Opinions on this garage floor tile | FerrariChat

Opinions on this garage floor tile

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jedi, Apr 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 Jedi, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    http://www.costco.com/Motofloor%C2%AE-Garage-Tiles-BlackWhite.product.100009181.html

Am I on the right track here or way off base? I'm in the middle of a big garage
    makeover and want the traditional checkerboard floor. There are HUNDREDS of
    styles brands choices and prices....

I could really use some guidance here - and SOON. My builder cannot understand
    the concept of "Black and white" - he keeps bringing samples of "salt/pepper black
    and creamy beige" - so I thought I'd just order it myself.

Anyone with experience please chime in

For the record, I'm going to need 20' x 22' According to the Costco calculator
    that's 480 tiles and about $1300 - does that seem right?

Thanks!

Jedi

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks okay to me.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I did change the link to the one in the "edit" - from Costco

Jedi

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I am not sure if you are familiar with this site. It is a terrific resource for garage projects and upgrades. Sme of the projects are very large ("garage mahal" types), others very modest. Check out Jack Olsen's 12-gauge garage thread.

As you will read there's everything from epoxy, to plastic / synthetic to ceramic and porcelain and discussion of why one one flooring material has been chosen over another. If I were going to put down tile, I'd use porcelain in my garage as, to me, the finished look is great and durability is high but it is a personal choice.

Have fun. The site is quite intoxicating, as his one is!
    Philip

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow.... that's almost overwhelming! Just makes the choice more difficult, honestly.
    Thank you for posting - crazy amount of info there on GARAGES! Who knew?

I'm leaning towards the last link I posted. Going to call the company tomorrow and
    get the lowdown - I'm not going for Garage Mahal - and my head is sore from reading
    endless debates over garage flooring! I just need it to be black/white checkerboard,
    be stain resistant, and LAST. That second link has a 12 year warranty, free shipping,
    and a 25% discount for April - that's all music to my ears.

Jedi

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yes, it is a great site and there are some terrific threads. I think Jack Olsen's 12-gauge garage thread is up to 150 pages! Anyway, I did not mean to add too many choices and produce the "school boy in the candy store" effect. Good luck.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Philip! Still very good reading... overwhelming to me! I'm going to call those
    guys in my last flooring link in the AM and chat it up. Pretty sure I'm going to go with
    them because of the user comments, 25% sale, and free shipping. Looks exactly what
    I'm after and at a reasonable price, all things considered

Jedi

9. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i used the peel and stick 12x12 tiles i bought for a quarter each. been down for eight years now with no problems.

10. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Jedi,

I am thinking of acid staining my back patio and possibly my garage floor. I have contemplated different flooring for my garage but I think anything I put down will get chewed up/destroyed by my scissor lift.

Is acid staining and sealing the current concrete an option?

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 up4speed, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went with those same Motofloor tiles. I like them, and they are easy to maintain...however, they are not perfect for everyone.
    I want to start by saying that I do a lot of work in my garage, but it's mainly maintenance type light work. For example, all fluid changes, tune ups, suspension work, brake and tire work, exhaust work, etc. just to name a few. One damage prevention step that I take is that I put down an old shower curtain to protect the floor from splashes, under the area where I'm working.
    After-work maintenance is also fairly easy. When I'm done working, or when necessary, I vacuum and mop the floor. It cleans up nicely, but the white tiles may need a little extra care maybe once or twice a year. Extra care means that I have to litterally get on my hands and knees with paper towels, and clean each white square with simple green spray. It's a little bit of a pain, but not too bad, it only takes about 1/2hr to 40 min. (20'x26' garage) once or twice a year. With the way I use the floor, it's not a bad product. If used differently, it may not work out that great for you. For instance if you need to do welding on it, or if you have to drag jacks or other heavy equipment on it, I would not recommend it. Another BIG deal killer for that floor would be if you are using the garage daily, in all kinds of weather. If you did that, I would imagine that the floor would become a mess in no time. If it gets wet all the time, or if it gets melted dirty snow, it wouldn't look attractive at all. In that case I think you would be better off with a good epoxy (that's what I'm going to do for my daily use garages).
    Another hint if you use the black and white tiles. Try to plan a design where you can use all black tiles where the car tires roll. I've had mine installed for about 3 years and the paths where the tires go, gets very dirty. I can clean those areas with simple green, but it gets a little rough on the surface, and it's impossible to get them perfectly clean. It's not too bad, but it still bothers me a little. If I planned to put dark tiles in the tires path, the floor would still look 100% new!
    All things considered, I'm glad I used it in my garage,I love the look, and I would do it again!
    I attached a picture of it after I installed it, but before the cabinets and tools were added.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I almost spit out my drink when I read this! Porcelain!?! Who knew?!!? I will look into it, and can't wait to have time to dig into the Garage Journal site!

13. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I would stick with Racedeck. I think their tiles are better quality and they will replace damaged tiles with no questions asked (even if you melt a few while welding). Yes, they are a big more expensive but not much and their support makes it worth it.

If you are going to be welding a lot, then ceramic is the best way to go, otherwise for normal car work the plastic tiles will work great, I have had my Racedeck down about 12 years now, pulled many a engine/gearbox on them and they still look great when I clean them.

Racedeck will send you out free samples and if ever in SB feel free to come and take a look at my garage floor. Oh yeah, Jorgen (Racedeck owner/CEO) will give Garage Journal discounts when you order.

14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well, for better or worse I just ordered 440 square feet divided white
    and black with 5 spares of each to be delivered in 10 days.... seems to
    be very good quality stuff with great reviews - been featured on a bunch
    of DIY sort of shows and seem to have a strong footprint in this market.

Jedi

15. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Can you tell us the description of what you ordered?
    The link doesn't take me to a specific product. You've inspired me!

16. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #16 Jedi, Apr 15, 2013
    It's the "Diamond Grid Lock" - see image below. I'm also going to try the
    yellow "Ferrari logo" accents per my layout below. Might make it too busy but
    it's easy to try a row and if it works, great - if not, I have plenty of black and
    white to complete the pattern either way.

Very reasonable pricing - $1048.32 for all the black and white, plus a mere
    $20 more for the 9 yellow tiles I added. Free shipping, no sales tax (unless
    you're in Arizona). My garage is 20 x 24 feet - so I thought was a pretty
    reasonable price.

Jedi

17. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #17 normv, Apr 15, 2013
  18. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Norm, forget the floor tile. Sell me the woman!!!!!

19. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I just saw the new floors at Redline Restorations's site. they are a sponsor here. They went with stained concrete. Abolutely stunning. A friend of mine does these floors in commercial spaces of every conceivable use. They are virtually indestructible and last for years. Plus you can change themes down the line. Some of them even have shower type drains with a sump so you don't have a stroke if you "actually" spill something. Inexpensive to do at this point, and you will think of yourself as the smartest guy on the planet. Plus..they cean up nicely with a floor squeegee. Jq.

20. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not so much if your concrete has cracks pits and permanent stains. I'd have to
    pour a whole new slab with finishing level designed for staining. Ruled all that out
    day one. I even had to rule out "glue down" tile for similar reasons.

The tile I've ordered "sits on" the concrete.

Either way - it's a done deal. It's on it's way here.

Jedi

21. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Apparently it is a lot harder than ceramic!

22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    IIRC Racedeck makes the Motofloor product.
    I ordered samples from both and compared. They are VERY similar. However, if you look closely, Racedeck is a little better constructed. I don't remember the exact difference, but I think that the plastic was thicker (very slight difference) on the support ribs or something like that.
    After looking at them carefully and considering the HUGE price difference (I think it was <$2 VS $6), I went with the Motofloor, and they work perfectly, I love them. There is no logical reason that I can think of, where the extra plastic thickness was needed.

23. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No problem whatsoever with free and open debate of which floor is best etc., and
    that's all valuable discussion.

But please note: MY floor has been ordered. So I won't be really too interested
    in alternate suggestions aimed at ME and MY project. I made that decision fairly
    early today, based a couple posts here and LOTS of favorable internet reviews.

Just so's ya know - not trying to stifle discussion, but sometimes people post
    after only reading the subject line and might have missed the part about
    "Ok for better or worse, I just placed my order"

For ME, it's a done deal - tiles are on their way. Yellow ones too.

:)

Jedi

24. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Hey Jedi
    I made the same decision you did--ordered 440 red and black--from another company at a similar price--supposed to arrive tomorrow. Hope we like it--

25. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Cool! Seems like pretty good stuff! I almost went red and black, but thought with
    a red Ferrari it would just be too much RED. As it is, I'm concerned I might
    end up with too much yellow - so will do a few test rows before committing.
    I may well end up 100% black white in the end. won't know until I see the
    "real deal" laid on my floor.

Fun doing a garage overhaul, isn't it? this is a frickin' BUCKET LIST thing for me.

May not be Jay Leno's garage, but it will be the best garage I could ever hope for
    in my lifetime. It's REALLY COOL that Mrs. Jedi is 100% behind me on this, every
    step of the way. It's so encouraging - especially as I'm spending money like a drunken
    sailor, and SHE pays all the bills. She has NO PROBLEM with it - quite the opposite.

Mrs. Jedi is truly the Princess Grace of my life :)

Jedi