Walnut Shells for Cleaning Intake Ports on DI Engines? | FerrariChat

Walnut Shells for Cleaning Intake Ports on DI Engines?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cribbj, Oct 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Found an interesting thread on one of the beemer forums about blasting intake ports and the backs of intake valves with walnut shells to combat the gunking up of this area that the DI engines are suffering. This is done with the heads still on the engine, but obviously with the valves closed (TDC compression, or cams removed).

REVIEW: Cleaning of intake valves with BMW walnut shell blasting tool

Frankly this scares the bejesus out of me, as I can't imagine using any type of abrasive media in this area. Regardless how well you think you may have vacuumed it out, there's always that slim possibility that you missed a bit. Then imagine what it'll do to your cylinders?

There are also commercial and industrial dry ice blasting services, and I'd think this application would be a natural for them, as there's no debris left over from dry ice blasting whatsoever, as the pellets vaporise on contact.

BMW engines are not unique, and this gunking up of the intake ports and valves has already been documented in other marques as well, and is probably affecting Ferrari's newer engines too. It's an issue that demands a better solution than walnut shell blasting, IMHO.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That's why they use walnut shells, they're not really that hard. The removed carbon chunks would be worse for the engine.

FWIW, if you do periodic cleans with sea foam or other top end cleaner through the pcv system, the walnut shells won't be required. I went through the cleanup with my wife's mini-S, the carbon build up was unbelievable. No detriment to performance that I could feel, however it eventually broke a valve and had to have a top end rebuild. I now run seafoam through it before every oil change to clean it up.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Interesting Pete. Have you looked at the back of the valves to see if the SF was effective? Also how are you using the SF? Are you putting it in the fuel tank as an additive or choking the car to stalling sucking it into the intake vacuum port. Letting it sit then starting the car?

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    #4 windsock, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    The walnut shell blasting has been used since the mid 90's with no issues if done correctly. I used it a Ford for years. On some combustion chamber designs we were also using it in the chamber. We have even used it to clean combustion chambers in extreme cases with the intake removed.
    The walnut chips will not harm the finish on the metal but does a great job on very hard carbon deposits.

Many manufacturers are now looking at going back to installing the equivalent of a cold start injector in the intake they can run periodically when the car is under WOT conditions to clean the intake and intake valves of PCV deposits. It should be interesting to see where this goes as these cars age.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have not looked at them yet, but will at the next oil change with my scope (it's due soon). I put it in the PCV pipe from the valve cover that leads right to the intake with the car running and hot and pour at a rate to get the car almost to the point of stalling. I pour about half a bottle in slowly, keeping the car on the verge of stalling. In any case, it made it 120k miles before the valve issue, so the car will be over 200k miles before it's likely an issue again, and hopefully the sea foam treaments keep it from being the issue that finally kills it.

Putting it in the gas tank wouldn't do anything as being DI, the fuel never touches the intake valves which is why they gunk up in the first place. You have to pour it directly into the intake and the only real way to do it is through the pcv pipe.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

We discontinued the practice of using walnut shells for gas turbine cleaning years ago because they were too abrasive. Blast my Ferrari intakes with them and take a chance of them making their way into the cylinders? Thanks, but no thanks.

The dry ice blasting sounds intriguing, however, and I did speak with a dry ice blaster here in TX last year who said his big customers are plants that need boiler and heat exchanger tubes cleaned, gas turbines, food handling equipment, etc. He hasn't started blasting Ferrari intakes yet, however......

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

John, I agree I don't care too much for the walnut shells. Yes its been used a lot but in the old days they used Bon Ami a lot to seat rings and people swore by that and that was dumb too.

Dry ice is a good idea if it is aggressive enough to do the job. In reality though the only cars we have had problems with so far had bad valve guides and maybe it is a better plan to just fix that problem. DI is new here so we shall see on those.

Are you in the gas turbine business? My father was to in a round about sort of way.

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Brian I'm not exactly "in" that business; I'm more of a user of them. I work on the Ops side for a Houston based oil & gas company, and we have a fair sized "fleet" of both Solar and GE gas turbines in generator and gas compression service.

