F355 - Clicking noise from pumpkin | FerrariChat

F355 - Clicking noise from pumpkin

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JeffBarber, Feb 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Is this normal .. it goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed. I got a p0336 "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit" too, could it be related? I also have what feels like a cylinder mis when I cruise slowly in 6th gear at low RPM, it shutters pretty bad. I'm thinking it could be my p0336. My thinking is first to replace the crankshaft sensor, then the plug wires (they're old) but I would like first any advice I can get, thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdReaHw9gPM&feature=youtu.be

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    No the error code is real. Sensor getting faked out by clicking = perceived misfire/shudder.
    Locate click with mechanic's stethoscope. Noise at top of box by clutch lines can be loss of clutch shaft lockring and gear crunching. Broken pressure plate fingers can sound like that. How does the clutch action feel? Any recent over rev conditions? Dry flywheel packs can rattle like a click too as the plastic parts rattle back and forth. Bad throw out bearing can rattle like that too.

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I agree with fatbillybob, find the mechanical issue. It is most likely causing the sensor issue. I have seen a similar issue with the sensor "malfunction" caused by an engine mechanical issue on a 355.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I lost the clutch support bearing in the pumpkin one time. Made the whole engine sound like it had a broken crankshaft, and emitted a squeal just like a tensioner bearing going bad.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Pull the clutch off and have a look. Should be pretty obvious.

6. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks all, I will put my new stethoscope on it then pull it apart this weekend, I'll keep you posted. I did go for a small spin in a track event Sunday, seems to have started after that, but maybe I just perceived it did.

7. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The noise I figured out with my new stethoscope was coming from the flywheel area. I've pulled the pumpkin apart, removed the clutch and can spin the flywheel while standing it vertical (doesn't do it laying flat) and hear noise. Just wondering if a rookie mechanic like me can research enough to figure out how to rebuild it? I've read this so far:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/152737-355-flywheel-grease.html

Any words of advice much appreciated!

8. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well turns out there is a ton of info on going thru the flywheel, thanks everybody, i'll try to post credits after i'm done .. now le me see if I can fabricate that $100 spindle socket..

9. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #9 JeffBarber, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've read in a couple of places where I may need to press the flywheel out of the bearing that sits in the pumpkin, leaving the bearing in the pumpkin. My question is, can I simply put pressure with a press to the socket pictured here or will that crack my pumpkin? HELP!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It depends on how much pressure is necessary. I've never had trouble, be careful.

11. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #11 JeffBarber, Feb 28, 2014
    Here she is so far .. Oh, the bolt size to push out the cover is a M10x1.0, longer the better, mine was 50mm (Home Depot) and the Star PLUS socket I used was a TP45. Looks like I don't have a whole lot of grease yet I found not grease drop number one that had escaped, only dust. Waiting on parts now..

P.S there is a ton of help specific to 348's but this is the best help specific to 355 thus far -->

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/152737-355-flywheel-grease.html

12. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is likely a dumb question .. I'm putting it all back together and I'm pretty sure that the pressure plate's legs ride on top of the vertical tabs on the flywheel, but I just want to be sure, can someone confirm? It confuses me because I read where the outer edge of the flywheel is slightly raised from the friction part and to make sure you grind that part down as much as you did the other part, but if the pressure plate rides on top of the vertical tabs seems like nothing is in contact with the raised outer edge HELP!

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did you watch the video MadDog made? It's in the 355 DIY sticky.

14. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I posted too soon, I now see where the PP goes down inside the tabs as I tighten the m6 bolts. Sorry!

15. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Drat! Noise didn't change. I replaced the 3 bearings, 3x seals, new Kluber grease, Hill T/O I did last year. I didn't replace clutch friction surface or have anything ground, just put it back same orientation. Same exact noise. Happens when car is in neutral and clutch is out, or it's on the lift and in gear. I have also what seems like a rough idle and rough running while in high gear like 6th and low speed/rpm. At idle I can look at my reviews and see them jump up and down. I'm thinking maybe the rough idle is moving my flywheel around and making it make noise, or is it the flywheel making my rough idle (?), or two separate problems. Well next I may try to put some new PMR7A's in I got off ebay new for 30 bucks and see if I can smooth it out some, heck I don't know. I bought some $50 plug wires too but not sure if I can get them on, haven't opened the box, may need the $400 ones.

16. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My theory is this: The clutch friction plate's spindle has enough play (maybe worn some) as it sits on the input shaft to make a noise as it gets jerked around by a rough idle .. crazy?

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well the way to minimal frustration in this hobby is diagnosis. Sometimes as you learn skills and really learn about the car you can make a faster accurate diagnosis. So you took a shot guessed wrong and now the real guessing begins. That may have been a costly mistake but its a hobby and one day you would need to redo the clutch anyway so chalk it up to a lessen learned about what that noise is not.

