ferrari red | FerrariChat

ferrari red

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferrariredwhichone, Apr 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariredwhichone

Apr 9, 2012
  2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hi,

My 02c; I wouldn't try using automotive paint on wood - It's generally considered a little too "hot", although I admit I have no experience with the guys linked above.

A quick trip to your your local hobby store will turn up plenty of options - Tamiya's X7 (from memory) is pretty close and comes in both rattle cans and jars. They also introduced a "bright mica red metallic - TS85" which is the same as they used on the F60 - It's a little "richer" and a tad darker, but may look really cool.

Post pix once it's done! Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Ian

3. ferrariredwhichone

Apr 9, 2012
    thanks Ian. what hobby store? where?
    i'm painting a guitar but i am told automotive paint should be just fine.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Anyone that sells plastic model kits, radio control stuff etc. If you don't have one locally, there's many online places of course.

You're probably OK with auto paint, but a lot of it is pretty "nasty" to work with - Toxic, often needs a separate hardener and a booth to be done properly.

Cheers,
    Ian

5. bling5

bling5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    use paint and varnish instead of aerosol.

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Tamiya is acrylic ... not sure that's what you want.

I am going to paint my ashtray Rosso Corsa (the rest of the interior is black aside from the stripey Daytona seats) .. anyone have a line on a rattle can that comes close to Rosso Corsa?

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Even if you match it 100% with *real auto paint*, it wasn't painted at the Ferrari factory. So it's still going to lack a "Ferrari mystique".

So why would you use automotive paint on WOOD, if there's a wood-intended paint alternative that looks 99% identical? Don't be overly OCD about this sort of thing.

Use the proper paint.

8. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    How about valve-cover wrinkle finish ... which rattle can gives the closest "rosso corsa" red?

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Guys: It's a 5 year old thread, and the OP hasn't been on Fchat since 15th April 2012!

Added to which, technically there is no such colour as "Ferrari red" -Just various shades of red that Ferrari use for their cars (the most common of which these days is Rosso Corsa)

10. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Russ, why would you reply to a thread that is 5 years old?

GT

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    ... never die.

For example, I have the same question. And others are bound to want to know as well. And I don't have an answer yet. Which rattle can paint comes closest to Rosso Corsa in both lacquer and wrinkle finish?

So rather than starting a brand new thread on the subject, I just picked up the old thread so it's all in one place.

Does that satisfy the thread police?