Blinking gear light + transmission light | FerrariChat

Blinking gear light + transmission light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MamoVaka, Apr 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    Guys,

I did some research and it has helped a bit but maybe someone here can help me a bit more:

I have

new f1 pump (bled twice)
    new Kevlar cutch package
    new TCU (2004 model year)
    ferrari dealership did a TCU set up after all this was done.

problem:
    when driving (it has happened in auto mode three times in past 2 days)

not heavy driving just tooling around town after 30min-1hr:
    the car beeps and shows a blinking gear light as well as the transmission light.. the car will either stay in gear and wont go up and down and after a minute or two of driving the blinking gear goes away and so does the transmission light and the car is back to normal

or

I pull over put it in neutral wait a few seconds and all lights go back to normal.

I drove the car around in manual and this hasn't happened at all (but not sure maybe I just didn't drive it around in manual enough or I shift less in manual)

any idea? could a new pump go bad that quickly? Any ideas at all?

I felt the pump hose when the car is cold and I do feel moisture right where container that holds the f1 fluid and hose meet.. could be normal moisture I have no clue.

Any idea what the problem can be?

2. Philcat

Philcat Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    MD
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I've heard that the Kevlar clutches may not be compatible with the firmware in the F1 TCUs. There was a post awhile back with someone having issues with this.

3. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
    OK someone sold you a F1 pump motor, I assume for good reason. Did they also replace the F1 pump relay. Your symptom fits with a failing relay. Which should have been replaced if there was a reason to replace the F1 pump motor.

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I've also read that they (Kevlar discs) can take a considerable length of time to bed in fully. Perhaps the auto system is less tolerant than when in manual and it senses something (heat / slippage) and just gives up?

5. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I have 1k miles or more at this point on the kevlar clutch, it did operate poorly for the first few hundred miles but has gotten considerably better.

I have considered that as a possibility as well..

6. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    Yes, the F1 pump failed on me and was replaced a month before I purchased a clutch. I will look into the relay to see if that was replaced as well.

7. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I had the blinking gear light but did not have the transmission light. Turned out the actuators had to go through a recentering process. It is part of the actuator service. I've told you all I know but I was told it was more of an adjustment and nothing is technically wrong.

Best of luck!

8. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    I topped off the F1 oil, and it turns out the relay was not replaced so I will get another relay as well.. Again this problem didn't occur at all yesterday (over 1 hr of driving) i'll replace the relay and will see if I get that alert again.