Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Technical Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Robert
Is it safe to assume you will be building more insertion tools after this initial run?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Full Name: Verell Boaen
re: another run?

At some time yes. Right now, It's getting into driving season & I'm not seeing a lot of people coming forward & asking for kits or tools, so my suspicion is that I won't do another run until after the holidays next year when more people will be getting their cars ready for driving season.

However, based on the time required for this run, I've got to see at least 4 or 5 requests before I'll start another one.

BTW, unless I mess up & ruin some of the tools, there are 3 unsold ones in this run.

I've learned the hard way to start with some extras, otherwise one ruined piece & you may have to spend several hours replacing it. The cost for a small run is in the many tool changes, part positioning/clamping setups. For example, I spent 15 minuites each for the 3 table saw setups to cut the 0.255" wide slot for the alignment posts. By cutting the parts for 10 tools with each setup, the setup time/tool for the alignment groove in all 4 parts was 4 to 5 minuites. Yet it would take me 45 - 50 minuites to go back & make the alignment groove in ONE replacement part for a tool!

I havent done a full count(should have) but I it will take around 14 - 16 different setups/tool changes at roughly 5 to 15 minuites each to make N tools, whether N is 1, 10, or 100. Classic example of 'economies of scale' & 'mass production'.

Last edited by Verell; 04-15-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:22 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Made reasonable progress today. I'd thought there was a chance that I'd finish, but as with Ferris, everything takes longer...

All 10 bottom halves are completely finshed!!!

The top halves are now drilled & pinned. The alignment posts have been cut to length.

I still need to drill the tops & alignment posts for the set screw, tap the setscrew hole into the alignment post, mill the banjo recess, drill the banjo barb hole, & double drill the stepped size hole for the injector line.

Based on today's progress, I expect to finish up around 9:00 tomorrow evening. Definitely will ship the orders for tools w/o kits Friday even if I don't quite finish tomorrow night. Now if that Cohline will just show up:

No news from CohlineUSA today, didn't get a chance to call them. Will ping them tomorrow AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

BAD NEWS:
Received another update from CohlineUSA:
"It will ship tomorrow."

Getting it shipped next week is looking really iffy. I need a full day to measure & cut to length, sort into kits, box them up & get shipping labels on them. Next Tuesday afternoon (both FedEx & UPS deliveries come mid afternoon) is the latest it can arrive here as I'll have all of Wednesday get the kits out.

However, by the time they unpack & reship to me, odds are it's going to get here either Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Wednesday afternoon is too late as Thursday I'm committed to help Cindy get ready for our early Friday AM departure.

GOOD NEWS:
The tools are almost done! I just need to tap threads into the alignment post holes & assemble them. Probably another 2 hours will see them done! Will pack up & ship to those who already have kits tomorrow AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

OH $#@% Broke my only M4x.7 tap...

Broke the tap on the 2nd alignment post! I just can't believe it, I even drilled the holes slightly oversize so they'd tap easy! I friggin never break taps, so didn't even think of needing a spare.

I've had that tap since 1988, a Craftsman Kromedge. Haven't used it a lot until recently, but that Kromedge set was made back when they used real chrome-vanadium tool steel. I've used other taps in that set a lot, & they're still as sharp as the day they were made. In the 45 years I've had this set, I've only broken one other tap, & I knew I was taking a risk when I broke it.

Since this is the last step prior to assembly, I'm stuck till I get a replacement tap. Luckily my local HW store now carries metric taps, so I'll take a drive 1st thing tomorrow AM & pick up a couple of whatever kind they stock. Hopefully they'll get me thru this project. Chrome-Vanadium taps are still being made, just hard as heck to find.

Last edited by Verell; 04-17-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 AM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mark W.R.
Verell,

If you find you need to order them from Germany/Europe .........

Mark
Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
F1 Rookie
Project Master

Full Name: pit bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verell View Post
Broke the tap on the 2nd alignment post! I just can't believe it, I even drilled the holes slightly oversize so they'd tap easy! I friggin never break taps, so didn't even think of needing a spare.

I've had that tap since 1988, a Craftsman Kromedge. Haven't used it a lot until recently, but that Kromedge set was made back when they used real chrome-vanadium tool steel. I've used other taps in that set a lot, & they're still as sharp as the day they were made. In the 45 years I've had this set, I've only broken one other tap, & I knew I was taking a risk when I broke it.

Since this is the last step prior to assembly, I'm stuck till I get a replacement tap. Luckily my local HW store now carries metric taps, so I'll take a drive 1st thing tomorrow AM & pick up a couple of whatever kind they stock. Hopefully they'll get me thru this project. Chrome-Vanadium taps are still being made, just hard as heck to find.
Buy taps from Mcmaster or MSC or Rutlands . .. they carry professional grade machine tools . .. compare prices . .. you get what you pay for.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Smile Tapped Out...

