Buffalo Fcar mechanic and 360 "slow down" light | FerrariChat

Buffalo Fcar mechanic and 360 "slow down" light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GaryC430, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Buddy of mine just bought a 2003 4,000 mile 360 spider. Probably has been sitting for a while given it was for sale and the long winter. He drove it today and said it started "missing" and the "slow down" warning came on. Any thoughts?

Also, he will be looking for a Buffalo mechanic for the new toy if anyone has a suggestion.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If he just bought it maybe he forgot to wait for the OK light

3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    There is a Maserati dealer in Rochester.possible to diagnose? Toronto,Syracuse. I'd like to know too.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Bad coils. Known issue. Replace them and should get better.

5. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    The first question that needs to be answered is did the slow down light come on when the engine was hot or cold?

If it was cold then problem is more likely to be with the thermocouple or cat "ECU". Try swapping one from side to side to see if the problem follows the part.

If the light came on when the engine was hot then it is likely that the thermocouple and ECu are working and the engine is misfiring - this releases unburnt fuel into the exhuast which burns up in the cat, overheating it. A bad coil has got to be the number one suspect. Use a cheap IR heat gun on each exhaust outlet from the head to see which is running cooler than the other three - that will tell you which is the problem cylinder.

6. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thank you for the help. I'll have him get it over to Earl at Northcoast in Cleveland. Still looking for a Buffalo mechanic for his future needs if anyone has a thought.

7. charlesw

charlesw Rookie

Feb 25, 2007
    Slow down sign is really a 'pain'. Its there on ignition and disappeared after restart. today, it blinked and was constantly on after 10 minutes of driving. On restart, it disappeared and did not come on until I drove home, maybe 15 minutes. Got my tech to check the values of the thermacouple, seem fine. Not sure whether the Cat ECU is working or not. Its a green rectangle box- does anybody know whether this is BOSCH product, if so, what is the component number?
    So when does the car considered 'hot', after driving 10 minutes? to reach 900deg. n above? to trigger slow down light?
    This is a 2004 360 which has the Cat.ECU.
    Can we use 430 ignition coils on a 360? Are they the same.
    Appreciate all assistance.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If it comes on right on startup on a dead cold engine, its not a coil issue. No way cat can be 800 degrees or whatever in 2 seconds of running. Its the little electric box that the thermocouple attaches to. Gone bad. Just replace and it should go away. The insulation cracks and lets in moisture that kills its electronics.

9. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just a post script, my friend drove his 360 to his shop yesterday to load on the trailer and transport to Cleveland for a diagnosis. The "slow down" extinguished and the car ran fine. Not sure what that means? When he got the original fault, did he possibly start it, as Jimmie says above, before it completed its diagnostic tests?

10. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I just got a similar problem when i was on my way to work yesterday. The light stayed on solid and then one bank shut down then I pulled over shut the car down for a minute or two. Restarted the car and no problem. Later in the day I drove it about 50 miles and no problem. Today on my way to work slow down light flashed then went immediatly away and engine light came on and stayed on. Im not sure if the car is safe to drive till i get it towed to the dealer which is unfortunately 100 miles away in Las Vegas. Any thoughts???

11. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Go for a night drive, 20 minutes or so of reasonably fast driving. Pull over in a dark area and check to see if one or other Cat is glowing red hot. If it is you probably have an ignition problem, if not you probably have an intermittent problem in one of the four warning components.

12. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Interesting enough my right hand fuel pump failed and left hand pump is over pumping with high pressure and feeding right cylinders. Tomorrow I'm picking up a new fuel pump at the dealer in vegas. Obviously not driving the 360 and risk burning up my cats!! This should fix the problem. I'll keep everybody posted.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Ummm. No. (unless you meant differently in your post above)

The line from the fuel pump goes directly from the fuel pump outlet to the fuel rail.

There is no pipe to feed fuel from one side to the other. Right fuel pump = right. Left fuel pump = left. When the fuel pump dies on that side, the fuel rail should not be getting any fuel.

The other pipes on the tank are for fuel vapors.

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Gary:
    I'm in Buffalo; he could start with these two places; (they have serviced my friends 458)

Village Import Auto Sales and Service

Toll Free: 877-707-5783

Black Forest Motorsport
    716-634-1200 (many friends have been there; lambos to anything german)

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Be careful. Not many Ferrari's in Buffalo and therefore the experience is not very heavy. BF does not have too great of a reputation. Better off going to F of Ontario.

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Forgot to mention Ferrari/Ontario. There's more here than you think.....

17. Wildscud

Wildscud Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    This means that half of your engine is shutting down to protect itself.

Happened to my challenge car.

It's most likely your exhaust sensor. Cantech automotive in Syracuse has all the diagnostic tools and experience fixing Ferraris and other European cars. 315 452-1168

18. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #18 Dr.B, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got finished changing my right hand fuel pump and drove 15 miles or so and no slow down or engine light. Problem solved I'm jazzed!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Got the same error code on my 360 when blasting through rural Nova Scotia on a rally. My wife thought it was hilarious that a Ferrari would tell you to "Slow Down." It was an exhaust sensor, as mentioned above.

20. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Happy for you.

This is an unusual "slow down" cause/remedy.

Perhaps the pressure regulator on the fuel pump had failed, causing over pressurisation of the rail on that side, to the extent that the injectors, even by lean-ing back to full, were not able to prevent over-fuel situation and hence the hot cat and slow down?

Anyway, glad Dr.B is back on the road and smiling.

21. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Kevin, thanks for the info. I'll pass it on...