Resting hand on gear shift | FerrariChat

Resting hand on gear shift

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdf398, Oct 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Does resting one's hand on the gear shift while driving damage anything or cause any undue wear to anything? I had heard that it is not recommended in the Mondial w/Valeo and was curious about other Ferraris.

2. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #2 FF8929, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    I don't do it. While direct downward pressure won't hurt, there is always a tendency to put forward or rearward pressure on the lever, and this will cause the shifter fork to rub on the syncro ring. This should only be the case, while shifting.

3. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    There are different views (pros & nays).
    The pros say that since the shift lever runs through linkage (3x8's) wear is not taking place.
    The nays (the group I am in - although for different a reason) point out that it be next to impossible to just apply vertical pressure (the point of the pros).
    I used to be a private pilot and any pressure on the yoke/stick once the aircraft was trimed
    for level flight would result in change wheither it air speed or altitude. So I figure considering driving on the road with all the changes in the surface I can not be sure I would not transfer laterial pressure.
    Just my 2 cents.

Stephen

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    While having one hand on the gear shift knob does not particular harm;

How are you going to react in an emergency with only one hand on the steering wheel?

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Funny this just came up - just last week I asked my F-wrench Carlo (servicing
    Ferraris for 40 years) and he also says "don't do it" just to help avoid forward
    pressure and causing fork wear. I'm finding it a hard habit to break, but as another
    poster said, nothing wrong with keeping both hands on the wheel. :)

Jedi

6. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Thanks for the replies. I usually find myself resting my hand on the gear lever when the car is in first, third and fifth (on a 308). it just seems to be in a natural position for resting my hand at those points. I too will try to break myself of this habit.

7. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you ever saw a shift fork worn down paper thin, or blue from overheating against the slider, then watched the owner drive with his hand on the lever, you wouldn't ever ask this question again. Any extra force is extra load. Extra load is extra wear. Its like riding a motorcycle dragging your shoes on the ground and wondering why your soles are worn off.

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I put my hand on my 3.2 Mondial shifter recently. Gave it the slightest forward and backword force and felt my transmission spinning through the shifter, cool, stopped doing it immediately.

9. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Driving a Testarossa w/ no power steering I find that I always have two hands on the wheel.. Just keep your hands on the wheel and you'll be fine.. :)

R

10. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, there we have it. My New Year's resolution this year was to keep my mit off the lever.

Though, with gum on my boots I do try to burn it off by dragging them on the ground riding my Harley :):).

11. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I would think the ball detent on the shift fork would keep small amounts of pressure on the shifter from doing anything negative to the trans.

12. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Resting your hand on the shift lever is no different than resting your foot on the clutch pedal.

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i see much damage from resting a hand on shift lever. Just do not do it.

14. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I haven't give this much thought.

For some reason, I don't cruise with my hand on the knob in the 308, but did with the 330 and other manual trans cars I've owned, have been told it's not a good habit.

I guess the particular seat adjustment & angle I need make it uncomfortable.

Lesson learned: Keep your hand off your knob while driving.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Guessing good advice with any tiptronic or Valeo style.

16. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Aside from mechnical damage, it's also not very good to drive with just 1 hand. If you watch the pros drive on youtube, you'll see that they only rest their hands on the shift lever to pre-empt their shifts and quickly place that hand back on the steering wheel immediately after the shift.

17. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    +++. Same here. If you need to dodge a squirrel or a 2x4 off the back of a truck, you WILL need two hands. On the other hand, I think it would take a lot of pressure on that gated shifter to make anything happen in the gearbox - just resting your hand there for a moment prior to a shift is probably IMHO not that big a deal.

18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Isn't tiptronic an electrically controlled system, not mechanical? If so, then resting your hand on the shifter should make no difference at all, as long as you don't press hard enough to trigger a gear shift. Same with paddle shifters... resting fingers on them does nothing until you press hard enough to cause a shift.

But I do agree with not resting your hand on the mechanical manual transmission shifter or foot on the clutch pedal. "Riding the clutch" can burn it out really fast. And, while we are at it, when you are stopped, don't hold down the clutch pedal. Put it in neutral and let off on the clutch, otherwise you'll cause premature wear on the throwout bearing (or so several mechanics have told me).

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    thanks for this.

20. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    DON'T DO IT.

21. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    how long is your arm? i rest my hand on the handbrake grip. i have to reach out for the gear lever.

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    More than long enough. In my M I have trained myself to rest it by the base of the stick. That way it is close at hand and I can shift without thinking but I don't have my hand on the stick.