Is Glycoshell still made? | FerrariChat

Is Glycoshell still made?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by up4speed, Jul 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    When I bought my car last month, the dealer changed all the belts, fluids, and filters (allegedly). I know the owners manual on my 2004 360 calls for Glycoshell, the receipt for the work shows Glycoshell, and the fluid in the tank is bluish.
    I'm looking to add a little antifreeze to top off the recovery tank. It's not losing any, it is stable for the past 300 miles or so. I just wanted to bring it up to the factory spec. I can't seem to find the stuff anywhere! I tried online, etc. I also heard rumors that the Glycoshell is not blue anymore, I also heard a different rumor that they stopped making it in 2010. What is the truth? I need somefluid and don't know what to do? I am also a little afraid to hear the answers because it may mean that I have the original fluid in there and "someone" who was supposed to change the fluid, DIDN'T!
    Please tell me where I can get the stuff. Thanks!

2. HeavyR

HeavyR Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Devon
    Full Name:
    harvey jones
    Our shell supplier has told us it is no longer made , they have been supplying us an equivalent antifreeze instead for the last few months .

3. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    If you're only topping off the tank a little then just put in some deionised water. If you must put in antifreeze then you can use any Glycol based brand (usually coloured blue) - whatever you do don't put in Organic Acid Technology (OAT) antifreeze (usually red in colour).

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you both for the heads up. What is the new stuff called? What color is it? And is it fully compatible/mixable?
    Thanks!

5. Arturin

Arturin Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    Spain
    Interesting I had no idea, I´ve been searching a lot for it. Before I could find it in any shell gas station but last month when I did my fluid change I couldn´t find it. I had to use the bmw antifreeze which was the only one I found to be blue and to be used by many fchatters.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't know if is compatible but Honda anti-freeze is blue, and most of their motors are all aluminum.

Ago

7. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    I just top off with distilled or deionised water. If you keep up with your maintenance, you shouldn't have to do anything. If you just have to put something in the car to feel better, keep a jug of Prestone Extended Life in your garage.

8. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    #8 dersark_painclinic, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    They carry all shell products.

Www.mil-specproducts.com

9. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Confusion? the mil-specproducts.com web site indicates that the Glycoshell concentrate IS an OAT based antifreeze. Did I misread?

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I tried calling them, they only sell a case of 12 Liters. I only needed 1 liter for a top off. I did wind up finding it at Miller Motor Cars in CT. They shipped it to me. I got lucky, I can't believe how long it took to find!

If I remember correctly from talking to Shell tech support. It is some kind of OAT hybrid type thing. He didn't really explain it too well, but it is something more unique than the standard categories found off the shelves of auto parts stores. It wasn't like the off the shelf fluid that is labeled as a hybrid OAT from what I gathered, but something more like their own hybrid formula. I don't know, it was too confusing, and I'm not so ssure that the tech support people were 100% on the ball either. In a nutshell, it is their own thing that doesn't have another brand 100% equivalent. Other fluids may mix ok with it, but no exact equivalent.

11. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Isn't it better to find something that works well and is commonly available so that if you ever need more you can get it anywhere. What happens if you blow a coolant hose one day and need to fill it and you have to mail order the stuff ?

Oh yeah, my car has Glycoshell in it right now :) but next time I flush it out I would prefer to use something I can find anywhere assuming it works and does not damage anything. I would assume any coolant made for all aluminium engines is fine, like someone already said Honda coolant for example, I would prefer something I can get at a autoparts store.

12. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    If you are looking for the BRAND shell glycoshell they have it in the stock, so what is the confusion.

Sark

13. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    #13 dersark_painclinic, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    2NA likes this.
  14. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    #14 voicey, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Please see the attached Shell specification - 2nd page, 4th paragraph:

EDIT: I see that someone has already posted the exact same spec sheet!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. svolk

svolk Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Sarasota Fl
    #15 svolk, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    Zerex G-05 contains nitrites (quantity not specified) whereas Glycoshell apparently is nitrite free. Any concerns?

16. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    I have both versions of Glycoshell (Longlife-blue and Longtime-pink) in stock for my Service Department. I have the blue in litre bottles for my OTC Clients but cannot yet get the pink in liters. My backup for that is Pentosin SF.

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree, but just be careful about mixing coolants. I heard that if the wrong 2 mix, it may cause the coolant to gel up. I don't know if it is rumors, but I didn't want to take chances. I felt the safest thing was to use what the book says. Since that's what was in my car already, that's what I wanted to also top off with. You are correct though, when I change it next time I think I'll find something locally available. My other option will also be to just buy the case of liter bottles on line. I'll worry about that when I have a repair, or have to do a flush again.

18. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    In that case Use Pentosine SF Products as Ferrari delears use it.
    Sark

19. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Yes, I heard the same thing about not mixing coolants because they might gel up, never heard of that until I owned a Ferrari. I had a coolant leak when I bought my 360 so I had to find and put in Glycoshell since that was in my car, luckily my dealer had it. Once everything is sealed up, I would like to flush out the entire system and put something in that I can get locally and easily but I will flush the system first.

20. Patrick 360

Patrick 360 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Summerfield NC
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    What do you guys think of running Zerex G-48? I found online that Comma Xstream G48 mentions it protects Ferrari (page 2 of their BASF approval letter 2017) but I could not find it in the USA. I am not sure if it is the same as the Zerex G-48 but it does meet the same specs of Glycoshell and is Blue in color (ASTM D 3306, ASTM D 4985 and SAE J 1034).

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Zerex G-48 is generally not recommended for cars with wet cylinder liners. G-05 works fine, but needs to be changed at least every two years. One of the newer OAT coolants will work with our wet cylinder walls, but I have not researched them enough for a recommendation, since I use G-05.. The additives in OAT coolant will last about 5 years, but G-05's additives are shot after two years.

Kevin Rev'n and 2NA like this.
  22. Patrick 360

Patrick 360 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Summerfield NC
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thank you for the information, I have also heard of 360 owners using Pentosin NF Blue? Any thoughts on using Pentosin? Just wondering. I will probably flush and use G-05

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Zerex G-05 is what I put in all my client's cars. All coolants should be changed at least every two years.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  24. Patrick 360

Patrick 360 Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Summerfield NC
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    A friend of mind stopped by a Ferrari dealership and they sell Pakelo Coolant G48® Blue Green. Anyone ever use this stuff? I have also been told that BMW G48 blue and Zerex G48 are all compatible. Not sure but will probably Zerex G05

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I would not put G48 in a Ferrari. G05 was just updated in 2020 with the latest additives and specifically states it protects engines with wet liners.