simple solution for 348 slow windows | FerrariChat

simple solution for 348 slow windows

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Blazerfrazer, May 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blazerfrazer

Blazerfrazer Karting

May 16, 2006
    South Coast England
    Full Name:
    Frazer Smith
    #1 Blazerfrazer, May 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2021
    I have read various forums about the general problems with slow windows on the 348 and have come up with a simple solution which I've tried and tested on my own ferrari, please have a look at the link below if you are interested

www.ferrariwindow.com

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Very impressive indeed it seems like the unit is some kind of a step up transformer that boost up the voltage to the window motor and allows it to move faster. You are right simple and yet effective. Not only 348 but I think 328 and 308 will also adopt this solution as well. Where is the unit available? and how much.

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice job!

A worthy 348 Brother!

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That is really interesting mate. You done well having at having a go at curing the window problem in the 348. My passenger window takes around 20 seconds to get up and struggles towards the top to close properly. :)

5. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
    Looks to me like it provides a direct ground for the window motor, the trick is, it changes which wire to ground depending on up or down, very clever!!!

6. ninot

ninot Karting

Feb 7, 2004
    Sunny Staffordshire
    Full Name:
    Nino
    buy a spider, leave the windows up and drop the hood
    nice work though

similar problem on the mondial couple of transformers sorts it

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It is a good solution. How do you make a check out for GBP? The cost is only 30 pounds each???
    BT

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Bill -

I just emailed him about how to pay. I'll let you know ASAP.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    OUTSTANDING MATE! What a way to introduce yourself! Welcome to F-Chat. Fantastic post.

10. Blazerfrazer

Blazerfrazer Karting

May 16, 2006
    South Coast England
    Full Name:
    Frazer Smith
    Thanks for all your supportive comments and welcoming to the 348 chat, I must admit I was quite chuffed with myself when it met my expectations when I first tested it.
    I've had a 348 for a year and only really worked and gained knowledge on this model. Interesting to know this box might help other people with other models.
    I'm off on holiday for 3 weeks but I look forward to getting a few of these sent out so you lads can try these out for yourselves.
    I've also added a regular mpeg version of the video as some people had commented they couldn't view the Divx version.
    I'm very flexible on payment methods, please feel free to email me if you're interested and I'll sort it all out when I get back home.

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Keep in mind if you increase the voltage through the window motor you increase amps/heat. Do check the amp draw at the motor before and after. You may end up frying the expensive motors pretty quickly...

Given the infrequency with which a car window is rolled up/down, it may not be an issue.

Otherwise, cool idea.

I do wonder why the voltage you measured was only 7 volts? Where is the resistance? Obviiously the windows worked when the car was new, and the lenght of wiring hasn't changed since... I always thought it was the grease/pulleys, which in your case you tried to fix. So where is the added resistance?

12. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #12 No Doubt, May 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Typically, the lower voltage differential comes from two places: #1 from the door wiring (Amp) connector (see picture below) and #2 from the long ground wire.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Blazerfrazer

Blazerfrazer Karting

May 16, 2006
    South Coast England
    Full Name:
    Frazer Smith
    Hi, thanks for your inputs, Just some areas to clarify on, I appreciate that not everybody reading this has an electrical background and might not fully understand the principals. the supply voltage is approximately 12v at the battery and after the voltage has made its way through the wiring, and the switch it meets the motor which has a fixed resistance when stationary. if you measure the voltage when the motor is not connected, you will measure the same voltage as the battery supplied. only when the motor ( load ) is connected and running will there be a voltage drop. the more you stall the motor the more resistance it will put up and the more the voltage will drop on your meter at the motor. My windows were nearly at a stand still when I took my measurement of 7 volts. this is known as "start or stall current" My box does not increase the voltage at all so it wont ruin anybody's motors.It would have to have separate batteries inside to increase the voltage above the cars main battery, it just offers a short earth path to the correct wire at the correct time. As far as I understand, the windows were not any good from new. they may have just been acceptable when new because the rubbers were soft, connections were better and grease was new etc but still poor and had a definite improvement when the engine was running. as the cars got older, it only took a little more friction and resistance in the wiring to get the windows as they are now. ( I am referring to cars that have NOT got specific faults like broken wires and corroded connections) these obviously need sorting out first and then you are ready for the relay box. In my case, I did grease the runners first and check all connections and ended up with the windows nearly as good as new ( which as I have explained is still not acceptable ) thats when I went on to design the relay box. Thanks for your comments, I will try to check back during my holiday and answer any emails or posts!

Bo Loof likes this.
  14. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Absolutely Fabulous !! I think you will be busy fabing and shipping kits when you return from holiday.
    -Luigi

15. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    NICE....this guy is like the Bill Gates of f-chat w/video...check out the video demo...takes it all to a new level...anyway...I am dying for faster working mondial windows..(esp. the rears) anyone have intimate enough knowledge of the mondial 348 T as to judge whether we have a solution for us here too? Less resistance should work in any case...when I first saw the thread title I was sure some guy rigged up a manual crank for the window and I am somewhat sorry that was not the case since I thank god my XKE with the bad electrics didn't have power windows..I could crank as fast as I damn wanted too....

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That's just...funny!

I owe you a drink for that one.

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You owe everyone beers.........:D
    Just buy a slab of Millers and we will all be right then :D

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Party on No Doubt's tab tonight!

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #19 PAP 348, May 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Hey Mate, Mastercard just called me to confirm a large liquor purchase in Oz on my card...you managed to trigger some sort of company attention with that last booze buy!

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

They even gave my mate a free Bundy shirt......:D

22. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I want to buy one for each door. Tell me what's the best way to pay you and have them shipped when you return. Great job!!

23. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    This means an end to the embarassing "Whats wrong with your windows?" question!

24. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    THIS IS NEW & INNOVATIVE and I have discussed with the poster. At my suggestion he has subscribed and will be posting in FerrariAds.com rather than selling on the main forum, but I see a need for the initial information here so I have undeleted this thread, and he knows not to start new threads just for the purpose of selling since he's not a sponsor.

I see this on the level of Birdman's replacement fuseblocks and Verell's "unobtainium" parts and Scott's adjustable cam pullies -- another innovative and useful technical fix needed by many.

25. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Thanks Mike. I sure do hate my slow windows!