2005 F430 First Time Buyer | FerrariChat

2005 F430 First Time Buyer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rttj777, Apr 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Looking at a Corsa/Beige 2005 F430 F1. Have Carfax and Autocheck but the service records are spotty. I had a full ppi done. Has 16500 miles on it. Clutch snap shows 63% remaining and steel brakes show 40%. Mechanic said all campaigns were completed and no codes or issues were found other than a front bumper repaint and some scrapes and stone chips underneath. Says the car seems to have been well taken care of, but the lack of exact records gives me pause. It seems to be priced accordingly at $120k. Does have an aftermarket Alpine system with subwoofers installed. Don't know if that's good or bad.

1. How concerned should I be about the exact records? It has a clean carfax and apparently came off of lease.
    2. The Hi fi mods?
    3. If not this one, is it smart to stay away from Mirabeau Blu vs. Rosso Corsa or Rosso Scudiera?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Buy the color you want with the records the next buyer would want unless you plan to keep it for a long long time

You might also get some more clues / advice in the 360/430 section

3. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    greyboxer is right. A lot depends on where you live and when you plan to sell the car. Complete records are always worth something, but here in Italy folks don't usually get too worked up about not having complete records and don't get too excited by higher mileage either as long as the condition and price are in line.

On the other hand, some people in California seem to be absolutely anal about records and mileage. Judging from this forum, some apparently believe that one service done by other than a genuine Ferrari dealer and/or mileage above 1000 miles per year makes the car absolute junk. I happen to disagree, partly because I do much of my own work.

The trade off between price and records history is not an easy call.

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Since all the campaigns are done, it likely had annual services. Some owners which to keep records private, perhaps for good reason. You don't mention options, number of owners or whether the exhaust manifolds have been done which would influence the price.

Dave

5. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Sorry, was offline dealing with the folks. Thanks for your replies. The PPI mechanic verified all campaigns were done. Does that mean the exhaust manifolds, too, or should I ask him that specifically? Also looking at a Mirabeau blu with only 7700 miles. It's beautiful but my wife says she wouldn't know what kind of car it was if she saw it. I guess meaning if it isn't red it isn't a Ferrari!

6. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    #6 rttj777, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Challenge wheels, (which I really like), Red calipers, Beige with red piping and red stitching everywhere including dash. Red tach, (which I don't like). Aftermarket Alpine head unit with cheesy looking but expensive matching leather JL Audio speaker boxes behind the seats.

Front bumper has been repainted and there are some scratches under the aft body but only visible from underneath. Some small stone chips behind the tires.

Number of owners = 4

Mechanic said do a fresh service even though looks good so you have a starting baseline and then keep them going forward. Opinions?

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That sounds right, and buy her a new blue outfit and lingerie, to match it.

tell her that's all she gets, for next weekend.....maybe a swim suit.....head out on the highway and remember why we are alive!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I mean, a 430 Ferrari IS pretty generic, unitl you pin them back into the seat with acceration, and that engine screams RIGHT behind your head.
    She''ll scream too ,at that point

I think she'll 'get it"

Signed,
    blue Ferrari owner