The company I formerly worked for partnered with Rolls Royce and we built a number of large gas compressor packages for the North Sea, using the RR RB211 gas turbines.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Dad designed stand by power for PT&T and AT&T. He also oversaw purchase and installation. Turbines were, during his tenure all the rage and I remember Solar being one of the companies he worked with. Most are being replaced by Diesels now.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. On my 09' S it stumbles and smokes when you pour the seafoam in but it seems to run a tad better once its done.. BMW has this silly vacuum and walnit shell tool that they use and charge like $1000 for the cleaning. I really like the dry ice idea.

11. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's funny how people make statements about the quality of the gasoline and implying it has something to do with the deposits.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It must be true

I saw it in a TV commercial.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Mercedes is testing a DI system that looks like something for surgery, their AMG's are carbon loading like no tomorrow.
    Herd mention of CO2 also.

Minimally invasive surgery on engines, whats next?

14. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I recall reading a Toyota tech bulletin about their D-4S DI injection system when it first came out on the UR family of V8's in '05 or '06. They used 2 sets of injectors, where one set was DI, and the other was standard port style, purportedly to incorporate the best of both technologies.

At the time it seemed they were on the fence and perhaps thinking DI wasn't going to be all it was cracked up to be, and in retrospect, they may have been spot on.

Didn't Ferrari also release one of its newer engines with both types of injectors? Maybe the 458?

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have done it many times on the BMWs and Audi's. It makes one hell of a mess. Clean up takes longer the doing the job.

It works very well. I had to do it on a Ferrari Cali. It needed injectors on the right bank, once I had the intake off the ports were pretty carbond up, so I blasted them. The owner couldn't believe the difference it made. Said it felt like a brand new car afterwords.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Turbines went micro! For primary power :D

What are MicroTurbines? | Brightergy

My interest as well, and there are several threads on it. For example:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/florida-sponsored-ferrari-tampa-bay/341566-dry-ice-blasting.html

17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I should go dig my walnut shell/dry ice blasting thread from several tears ago.

Boy did I get blasted. Funny to see this again with some of the same players. LOL.

18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's not DI that's causing the problem, per se. It's the pcv recirculating that oily crud.
    A water or methanol injection system is supposed to reduce the buildup as well.

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  20. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Glad my new V12 is port injected.............

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #22 fatbillybob, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I played with this a bit. I got a 20k mile 550M garage queen that has taken only short drives which is about the worst thing for a car. There is a bit more carbon on the intake valves that you want to see for that mileage. So I took the carbon off. It is really easy and this is my first pass cleaning the intake valves. They should be like new when finished. Some interesting facts, and a process: This is during my major. So my motor is #1 at TDC. Belts off cams out then all the valves are closed so this is an easy job. I experimented by putting just a teaspoon of carb cleaner in the bowl. I can back in an hour and it was still there. Those valves seal good! So I filled up the bowl until the valve face with carbon was submerged and let sit for an hour. Cleaning one port and it came out pretty good but still too much work. So I filled the other bowl and let stand overnight! In the morning the carb cleaner was still covering the valve. Nothing leaked into the cylinder! Now the carbon scrapes off like a sticky mess of goo that goes into solution. Then sop it up with a 2x2 gauze. Let dry then stick your shop vac in and your compressor blow gun and blow the carbon bits out while sucking them with the vac. Scrape off more carbon rinse and repeat and this is what you get. I think that walnut shell blast would be fine. The valves seal so well and you can blow out all the debris or reach it to loosen it with a tool then blow it out. So no probs getting stuff in the motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Here is a link to another enthusiast site where a variation on the Sea Foam method is discussed: "Chinese Water Torture."

Chinese Water Torture (a SeaFoam recipe) - Turbobricks Forums

24. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #24 maxvonauto, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 2010 458 with 55K miles. FNA told me they have no procedure for cleaning the valves so I'll use the BMW process myself with some modifications. Also having my injectors cleaned and flow tested while the intake is off. Should run even better than it already does! Pictures of the "after" results to follow.

25. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Those are some dirty valves, Mark. What brand of fuel do you use?

Looking forward to the "after" pics.