Alternator bearing replacement | FerrariChat

Alternator bearing replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex360S, Apr 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Anyone ever have to replace bearings in their alternator on their 360 and if so can't you share the procedure? I'm hearing some noise coming from that area and am assuming it might be the bearings in the alternator. Just curious as to the possibility of this problem.

2. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I see nobody has responded, so I'll say this: I have not done a 360 and for quite some time getting a rebuilt alternator and replacing the entire unit has been an easier fix for almost any alternator problem. However, back in the day and/or when the alternator was a special type which was difficult or expensive to replace, I have changed the bearings. And, cost may be a good reason to change your Ferrari alternator bearings.

Do a Google search and look at a couple of YouTube tutorials. You will almost surely be able to find replacement bearings at any good bearing specialty store, but you will most likely have to get the bearing out first; i.e. they won't know what fits a Ferrari 360.

Changing alternator bearings is like changing any bearing. Use various sockets (or pipes or other short cylindrical items) of EXACTLY the right size. Be sure to support the housing with a larger socket and drive the bearing out by driving ONLY on the outer race with another socket of the correct size. Same for putting the new ones in.

But step one is to be sure it's your alternator causing the noise. A mechanics stethoscope is best, but a two foot piece of metal rod 1/8 or 1/4 inch in diameter will do. CAREFULLY put one end of the rod on the alternator while it's turning and put the other end on your ear. A bad bearing will be obvious. Check the water pump, A/C pump, etc. while you're at it, but DO NOT TRAP THE ROD OR YOUR FINGERS BETWEEN A ROTATING PULLEY AND BELT.

Good luck and report back.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We have never changed a 360 alternator bearing and that includes cars with 6 figure mileage.

Alternator belt tensioner bearings do go bad.

Diagnose it then fix it.

Take the belt off and see if the noise goes away.

4. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks Brian, will do. I have a new tensioner and belt on hand. Pretty sure it's the problem but was curious in the possibility of it being a bearing within the alternator itself. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, nice to see you back.

5. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I replaced both bearings recently on my 94 348. No issue getting the bearings out provided you have access to a press. If not I would take it to an alternator repair shop. While they're in there they should replace the brushes and do a good cleaning.

Brewman

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most 348 came with a Tinker Toy Delco and had nothing but bearing problems.
    Not so 360

7. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg

Useful info, thanks.

8. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ok so noise problem near alternator fixed and it was the tensioner pulley. Straight forward fix+ replaced belt and tensioned to 100Hz as per WSM. Now, after testing I'm hearing a slight howl from the ac clutch assembly, wether it's engaged or not. Could there also be a worn out bearing from within the a/c clutch pack? Is that repairable/fixable? If it's only a bearing I don't see why not but have never done the job myself. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They can be fixed but are very unusual bearings. Prob need to source it at an A/C supplier.