Metric Fasteners Gold Zinc Cad Plated | FerrariChat

Metric Fasteners Gold Zinc Cad Plated

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, May 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #1 robertgarven, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys,

I just want to let all of you know of my source for metric fasteners. They have been having some rough times but still in business so I thought I would give them a plug. Lori and Linda are the ones to talk to tell them I sent you. BTW Once I was buying some nylock hex nuts from them and said that a ferrari dealer was on the other line...... :)

This is a little selfish of me also as some of the nuts I need like Gold 10x1 & 10x125 etc they are out of and they need more demand to order them. They also only sell in quantity and used to sell only to businesses but will sell to the public but you have to buy assortments or packs of 50-100. For anyone that works on their car they quality and service has been very important. I have not yet found any other source for the gold cad zinc chromate fasteners if anyone has another source I would like to hear about it?

If not help them out and lets keep those correct gold fasteners available!!! They dont have a website but here is there contact info

650-592-2722

Thanks

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    are you talking about global metric , if so I have been using them for years getting good hardware from them . I love going in there and finding the right bolt or nut for the job

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #3 robertgarven, May 27, 2010
    Yes! I posted a bag with their info but the number changed and like an idiot I did not add the name! here is the bag with the old numbers!

4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Yes! Global is great. I've been buying from Lori and Linda for years too. They have many other great metric bits. Like the Bosch fuel injection plumbing bits, fuel lines, fantastic assortments of electrical connectors for fuel injection hardware and much more. They also have the hard to find tiny metric cotter pins. very handy.

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have not yet found any other source for the gold cad zinc chromate fasteners if anyone has another source I would like to hear about it?

Winzer
    Wurth
    Metric and Multistandard

to name a few off the top of my head.....

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Interesting that they don't have a website.....that I could find.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, May 28, 2010
    Global Metrics can also supply the (soft) solid Copper (W60) and solid Aluminum (W63) sealing washers -- the prices are out of date, but here's a sheet showing the typical W60 (DIN 7603A) sizes:

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just called them but no answer. I did not leave a message though, I will try them again later.

9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    They close kind of early. Especially on Friday.

10. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I love Global. I can't say enough good about them - quality parts, prices and customer service. They also carry the valve shims for the pre-348 cars.

11. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    nice to know - for the recent engine-out major and suspension refresh I got all my metric fastners from McMasterCarr. Usually arrived the next day for <$5 s&h, but I'm sure the zinc finish is not 100% correct.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I live 1 mile from Metric Fastener and I buy stuff from them all the times. Their hours are 7AM to 3PM. The 3PM is reliable, the 7AM is not so much. Closed on the weekends. If you buy in small quantities, showing up (like me) is best then one of the ladies will give you personal attention in finding the right fastener for you. The other one, well, she is not as friendly. They can even get the cloth hoses, but you have to buy bulk.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Yelcab,

Do they have a number or website Global has a few items they cant get. Im looking for gold cad exclusively?

Rob

Thanks

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks.

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I've been looking for a source for high strength metric bolts with plating...and so far haven't been successful. Specifically, I'm looking for metric 10.9 or 12.9 bolts (and equivalent nuts) with some kind of plating - color doesn't matter to me, just that the bolt has a protective/plated finish so it's reasonably resistent to corrosion. This is for various suspension components or elsewhere where high strength fastners are necessary. Many places sell 10.9/12.9, but not plated. Any leads are appreciated.

For other areas where high strength is not necessary I use SS with a bit of anti-sieze to prevent galling.

16. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The plating process causes embrittlement in the bolts. That is why you don't see plated bolts higher than 8.8 strength. The 10.9 and 12.9's are all going to be finished in black oxide.

Brian Brown
    Patrick Ottis Co.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cad plating is done all the time in the aerospace industry in a process that avoids embrittlement. It is offered by many platers that do Milspec, aerospace or even FAA approved work. Many fasteners on cars including Ferrari are either 10.9 or 12.9 and are cad plated. It is done.

18. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Thanks. I agree, I'm very aware that the plating process affects it and therefore most 10.9 and 12.9 bolts are bare/oiled or black oxide. However, as Brian indicates, it is done, and done properly somewhere - there are indeed lots of cad plated 10.9/12.9 fastners on airplanes that I've seen, and also on some race cars I've seen. My own gt40 has some of these. My problem is that I can't seem to find a supplier however.

You'd think that out here in Seattle with Boeing just up the street it wouldn't be a problem finding this stuff locally. But, so far, no dice.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack the thread here, just would love to find a supplier of 10.9/12.9 fastners with some plating (so they don't rust a week after going on the car!).

Thanks!

19. John Z. Goriup

Mar 4, 2009
    Walnut Creek, CA US
    Full Name:
    John Z. Goriup
    I have always had good luck finding pretty much any and all metric fasteners here:

Bowlin Equipment Co.
    1107 10th Street
    Berkeley, CA 94710-1299
    (510) 527-8282

They specialize in fasteners, know what they're talking about and as an added bonus, they're mere blocks from Patrick Ottis, where you can always see rare Ferraris being massaged.

Good Luck