thermostat 88 328 gts location | FerrariChat

thermostat 88 328 gts location

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fastcarslowride, Apr 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastcarslowride

fastcarslowride Karting

May 21, 2012
    Can someone explain where the thermostat is or do they have a good pic ricambi and euro spares show the part but not exactly where it comes out from. Thanks

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #2 2NA, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. fastcarslowride

fastcarslowride Karting

May 21, 2012
    Thanks. that's a much better layout where did it come from # 37

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    That's a page from the 328 parts manual, copied from Ricambi.

5. fastcarslowride

fastcarslowride Karting

May 21, 2012
    My car won't get above 150 f when cruising and doesn't want to get above 165 f driving around towntown if I am at a long light it will get up to 185 f or 195 f It used to run hotter around 195 f to 200 f . I took the thermostat out and it starts to open at 155 and is fully open by 170 is that normal ? and could that be the reason I am getting a miss that comes and goes ? it seems like it runs better when it is cold out side.

6. fastcarslowride

fastcarslowride Karting

May 21, 2012
    Thaks very much i must have gotten a bad page .My car won't get above 150 f when cruising and doesn't want to get above 165 f driving around towntown if I am at a long light it will get up to 185 f or 195 f It used to run hotter around 195 f to 200 f . I took the thermostat out and it starts to open at 155 and is fully open by 170 is that normal ? and could that be the reason I am getting a miss that comes and goes ? it seems like it runs better when it is cold out side.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    First, don't trust dashboard instruments. It's best to get an IR gun and verify the reading. Assuming your test numbers are accurate it looks about 20 degrees low.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    In what ambient temperature? Unless you are near the North pole, this seems way too cool to be real. Check your heads, expansion tank and radiator temp with an IR gun and compare with the reading of the dash instrument.

As long as opens with a good margin below the boiling point, the actual opening threshold has no impact on the running temp once fully open. The thermostat is only there to speed up the warm-up of the engine by circulating the coolant in the engine for a while instead of cooling it right away while it is not hot enough yet to do any damage to the engine.

I don't think so. Anyone?

9. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Most likely cause of a misfire on a 328 is plug extenders or ignition leads.

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    From the symptoms you describe the issue will not be with how the Stat opens, more with how it closes (or rather doesn't). It opens wide in traffic as the temperature comes up but then when you start moving the spring is too old & weak to close it up again & so the car is being over cooled - hence the low temperature on the highway.

On a 328 the temperature should stay pretty much constant unless you are in traffic when it will climb till the fans cut in and then drop back to normal when they will cut off again.

If its not doing that then time to change the stat

As Andy said, the vast majority of misfires start with plug extenders. If you think one is burned through then stick some tape round it temporarily & see if that improves things.

Another option is a broken lead. Start out causing intermittent issues but they only get worse.