Silly suggestion to pass emissions... :) | FerrariChat

Silly suggestion to pass emissions... :)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bpu699, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    In Wisconsin we have emmissions on cars 15 years old and newer.

Several years ago I bought a cargo van, and the lady at registration asked me what kind of plates I wanted. A? B? C? D?

Didn't know what that meant, and she advised me it was the weight classification. I didn't know the weight, so said give me a "C Plate..."

I later surrendipitously found out, that certain plates don't need to pass emmissions. Ever. And C Plates are one of them. I was quite happy...

I wonder if there is some equivilant for cars? I know we have historic plates, yada, yada. But is there a work-car designation that doesn't need to be emmissions tested??

Can you get a C Plate for your car? Just put on a tow hitch and say you pull your boat around with it ;).

Bo

2. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Of the 3 or 4 times I've had to pass I've only been successful once. The other times I've had to transfer tags from my truck then re-register it later. On transfers no need to pass emissions in TN. Emissions has been a real buzz kill for me and my 355.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I wish I could share pics and the story about how mine passed. Some stories cannot be shared. =( Maybe in the owner's forum?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bo,

The answer varies so widely from state to state, and even within Texas you cannot travel from your home County to smog the car....

25 years of age is total exemption here, but I am sure you'd need a spread sheet to recap our various positions...

I have heard, ...deep into the woods, ....that sometimes..... trickery occurs....

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If your 55 needs a new engine that no passing smog was a warning that something was not right. Caught early and perhaps an engine rebuild could have been avoided. I guess that's a live and learn. In reality from 348 and beyond these cars are super clean.

6. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    In addition to the federal 25-year exemption, some states offer "special use" or "collector car" status registration for cars less than 25 years old, which, if your car meets the qualifications and restrictions, allow it to be exempt from emissions testing and requirements.

7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    ??? :)

8. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    NYS pass/fail no sniffing. If you don't have a check engine light on or somethng like that it will pass. Even w/o cats if your computer is fooled by cat syms etc. GTS BRuce

9. JeffBarber

JeffBarber Karting

Feb 6, 2011
    Lascassas, TN
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well, TN is like NY, they only plug to the obdii port. I had 9 codes first time I tried, eventually worked through them all over the first year. Needless to say I transferred tags that first year.

10. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    I knew a guy that was seriously into electronics that built an ODB2 replicator that showed no pending codes. He was considering selling it on E-bay but decided it wasnt worth the hassle if it became "popular"

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    He would have made a killing :). You jut can't disclose its real purpose. You could sell it as an OBDII scan tool tester :).

12. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    25 years old is the emmissions exemption in WA-state. When I purchased my 328 it was still 24 years old. However, because I went through a registered dealer/broker (Roy Cats) there's an exemption for the first year. Didn't even need a state patrol inspection for the same reason. I can't imagine the nightmares some of the CA folks go through...

Even for my more modern cars, it's just pay $15 at a WA-state inspection site every two years, plug in the ODB, get the codes, pass, go home and purchase your new registration tabs online. Pretty simple.

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Jeff,

Even in California there is no nightmare if your car runs right.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They are putting more pressure on checking for correct cats and manifolds. Had another guy the other day call because he had Hyperflows and failed the visual inspection.

Solution is simple, $16,000 worth of cats. Just put 14 grand worth on a 575 the other day.

Some people call that a nightmare and if anyone thinks California will get more understanding of old cars they need to lay off the hallucinogenic drugs.

The state is actually in the trial stage right now for easier testing and more rigorous visual inspection because they know damned well most cars that have all the right parts pass and many have illegal equipment. They intend to spank the latter.

15. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    problem with that rigorous visual is that most shops don't see many of these cars. My last smog test the inspector spent quite a bit of time doing the visual. He spent a lot of time looking at my cats (I assume for a CARB sticker) and I explained they were OEM cats and he passed me.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

In many areas the inspectors are smarter and more experienced. They will become more diligent when the weight of the State of California is breathing down their back.

In 1972 we thought predictions of where it was all going was paranoia too. It has already far surpassed or worst case scenarios.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    These aftermarket makers of Cats will simply need to get them CARB certified.

Join SEMA and get all the news and legislation pending on this issue

18. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    Congratulations OP. 7 misspellings in one post. New record for FChat?

19. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    My 87 - 328 passes with flying colors here in Cali. Time before this last one it barely passed, when I looked into it, I had two spark plug wires that were shorted so the car was probably firing on 6 cylinders when it was tested (but still passed). This year, with that fixed, car passed easily.

I'm a bit surprised that any of the newer Ferrari's have issues passing smog test (visual OR sniff) (assuming they have not been messed with).

20. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Sorry, I suppose I should read my posts more carefully. My bad. I make mistakes often, I am sure of it. :)

Grammar and spelling mistakes aren't uncommon on the Internet. Most of the time I assume the spellchecker catches them...

But errors happen. Like the recent post below when you replied to another thread. "Tho" is missing some letters. The third sentence also is incorrect. The last sentence can go either way. When a complete sentence follows a colon, the first letter is often capitalized.

But then, does it really matter? Peace. ;)

Bo

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Dare I say it - a cottage industry developing OEM replacements that give the appearance of OEM but are otherwise modernized? Fraudulent? Maybe but what if an OEM item can be proved serviceable?

22. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    There used to be some gasoline additive that was supposed to help you pass emissions. I was going to try it but ended up getting a better tip from the emissions tester who said make sure your cat is really warm becasue with older cars the cats lose efficiency when they age.

Tough to keep it warm when you are sitting in a line waiting to get in for them to test.