360 Crankshaft bolt too tight | FerrariChat

360 Crankshaft bolt too tight

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WorldFerrari, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WorldFerrari

WorldFerrari Rookie

Mar 28, 2014
    I've got a 360 here right now that has the crank bolt so tight that I'm pushing through the brakes. I've never had one this tight.
    I've heated it with a torch and it's still turning over the engine, through the brakes. I'm watching the wheels turn as I push the breaker bar.
    I'm a big guy and I've got a big guy in the car on the brakes.
    I know there is a flywheel lock tool, but I've never had to use one.
    If it's this tight is that going to help?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Having the right tools makes all the difference.

Also pretty hard to justify extra normal procedures to a client when the correct tooling and procedures are not used.

I always use the flywheel locking tool and have never needed a second person to perform the operation.

All that said who knows if that tool will get you where you need to be but the correct way needs to be tried first.

3. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Is it something you can use an air impact wrench on?

4. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I was thinking the same thing. I suppose it could hammer rod bearings to use an impact in that application.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Better tell the factory that. Not to mention every mechanic for the last 75 or so years with compressed air at his disposal.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not in the car.

Besides, a good breaker bar gives you more torque.

Like I said before, right tools for the job.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  8. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Too bad about the impact wrench, worked great on my 348. Here's an even crazier idea: When I changed the timing belt on my MR2 years ago, the method recommended by someone was to put a breaker bar on the crankshaft nut, with the other end of the breaker bar against something solid, then hit the starter for a millisecond. Worked like a charm. Now whether the engine in a Ferrari turns the correct direction, or if I would be willing to risk doing that procedure on a $$$ Ferrari is a whole different question.

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Which gear do you have it in? Try 6th instead of 1st - has made all the difference in the past for me.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Take the under shield off the car. Undo the screen under the transmission and lock the ring gear in place. Losen the crank bolt with a 36mm socket. I have never had one not come out. Work from under the car, much eaiser.

The method your using holding the brakes could result in the belt sheering teeth off of it, and as a result you could bend a valve if the teeth on the belt suddenly let go

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Please explain to us how that can happen?

The wheels aren't connected to the timing belts.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Seeing as the 360 uses cam drive pullys, rather then just running the belts off the crank, you might be OK, doing it as described. But it give me the willies to think what could happen if that belt slipped.

When you step on the brake, you are not locking the crank. You are trying to turn the engine against the force of the brakes. Turning the engine results in a lot of stress on the belts when trying to overcome the brakes. The entire cam drive system wants to turn with the crank. When you lock the crank, you are completely locking the engine from moving. All the force you put on that bolt will be used to loosen it, not trying to turn the wheels.

The poster even said the back wheels were still turning even though his helper had his foot on the brake. That a lot of force placed on the rotating assembly of the engine, including the belts.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Sorry Tom but you lack an understanding of basic physics.

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    But the cam drive system is just a slave to the crank at that point. There is no more stress on the belts, compared to turnining over the engine by hand, and there is no more risk to the belts compared compared to a locked crank, unless you consider the engine rotating a risk to the belts... Though, that would be bad news for running your Ferrari ;)

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well..for me its better to be more safe then sorry I guess..I tend to over think things sometimes.

Carry on....

16. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Suddenly, just for a moment, it seemed like I was reading The Onion. ;)

17. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Howie, the turning action on the crank pulley nut sends it's force straight on down the crank to the clutch, gearbox, tranny, driveshafts, brakes. Any movement affecting the timing belts is just the normal movement that would occur when the engine is running. No special force going through the belts at all.

OP, I would have thought that using the highest gear (as already suggested) should do the trick unless there's something wrong with the brakes. You can also pre-tension your breaker bar into a good position for leverage by pushing the car forward or back (assuming wheels on the ground).

Locking plate is probably best though. Perhaps you could make something up like this .......

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/142883214-post61.html

18. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    #18 Dan Kyle, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    A couple of questions

What size is the bolt (MM) Head size?

Are you using a 1/2 in or 3/4 inch socket and breaker bar?

If you are using a 1/2 socket go buy a 3/4 socket and breaker 3/4 bar or ratchet.

The 1/2 inch just flexes too much

A note on impacts.

The new 1/2 inch electrics are unbelievable.

The largest Snap On one is the most powerful 1/2 inch I have ever used.

Bolt Break Away Torque, ft. lbs. (N•m) 620 (840)

Stock # CT6850P
    Name Impact Wrench, Cordless, 18 Volt, Pinned Anvil, Slide-on Battery, 1/2" Drive (U.S.)
    Price** $605.00
    Brand Snap-on
    Country Of Origin USA
    Anvil Type Pinned
    Battery (qty) CTB4187 (2)
    Battery Capacity 2.5 Ahr
    Battery Charger CTC620
    Battery Type Ni-Cad 2.5AHr
    Battery Voltage 18V
    Blows per Minute, BPM 2,100
    Bolt Break Away Torque, ft. lbs. (N•m) 620 (840)

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It is 36 mm, 1/2" should be fine - worked for me. You cannot get an impact gun on it with engine in car.
    Jes

20. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    If you are still having problems, and you don't want to try the starter trick noted above, a gentler way to possibly achieve the same effect would be to put the wheels on, put it in gear, and roll the car slightly to determine if 5th gear or reverse will turn the engine in the desired direction to then put the breaker bar on the nut, fix the handle to a chassis member with zip ties, disengage the clutch, have someone push the car a bit, pop the clutch and hopefully that will do the trick.

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just lock the crank, like Brian said. You can even wedge a large screwdriver against the flywheel or make a simple tool to do the job. The factory tool from Ricambi is only $271 and will be reused every three years or so. Pays for itself if you count your labor hours.

23. sal123

sal123 Rookie

Dec 1, 2008
    I agree.

lock the Flywheel. i have never had a problem undoing a crankshaft bolt ,
    & i have done it more than 100 times