So your options are take it to a pro for at least a diagnosis or at least a better guess. What is the ship labor for an hour? 75-100 bucks? Another option is to isolate systems. First listen to the noise very carefully and try to nail if down. has it changed from before you took the clutch out? Are you moving the stethescope all around the engine/gearbox like the side covers on the box? Sound has a funny way of traveling. What else could be wrong? If you carefully inspected and put the clutch back are you confident that you did it correctly? Did you carefully inspect the pressure plate fingers and the pressure plate springs? Where all the fingers the same height? Are you sure the plastic parts in the voight dual mass system are not worn out from running without grease making rattling even if the proper grease is now in there? Let's say you are 100% sure the clutch pack is solid. What else could it be? Could it be a gear noise? What are likely possibilities? The way these boxes are designed and a popular failure is the clutch shaft ring nut coming loose causing the gear and shaft to move = noise. Long term damage can result in shaft or gear mating damage or even pinion gear damage to it's shaft. You can pull the clutch shaft out and inspect it and it's companion gear. You can open the gearbox inspection plate and look at the pinion drive. You can also open the small cover over the a$$ end of the pinion drive shaft and inspect that bearing and move the shaft to feel for play. I don't think we can guess on line without more clues or being there to see with our own eyes. If you relish the puzzle tough it out and go for it. If frustration level is high let a pro look at it to at least get some ideas.

18. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks FBB for the encouragement and insight. Surprisingly I'm really not that discouraged, I learned a lot about clutches I never new, and I feel 100% I got it all back together ok, and the noise is identical. It's funny it all started to happen after my track day, and after the last session when I spun it, yet I just ended up in the grass, nothing major. I feel pretty sure I have two issues, 1 being the rough idle and 'flutter' when in a high gear low speed, smooth as silk though when at higher RPM's. The other being the noise. Funny too that the noise keeps in step with the bouncing of my rear view at idle - picture sitting in the car at idle watching the mirror bounce up and down and for every bounce there's the click from the flywheel. O yeh, when I had the steth on the rear half of the pumpkin it was the loudest for sure, more muffled toward the t/o bearing. Sounds like a gear noise to me. My goal now is to try to smooth out the idle and see how that affects the noise.

19. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Have you checked the bearing for the pinion/drop gear? It's located behind the little cover plate, just under the throwout bearing, at the base of the bell housing. The other thing that it could be is stripped splines on the transfer shaft, or on the propeller shaft. Whatever the case something is amiss and I would not run it anymore until you find the problem.

20. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Ernie, I haven't checked those items yet .. Although the noise as heard in the stethoscope is for sure the most defined (and much louder) when I place the tip of it say on the outer half of the pumpkin where the flywheel is. When I stuck it up by the t/o bearing it was like my ears were underwater and the noise was above the surface, ie much more distant. I will put the scope back on it this w/e while I wait for the Kingsbourne spark plug wires I just ordered. Thanks for the help!

21. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    After listening more I'm now convinced the flutter I'm feeling has nothing to do with a cylinder mis but a wobbly clutch. As it's on the lift in second gear at idle, I can see the teeth of the starter ring wobble some and the noise I hear too. Then as a helper just raises the rpm a small amount, the wobble goes away along with the sound. I also removed the t/o bearing and bracket and inspection plate underneath and made a video of what sounds very much like the noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-P-TnuwoB0&feature=youtu.be

So my question is of a chicken and an egg, is the gear noise 'normal' and only because I have a wobbly clutch that it's aggravated? Maybe just need a new PP and clutch disk to smooth it out? Or .. HELP!

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The flywheel (where the ring gear is) is supported by a couple bearings. It should spin true.

23. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I found this quote about a similar problem with some other make of vehicle to be good news:

"Ok, I watched the videos. You just rocking the input shaft back and forth, not turning it completely? That is a normal noise, your just rocking the gears back and forth they have to have some movement, under a load they won't make any noise."

If someone has an exposed clutch shaft and could rock it back and forth for me and see if it makes some noise it would help. I'm thinking now it could be my gearbox mounts since the engine mounts are new. The 'wobble' is describe could be just a slight bounce in the pumpkin at idle.

24. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #24 JeffBarber, Mar 27, 2014
    In the attachment in the lower right it describes a 'solution 1', which would be I think through gearbox number 2715 which I have a number 1950. Does anyone know the history of why the 'first solution' was ditched? Could be I have something related hmm. I drained and strained the gear oil, no metal, removed the bottom cover, nothing strange. Seems like I have some play between maybe the clutch shaft and the drive gear, just guessing. Or something to do with the ring nut which is in solution 1 but not in the later, don't know.

25. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I slid a little web cam (boroscope like) up to look at the drive gear that connects to the clutch shaft and can see that there is no play between the shaft and the gear, ie the gear moves with the slightest movement of the shaft itself, so that is good. The clicking I hear is simply the drive gear's backlash as it meshes with the gearbox main gear. So, it seems normal - now I will try to figure out why im getting a non-uniform load on the shaft to begin with .. back to installing my new plug wires, may check compression too, thanks for listening.