Gas resistant silicone gasket sealant? | FerrariChat

Gas resistant silicone gasket sealant?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Etcetera, May 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Can anyone recommend the best gas resistant silicone gasket sealant? I need something to help seal old float bowls and to form a gasket between the carb and intake manifold an old Briggs.

Thanks in advance.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    A fairly thick paper gasket fitted DRY, no sealant whatsoever.

3. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Looks like that's a good idea for the carb and manifold. I still need something for the float bowls, though.

4. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    I went to Pep Boys last month, and they had just about every type of silicone you can imagine. Many, perhaps all are not compatible with gasoline, but you could check. Using silicone in a carb may not be a good idea... if any small bits break loose, it would not take much to plug or gum up something small and important. If your problem can't be handled with a normal gasket or kit, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try silicone, and then find a new carb or parts if that doesn't work. Good luck :)

5. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    #5 Etcetera, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
    You guys are right. I'm going to skip the silicone on the float bowls...it'll just come back to haunt me. I'd order a kit, but none are available. I did find gaskets that are the correct length, but they aren't formed to the complex shapes of each bowl, and they are impossible *****ers to get seated long enough to get the bowls on. My thought was to use the silicone to hold them in place in certain areas long enough to affix the bowls, but the first set expanded shortly after coming in contact with the Permatex that I was using.

:float bowls are on an old twin cyl motorcycle, not on an old Briggs. :p

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Silicone will break down and bugger up the carb. If you just want to keep the gasket in place for assembly you might try thick grease. The grease is very sticky, compatible with the gacket material and will just wash away once you add fuel.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    What kind of motorcycle?

8. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I used Hylomar to hold the rubber o-rings (that are used for float bowl gaskets on my bike) in place until I could get the bowls in place and the screws snugged up.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    There's really no such thing as "petroleum proof" silicone --- some blends are more resistant than others, but none of them will tolerate long term exposure to gasoline.

Hylomar is the only way to fly when you want to seal against fuels and oils (i.e., petroleum products).

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hylomar ROCKS!

11. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    3bond1211 i think this is the name, completely gas resistant.

12. snactolate

snactolate Rookie

Mar 16, 2010
    ultra black silicon will work as a gasket and is impervious to petrolium products

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Permatex Anaerobic flange sealant, no gasket needed and once cured it is impervious to attack by any conventional solvent, fuel or oil.

pricey though. roughly $15 or so per tube of 50mL.

Same as Loctite 515, same Co. at one time.

The 1211 by three bond is good but I wouldn't use it on a float bowl where it's in constant contact with fuel and vapors.

14. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Wow, your first Post,, #1 is so wordy......
    and, wrong. (sorry)

Once you invent a Gasoline resistant Silicon, call me & we will patent it.
    (Not kidding.)

Edwardo
    Chemical Engineer
    EPA/Dept. of Public Health Certified.

15. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Actually, Dow Corning makes a #730 RTV sealant that is "resistant to many fuels, oils & solvents" but it's expensive. I've used it on intake manifold gaskets and used it to seal the intercooler housing on my 308 as insurance, even though it's also sealed with O-ring string. I had it all apart recently and it seemed to be holding up. The way I use 730, it's not immersed in gasoline. It's only exposed to reversion spray and fumes. The instructions do say it can be used for "assembly and repair of fuel lines and tanks on small engines" so who knows?

In a pinch, when a carburetor insists on leaking, I usually use Hylomar since you can still easily disassemble the components. Great stuff but the fact that it doesn't harden makes it useless in some applications.

Wurth Orange Flange Sealant is anaerobic and also seams to be fuel proof. It only hardens in the joint but then it turns to concrete so it's not recommended for carburetors. Same thing - for certain applications it can't be beat.

16. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    No such thing ---- All silicones are incompatible with gasoline, some mixtures and formulations will last longer than others, but in the end, they will all dissolve or get broken down ----- PERIOD.

17. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    You can say "period" all you want but until you've tried it you don't really know do you?

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #18 finnerty, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    I'll rely on the 30 years of data collected by the M&P Engineers in my industry regarding the performance and usage specs of silicone sealants (including RTV's) ---- they do really know. If the experts in the aircraft and aerospace industries all say these sealants are not compatible with hydrocarbons, I'll take their word for it ---- and, I'll borrow their "period" on the issue.

19. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Are you still using a dial telephone? I do admit they were more reliable.

20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Permatex #1 & #2 form-a-gasket, and flexible thread sealant are all gasoline resitant. They do not have high adhesion though, they are just sealants that need varying amounts of time to cure. #1 is quick and dries relatively hard, #2 is slower and dries very flexible, threaded sealant never dries.
    :)
    BT

21. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    It may not be perfect, but I use the Ford Silicone they use to seal the oil pans on the diesel motors. Very sticky grey stuff. Its stands up to oil, diesel, gas and brake cleaner better than anything I've used.

I think its Ford part number F5TZ-19G204-AB. Only comes in a short caulking gun tube.

Rick

22. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Dow Corning 730

Nothing else comes close.

23. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Agreed -

I have used this to seal fuel pumps to gas tanks.

No problems, other than price ($$$).

24. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Hylomar is better application for gasline and race fuel. But for all engine, transission and other areas 730 is the ticket
    yes you might "think" it is expensive at $80 per 7oz tube unless you like resealing things three to four times over one with the 730

I buy it buy the case, it's that good at keeping things sealed and way fewer comebacks due to leaks as compared to anything else

25. Speedmade

Speedmade Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Reed H
    I learned of this stuff 20 years ago when I worked at a gas station. We used this to seal all the hose connections.
    They make this version that works with gaskets, threads, and sticks to just about any type of material. I used this to seal the fuel level sender on my old Falcon, which was at the bottom of the tank. Worked great.

http://www.gasoila.com/products/items/pls2premiumthreadandgasketsealer.html