Sean, that's so true,
Craftsman tools ain't what they used to be, haven't been since the late '80s. Back when I bought that set, Craftsman tools were as good as any commercial supplier's. Now they're better than HF & NorthernTool, but not commercial grade by any means.

Anyway, Just finshed tapping the last hole! Local HW had Vermont American M4x.7 taps for a whopping $4 each. Only HSS, but it did the job after I drilled the holes another 4 thou oversize. That's some hard key stock!!!, even tho McMaster claims it to be annealed for machinability!
Old 04-18-2008, 04:16 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

I wasn't happy with the way the alignment posts were fitting in the bottom pieces. Just sticking too much, & would sometimes rub when clamped in a vise. So I pulled the bottoms apart & ran a milling cutter thru them to open up the slot & deepen it slightly. Big improvement.

DMaury, mwr4440,gt500blue, & DiscoInferno:
Your tools are all but on their way. They're packed, have prepaid labels on them, but the local post office closed before I could get there. Will go out tomorrow AM fer shure.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Thanks Verell. No hurry here, I barely have any time to work on the car as it is, so getting it running with the new fuel lines is a ways away yet.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lou Staller
How about me? Are my set of lines and tool going to make it out also?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mark W.R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaury View Post
Thanks Verell. No hurry here, I barely have any time to work on the car as it is, so getting it running with the new fuel lines is a ways away yet.

DITTO for me Verell, but the effort is GREATLY appreciated. mwr4440
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

KIT STATUS:

Lou,et al,
Your tools are all built, the holdup is that I haven't received the Cohline for your kits yet, it's still enroute from Germany. I couldn't reach my CohlineUSA contact yesterday to get the shipment's status.

Must get it Monday or Tuesday to ship it before I leave for 2 wks travel. See post #64.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

KIT STATUS: 22-APR

EXPECTED KIT SHIP DATE: Tuesday, 13 May

Called CohlineUSA yesterday. The air shipment hasn't left Germany. The special mfg. run of parts that's been holding up the air shipment didn't meet QA standards & has been delayed again. Target airship date from Germany is later this week(sigh).

I'm sorry, but there's no way it can get here, get kitted & shipped before I leave for my 2 week trip this Friday AM. In fact, it's unlikely that it will get here before I leave. The Cohline should arrive while I'm traveling & be here when I return. I'll be back sometime Friday, 9th. My plan is to make the kits on Monday, 12th, & ship Tuesday the 13th.

I'm sorry about all this, If I'd had an inkling that it was going to go down this way, I'd have passed the hat for another $10-$15/kit & had them do a special air shipment for us.

Last edited by Verell; 04-22-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Verell, I recieved my tool yesterday. Looks very neat! Haven't tried it out yet. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Robert
Verell,

This is like a soap opera .. where in the world is that tubing .. lost in space. Anyway, if you have an unsold tool can you give me the PayPal lingo to order one? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Hi Robert,
All of this batch of tools are already allocated. Send me eMAIL & I'll put you at the head of the 'waiting for a tool' list.

In addition to the line that should be arriving 'any day now' :{ for the April kits, I've still got the shipment of Cohline that was originally supposed to come in mid April, now scheduled for delivery in mid May. So there will be May kits.

When I get 5 names on the 'waiting for a tool' list, I'll runoff another batch of 10 tools.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

KIT STATUS: 13 MAY

SHIP DATE: Thursday 15 MAY 2 days later than last update's projection.

Just got back from 2 wks travel w/o internet access.

The special expedited order + May delivery order of 6mm line came in while I was out.

However, the 5mm & 8mm line is currently enroute to me (order confusion).
UPS tracking says delivery tomorrow (Wed. 14th).
They're usually spot on, so I'm counting on them.

I'll have boxes, shipping labels, & the 6mm lines cut & awaiting the other 5mm & 8mm lines. The kits should ship Thursday the 15th. If you ordered a tool from the initial run of 10 + a kit, they'll ship together.

I've got enough line for 5 or 6 kits beyond what's already on order.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lou Staller
Hooray! I can't wait to change out my fuel lines and see if the car's performance improves. The car seems to be running lean which could be caused by using fuel line that is slightly smaller ID then the factory size. You think?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
F1 Rookie
Project Master

That's great Verell, just in time for my 328 to be back from the paint shop!
It was painted today, see Restauro do 328 GTS! :D
Thanks !
Non-Sponsor Ads