F430 Misfire / Error Codes - can't pass inspection, please help! | FerrariChat

F430 Misfire / Error Codes - can't pass inspection, please help!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F3Pedal, Apr 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F3Pedal

F3Pedal Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    CK
    I recently purchased a 2006 F430 (manual 3 pedal) from out of state and am trying to get to the bottom of an issue I've been having. The check engine light keeps coming on with the following error codes - every time I reset them they come back after a while, and due to this I am having difficulty getting the car inspected in-state.

PO 300, 308, 306, 307, 305, 300 pd, 308 pd, 306 pd, 305 pd, 307 pd

I looked up the codes and understand these are all misfire related.

Some background...
    The problems all started the first time I refueled the car after purchase. The night before the refuel was the first time I drove the car somewhat hard since buying it, so that could be related. When I gassed up I believe that I screwed the fuel cap on wrong (rookie mistake I know) - I think the fuel cap tether may have prevented a good seal - which I since have fixed.

After clearing the error codes a couple times, and them coming back - I decided to take it to the local dealer. They checked it out and told me that the "left bank" is misfiring, and the remedy is to turn off the ignition, and then restart any time the car "starts rough". I am somewhat able to recognize when the car starts rough, but haven't had it long enough to really know exactly how it should sound every single time...

Given everything I've researched & been told by the dealer (not to worry about it)- I'm not overly concerned with this situation (although maybe I should be)? The problem is - I bought the car from out of state and have been trying to get it inspected in-state for over a month now. It won't pass inspection in Texas because I can't log enough miles after resetting the computer for it not to register having recently been cleared, before the check engine light comes back on again.

Side note, going forward there still seems to be a correlation between refueling and/or driving the car hard - and then the check engine light coming back on. I also notice that the check engine light will come on when I start the car up within a few hours of a spirited drive. For the record I'm not ragging on it - just driving it the way it was meant to be driven.

Is this just life as a Ferrari owner, or is this just something I'm going to have to sort out and then it will line out for a while? The car is rewarding enough to deal with it being "high maintenance" so to speak - just would like to know what to expect going forward.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated on how to fix it/where to look as I'm not sure where to go from here on the check engine issues. I can foresee the inspection issue becoming a bigger issue before too long if I don't get to the bottom of this. Thanks in advance!

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I think you need to stop enjoying the car... reset it, drive only the specified drive procedure and take it to smog, THEN ENJOY the car.

This is assuming that the 430 has a drive procedure like the 360 which is hard to do in a Ferrari, idle for several minutes, drive x miles at no more than x RPM (I think 2,500), then x miles at no more then 4,500 RPM, idle for a few minutes, drive at 55MPH for x miles then your monitors are set if all is well with the car and you can pass smog. If you are driving for hours before the CEL comes on, you have plenty of time to get the monitors on and pass smog (assuming nothing serious with the car) since I am not aware of issues to get 430's to pass.

3. F3Pedal

F3Pedal Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    CK
    thanks for the response Mikeyr - I wasn't aware of the recommended driving procedure - very helpful!

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    come on, some one help this guy and post the driving procedure :) I will when I get home if no one has.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Your car is telling you there is problem. I would fix it and not ignore it. Think about it. If the coils don't fire and burn the fuel, where does it go? Into the exhaust, where it burns and screws up the cat. It's a bad coil(s) in the bank, connection, ecu or plugs. Find it, replace it, and be done.

6. F3Pedal

F3Pedal Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    CK
    Thanks for the specifics Curt, I've actually already taken it to the ferrari dealer service department and they couldn't find anything wrong with it to fix, other than the left bank occasionally mis-firing at start, which appeared to be something they can't fix. I will have them look into these items and respond if they come up with anything. They said when it starts rough to turn off the ignition right away so that the error codes don't register from it. I've been mindful of this but haven't owned it long enough to have it down to a science - so some rough starts are still slipping through the cracks. I've realized there is a strong correlation with it starting rough not when it's cold, but actually when it's warm and started again after gassing up, having lunch etc.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Then you are going to have to take it to someone one smarter. It is not a normal situation, it can be diagnosed and fixed. This is not an erase it and do a drive cycle thing.

Curt is right, its broken. Ignore that dealer, they are obviously clueless. Go somewhere else.

8. F3Pedal

F3Pedal Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    CK
    Good call Brian, we've got a great independent shop in town - I'll take it by there. Glad to hear this isn't normal.

9. F3Pedal

F3Pedal Rookie

Feb 11, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    CK
    Alright, I took the 430 to the independent shop in town and they were able to get the problem diagnosed and fixed - so wanted to update this thread with the fix.

Turns out there was a defective purge valve on the left bank that was causing the misfires. The part was replaced, problem solved, no more error codes, and inspection passed.

Side note - Moorespeed in Austin is the shop I took it to, couldn't recommend them more highly.

10. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    hey its been a while but you think you could show me where and what the purge valvve looks like?

mine misfires too if i drive hard after cold start.

11. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Had this happen, new coils should do the trick...