F355 oil pressure questions | FerrariChat

F355 oil pressure questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Enzojr, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    While cruising around this morning I noticed my oil pressure gauge at 140 lb/in.
    I cruised home slowly and it pretty much stayed above 130 unless I put in neutral and coasted then it would drop. I noticed at 25 mph at 2500 rpm in gear it was still at 140......which is pretty much pegged far right.
    Arriving home I checked the oil level, about one half in low.
    Waited 20 min and restarted the car.
    Temp at 125, oil at 120 lb/in
    After 5 min and moving between 90-120 cycling of engine, and clicking of sounds like a pump going on and off it then settles down to between 50-90.
    After 10 min at idle it settles down to 70lb/in at about 210 degrees.
    So common ? Or panic
    Causes.......solution.......any help is appreciated.
    Had an annual service less than 500 miles ago.....
    Thanks
    P.S. The oil pressure has always seemed a bit high to me, stays mostly above 110-120 but did not usually peg far right at the 140 mark.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You'll probably find reassurance in some oil pressure threads in the 355 section - maybe sender issue

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Also posted under 348/355 model specific

4. sal123

sal123 Rookie

Dec 1, 2008
    this may help,

the nuts on the back of the oil gauge come loose & makes them read funny sometimes.

i thinks it worth while checking

5. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Thanks gives me a starting point, I actually found the sending unit nuts they are tight. Found the two dash cluster screws (2) way underneath and will check that today.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Be sure to clean the area around the sending unit screws and ensure no crud is bridging the gap between them as this can cause wonky readings.

Also, the case of the sender must be well grounded for this sender to work. This shouldn't be an issue as long as no one has used teflon tape or other electrical insulating stuff on the threads :)