How to remove the alternator from 308GT4? | FerrariChat

How to remove the alternator from 308GT4?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pete137, Feb 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pete137

pete137 Rookie

Feb 20, 2011
    Worthing
    Full Name:
    Pete Thornton
    Hi
    I'm new to Ferrari ownership, and new to this site.. I hope someone can help with a quick query!
    My (otherwise lovely) 308GT4's alternator has celebrated my new ownership by having a fit and I'm hoping it can be extracted and re-built.. I've had a cautious exploratory poke about underneath and the restricted access is about as expected, but I'm hopeful that it can be got at without taking the entire car apart (?)
    Anyone know an auto-electricians (I am based in the UK) that could re-build the unit and save me the £200-odd cost of a replacement?

I'd also like to have the electric window motors overhauled at some point too...

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Through the right side wheel well it is fairly easy. From memory it goes like thid: Disconnect the battery. Remove the wheel well liner. Remove the bolts holding the alternator in. Rotate it 90*, remove the heat shield, remove the wiring. Remove the alternator. Go to local auto pars store. Ask for 1980 Fiat Spider alternator. Confirm that they are exactly the same and pay $40 for it. Swap pulleys. Reinstall.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I found I had to drain the cooling system a bit and disconnect the pipe leading up to the thermostat housing and move it slightly over to one side, so the alternator had more room to come out.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its always worth a look in the 308 section as most questions have been asked before

Also you can download a workshop manual form www.ferraridatabase.com