rubber oil return pipe 328 | FerrariChat

rubber oil return pipe 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mantinger, Apr 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    Question finally asked after many years of engine service on my car:

Why is there a rubber oil return pipe on the outside of the right cilinder bank beneath the coil distributor. The left bank has not this rubber pipe. Why is it designed this way?

Can't figure it out. Maybe there is a logical answer.

Thanks.

2. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Its the crankcase breather pipe I think. Vents into the head then the head(s) vent into the oil/air separator via the crossover pipe on the top.

3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #3 Brian Harper, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, this hose dumps into the sump from the rear head at the exhaust cam bore. Why one head and not the other? Probably the wicked acceleration of the 308 made the oil all slosh to the back of the engine and it needed a way to get back to the sump.

Yeah, I don't know either.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I think we are both right. There is no other vent on the crankcase/sump so this must form a vent but is also an oil drain, ie oil down, vapour up.

The only other "hole" in the sump is the pipe which connects the bottom of the oil/air sep but I believe this extends below the oil level in the sump so is a drain rather than a vent.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Because the tube on top of the engine, running between the two camcovers, connects the three "crankcase vapor" areas all together (i.e., crankcase -to- 1-4 head -to- 5-8 head also connects the crankcase -to- 5-8 head). They just needed a way to connect all three areas into a common volume (it doesn't need a direct connection between every two areas).

6. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    Thanks for the reactions. Appreciate!

Ok, so the horizontal ventpipe running between the camcovers connects the sump and both camspaces.

However, I don't understand why the chamber on which the rubber drainbackhose is connected is dead ended. There is no bore visible. It is a blind space. The only thing visible is the outher end of the exhaust cam on 1-4.
    So it could only be draining the oil squeezed from the outher cam bearing.

I will post a picture tomorrow.

7. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    Took another close look and youre right Steve, no pic needed because there is indeed a hole connecting the right bank camspace to the rubber "oil" return pipe.
    This means its main function is not to return oil, but to vent/connect the cam areas to the sump.

Thanks for solving this little mystery for me!