308 fuel pump power | FerrariChat

308 fuel pump power

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 79 308GTB, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 79 308GTB

79 308GTB Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    I've been working on a '79 308GTB US spec which has now lost power to the fuel pump, the is ok & has power coming out of the fuse but no power at the wire at the fuel pump. Is there a relay for the fuel pump or any other switches that control the power to the fuel pump?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    On a US version, there is a (flaky ;)) switch built into the Driver's seat bottom (that is meant to close only when a Driver's weight is present - a safety feature to automatically turn off the fuel pump if the car goes upside-down) -- most people use a jumper to bypass the switch and create a continously "closed" condition (and this must be done if you are working on the system and no Driver is present).

Download the '78-'79 US 150/78 OM from www.ferraridatabase.com -- the schematic is in Section 5.

3. 79 308GTB

79 308GTB Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    That makes sense, I was having trouble with tuning it after reinstalling the engine after removing it to repair oil leaks & replace the timing belts, I would be sitting in the car to start it, get out start checking after a couple of minutes it would start running rough & stall. I would reach to start it, no start, hop in to reach the accelerator pedal it would start. It would also explain why if I start it & leave it to warm up it would stall after a few minutes

4. 79 308GTB

79 308GTB Rookie

Mar 20, 2014
    Thank you Steve Magnusson, that's it!!

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Interesting point!

I've seen gizmo's offered by fuel pump manufacturers to shut off f/p in case of accident. Any mention of people installing these? It seems the common practice is defeat anything that might inhibit operation.

My other F-car has an oil pressure switch which shuts off the pump if no oil pressure. Kind of a PITA when starting after sitting 'cause you must crank for a while to get fuel in the carbs.

I was thinking of setting up a relay on the oil pressure light to do the same thing (as my seat sensor wires are tied together). or get a "gizmo".

6. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #6 alhbln, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These are called "inertia switch" or "impact switch". Inertia switches are wired in-between the plus wire of the fuel pump supply and deactivate the fuel pump on an impact or rollover. A deactivated switch can be reset by pushing down the button on the top.
    A good place for the installation in a 308 is in the left luggage compartment/inner wheel house next to the fuel pump. This switch type requires a straight non-tilted horizontal mounting position.

With a cost of around €10-€20 for a new/unused switch, it's a cheap life insurance should you ever happen to have a crash, and it's quick and easy to install.

Below are two of the most common types which are easy to source via car part dealers or ebay. A PBT-GF20 (20G impact, black top) and PBT-GF15 (15G impact, red top) as installed in many european cars, and an US made switch by First (on the right), which is often installed in Ford, Land Rover and Jaguar cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

this switch has been discussed a couple of times on here
    but as far as I know, there has never been postet a single picture of that thingy

anybody has one handy - maybe from an interior resto ... ?
    or could take and post one - in case the driver seat is de-installed ;)

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd swear that someone had previously posted a picture of the jumpered wiring harness connector laying on the floor pan under the seat asking "what's this for" (and that I saved the pic -- but I guess that I didn't because I can't seem to find it!)