Unobtainium Supplies: K-Jetronic Fuel Injecter Puller/Installer tool | FerrariChat

Unobtainium Supplies: K-Jetronic Fuel Injecter Puller/Installer tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Verell, Oct 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #1 Verell, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last spring Birdman posted this very usefull thread that contained a couple pictures of my 1-off injector puller/installer:

Why and How to clean your fuel injectors
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197021

I'm now delivering on the promise I made in the thread to supply production versions of the injecter puller/installer tool. I never expected it to take this long, but it's finally in production!

The following pictures illustrate the tool & it's use:

Picture #1: The 1st production tool's 2 parts.

Picture #2: Using the tool to pull an injector - Basicly to remove an injector, you screw the nut all the way to the top of the threads, slip the cylinder up over the threaded portion of the tool, & screw the threaded end finger tight onto the injector. Then hold the hex top of the tool still with a wrench & use a 2nd wrench (a 'GearWrench(tm) works great here) to turn the nut, pulling the injector out of it's fitting.

The tool can also be used to remove the injector from the seal after you've removed the injector & seal from the riser.

Be sure to check the seal to determine if it needs replacing. If it's 15+ years old, most likely it's hardened & won't survive removing the injector.

Picture #3: The tool loaded with an injectore ready for installation. Just screw the tool on the injector finger tight, lubricate the injector's body with a little engine oil, petroleum jelly, or asembly lube, then use the tool to press the injector into the seal.

Picture #4: After pressing injector into it's seal.

THANKS KERMIT!
    I didn't invent this tool, It's a redesign of one that Kermit sent me pictures of about 5 years ago. I wish to thank him for the concept & permission to use it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #2 Verell, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
    ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS:

Your price is: $107.90 = $97.00/tool + $10.90 S&I to a USA or APO address)

To order a K-Jetronic Injector Puller/Inserter, send PayPal to:

SUBJ: ORDER:Qty n K-Jetronic Injector Puller/Inserter

TO: Orders(at)UnobtainiumSupply(dot)com - (Sorry, but I get swamped with spam when I use the @ & . symbols)

PLEASE:
    1) Include your shipping address, phone # for shipping co. use, & Fchat member name in the eMAIL.
    2) Remember to put the quantity in the subject as I track open orders using eMAIL folders.

To make it easy, you can also send the same info to me via eMAIL at the above address & I'll be happy to send you a PayPal invoice for one click payment.

If you don't use PayPal, Send eMAIL to the same address with the above order information to lock in your order & that you're mailing your payment made out to:

Unobtainium Supply Co.
    523 Longley Rd
    Groton,MA, USA

INTERNATIONAL ORDERS:
    Please send eMAIL with your shipping address, phone #(shipping requires for quote). & I'll get back with S&I costs to you.

I'll eMAIL a response confirming you order.

BTW, the initial run was for 5 pieces, I will happily make more, but once these are sold out, I will need about a 2 weeks after I receive your order to order more of the bolts, then schedule time to machine & assemble the tools.

3. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #3 ramosel, Oct 25, 2009
    I just got Verell's latest iteration of the injector puller tool. Overall it appears the same as the previous but with minor production changes. It still works great!! After trying some of the other "shade tree" suggestions for removing the injectors I just couldn't do it. I just don't like to beat, bang or yank on things.

I was very pleased with just how easily this tool extracted the injectors especially after I got them out and found the rubber seals had "fossilized" (1980 308 GTSi). As you can see in the third pic the injectors actually tore portions of the hardened rubber out with them as they came. Even thought I was able to get 3 of the 8 injector bushings to spin out without removing the injectors first, I still found Verell's tool the way to go for removing the injector from the bushing.

Thanks Verell, you've made an ugly job go very smoothly! ...and I have another toy in the box.

Rick

4. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

that not a hardened portion of anything, that just the o-ring. It should be there.

5. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #5 ramosel, Nov 1, 2009
    On this year, 1980, they did not use O-rings. There is a rubber bushing, Part 114661, that fits inside the metal bushing. The rubber bushing has an internal "bump" that for all intents acts as the O-ring. These bushings had hardened to near stone and when the injector was pulled, it tore the bump out of the rubber bushings. I now have a handful of what seem like plastic bushings with a smooth bore, nothing to hold the injector. the new bushings are quite soft and have the bump ring molded in them. Later cars went to the O-rings, Part 101031 and a different seat.

From a previous thread, not my picture.

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I want to order one but dont understand how the threads on the metal ring (silver circular piece) come out without tearing the threads?

Looks like the puller pulls the injector (bronze piece) so how does it get the silver metal threaded piece out of the hole in the manifold?

7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Once you've pulled the injector then you can get a hex bit into the hole where it was & just unscrew it.

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #8 climb, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
    So the injector comes thru the metal ring and you go back in and hex the ring out later...thanks.

How then do you put the new injector back in if you can't get the hex on the ring since the injector and rubber will be in the hole you'd put the hex in?

Just hand turn?

9. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Nice tool Verell, very simple but obviously effective and gentle too - well done.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #10 Verell, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
    As you use the tool to press the injector thru the threaded ring & into the new rubber bushing make sure the injector's hex fits into the ring's hex. Then you can use fingers & an wrench on the injector's hex to screw the ring into place. Put some anti-sieze on the threads & you'll have a easier job of getting the ring out next time.

The ring doesn't have to be super tight, just snug enough so it doesn't leak air & won't vibrate loose.

11. Juri

Juri Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Juri
    Nice tool! Very clever and practical !

12. fastcarslowride

fastcarslowride Karting

May 21, 2012
    #12 fastcarslowride, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    I am still a little confused . Does the injector twist when you are pulling it out since when you turn on the bolt to lift the injector out ,the brass piece you have on the tip of the bolt would continue to tighten against the top of the injector. Thus turning the whole assembly injector and all. I thought you had to be careful of shearing them I have a 88 328 us

13. fastcarslowride

fastcarslowride Karting

May 21, 2012
    I am still a little confused . Does the injector twist when you are pulling it out since when you turn on the bolt to lift the injector out ,the brass piece you have on the tip of the bolt would continue to tighten against the top of the injector. Thus turning the whole assembly injector and all. I thought you had to be careful of shearing them

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The injector is held in by the O-ring, just a push fit. As the O-rings get old they get hard and brittle and then leak air. This will cause erratic idle. Old O-rings are a little difficult to remove, that is why you need a puller. Replace with new O-rings and while you have them out, clean them. With new O-rings it is easy to put them in.

Ago

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    No
    You hold the bolt rigid & turn the nut. The picture is a bit misleading. I suggest using the box end of a wrench on the bolt head, & a 'gear wrench' or open end on the nut.

Ago is right, plan on replacing the o-ring or the rubber seal, most likely they are cooked & hard as a rock.

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes, have a couple on the shelf.

You can always find out what Unobtainium currently supplies, just look in our catalog available from: Unobtainium Supply Co. - HOME

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've been thinking about how to get stuck injectors out of my 928 and this is BRILLIANT!