Bellhousing pattern | FerrariChat

Bellhousing pattern

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Patjo, Jan 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patjo

Patjo Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik Johansson
    Hi,

I need to fabricate an adapter plate for a F105L to 01E marriage. Is anyone willing to share the V8 bolt pattern? I know this flavor of 105 is a little special but I am willing to gamble most of the important bolts are in the same place between versions.

I have tried, twice, to take the dimensions myself but only end up with fishy numbers.

Anyone? Please?

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Pat,
    I'm not familiar with the models you are trying to adapt. But I have done it to American V8s.
    Maybe you can use some of these ideas. Machine an aluminum adapter plate to fit the V8. Maybe 13mm to 20 mm thick. Sometimes you have to countersink internal wrenching (allen) bolts. make the adapter a nice fit on the locating dowel pins. Then bolt the the new bellhousing to the adapter plate with with slightly oversize bolt holes. Use an dial indicator on the crankshaft flange and rotate crank and bump with mallet on bellhousing to you get the bellhousing hole running within .005" or .0002mm. You can then bore a pair of locating dowel holes in the adapter plate. Or you can already have dowel pins sticking out of adapter plate. And use a small plate on the existing dowel and tack weld it to the bellhousing. Or machine eccentric dowel pins. I hope this helps.

Dave

3. Patjo

Patjo Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik Johansson
    Thank you Dave, I think I am getting the gist of it. I might end up doing something like that.

But, I already have the gearbox pattern and there is a chance I could have the plate laser cut at next to no cost so I'd be really happy if there are tried and tested numbers available.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I have the F106 (308) pattern as I'm right now working on a project for someone mating the 360-6speed. However you'd think that F131 (360 engine) and F106 would be close or share something, right? not a chance. Matter of fact it's off enough to make a traditional plate adapter not possible. real PITA project.

I could be wrong but I believe the F105 and F106 would be same for bolt patterns. I'll trade you patterns if you have the Audi 01E one. My patterns are in CAD btw.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #5 smg2, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Patjo

Patjo Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Patrik Johansson
    #6 Patjo, Jan 25, 2015
  7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    same bolt pattern as the 308, heck same casting parts.

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #8 smg2, Jan 25, 2015
    Yep, it can be a real PITA sometimes, helps when you have bare blocks and spares laying about to mockup with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. superflyte

superflyte Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Melbourne, VIC
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'm going through the same process to mate my F131 360 engine to my transaxle in my open wheeler. Hey SMG, did you get accurate measurements off the 360 bell housing for the trans? I'd love to double check my measurements against someone else's before having the adapter plate machined.

By the way, how did you go with the starter location? I bet you're tearing your hair out - that 360 clutch / flywheel / ring gear combo is a bit out there!

10. Home Built by Jeff

Jun 9, 2019
    Bowral, Australia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Micklem
    #10 Home Built by Jeff, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Hey guys. I know this is an old thread, but did any of you have any luck with the F131 bellhousing layout? I have gone through and measured mine and as you mentioned @superflyte it would be great to double check before I go ahead. My project is a little bit different as I am adapting a 360 engine to a Subaru BRZ box to into my Alfa 105. Any help on this would be great to cross reference.