drip a drop of coolant).

Life is good.

I loosened the two radiator bleed screws on the top right black pipes up on the firewall (10mm open wrench) to attempt to bleed the system with the engine running, then tightened them back up.

I'll have to check when the car has cooled off to see if my coolant level is adequate...though the car ran at very good temps between 185 (after fans had just switched off) to 200 (until fans clicked on again).

I need to add my Water Wetter back in too, I suppose.

Last edited by No Doubt; 04-29-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-30-2006, 04:04 AM
Eight Time F1 World Champ

Full Name: Pap
My Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Doubt
Just an update. My new radiator arrived (thanks, Daniel/Ricambi) Friday afternoon and I installed it today. It's a pretty straight forward operation.

Loosen the wheel bolts on the left rear wheel. Now jack up the rear of the car, place a jack stand underneath the rear frame for emergency support (just in case), remove the left rear wheel and inner fender cover (6 phillips screws), remove the radiator cap by hand, drain the left radiator at its bottom right corner (use a large flathead screwdriver) into a 2 gallon catch pan, disconnect the two radiator water hoses and one small gas overflow line (use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the hose clamps on all 3) that is connected by the factory to the fan for convenience (11mm open wrench in back, 10mm socket on left two fan screws).

Now disconnect the fan power wires at the plug and from the fan itself (11mm open wrench in back, 10mm socket on right two fan screws), disconnect the fan, unscrew two screws that hold on the top radiator bracket (13mm socket), then lift slightly up (use a big flathead screwdriver if leverage is required) to get the radiator's two lower support pins out of the frame of the 348 in order to remove the radiator, and replace it with the new radiator.

Reconnect everything. Add coolant until full.

I then had a nice drive (and didn't drip a drop of coolant).

Life is good.

I loosened the two radiator bleed screws on the top right black pipes up on the firewall (10mm open wrench) to attempt to bleed the system with the engine running, then tightened them back up.

I'll have to check when the car has cooled off to see if my coolant level is adequate...though the car ran at very good temps between 185 (after fans had just switched off) to 200 (until fans clicked on again).

I need to add my Water Wetter back in too, I suppose.

You done well............for once,No Doubt
The little guy said to give you a pat on the back also
Old 04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: The Bad Guy
My Garage
Glad to hear youn have it fixed, and have a spare.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Mr. Sideways
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie
Glad to hear youn have it fixed, and have a spare.
Thanks! I've managed to finagle a spare ABS computer, spare door window motor unit system, spare radiator, spare exhaust ecu, spare MAF, etc...

...this car is becoming an obsession!
Non-Sponsor Ads