PSA: Don't use Rain-X Windshield Washing Fluid (the orange stuff) | FerrariChat

PSA: Don't use Rain-X Windshield Washing Fluid (the orange stuff)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peterp, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    PSA: Do not use Rain-X Windshield Washer Fluid (the orange stuff). It leaves a coating in the washer system that destroys electronic fluid sensors very, very quickly.

The sensor on our Q5 was replaced under warranty, but it will break again with a single use of that orange junk. Not sure about Ferrari's, but this affects a lot of cars from a lot of different manufacturers.

Don't believe me? Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rain-X Windshield Washer Fluid, De-Icer (pack of 2)

2. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Fascinating. I don't have that particular concern, but glad to know of it as I'm a big fan of this stuff and can temper future recommendations and usage (if I ever find myself with a low fluid light).

3. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    *****. I have this in my Audi now.

4. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #4 muk_yan_jong, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    I've used the All Season in all of my cars (most makes but for high exotics) for over 10 years now and I have never had a concern or issue with it. Got my dad and his (post 2010) Merc and Toyotas on it. Zero issues there either.

I like it because it contains a small amount of watershed and with a burst or two, I can run without wipers for a period of time.

Never any windshield fogging/buildup and no electrical issues with the ones with a sensor (Merc, Speed6, Avalon)

Don't has Audi, but still...

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've used it for years in all my cars WO incident. I clean the frameless glass shower with it too. Works great. Has something changed?

The sensors you're speaking about are just the empty indicator?

6. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    The bathroom glass clean/treatment is a really good idea.

But does your shower have an electronic empty indicator? :)

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Here is a thread on an Audi forum discussing it: Windshield wiper fluid low warning constantly on - AudiWorld Forums

It's probably worthwhile to drain the Rain-X and flush it for a while with a hose and then use the cheap blue stuff.

Yes, it's the "empty" sensor. If the car uses a float switch, then it's probably immune. Apparently many new cars are using electronic sensors now (I assume these are like the sensors in basement water alarms). I don't know which cars use electronic sensors, but the Amazon link in the first post indicates the problem happening on Audi, VW, Dodge, Jeep, and Mini Cooper -- that's not a complete list of course because there are only 21 reviews, but it shows that it affects a pretty large range of cars and models.

8. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I've been using it in my E31 and my Jeep for years. Never a problem. But I do use it with distilled water. Maybe the problems are due to a reaction between the washer fluid and the water. Tap water around here has a high mineral content, so I use distilled water to make coffee, cook, drink, and use it in my radiators and windshield washers. I bought a lab distiller 30 years ago (still going strong) from Durastill. Makes a gallon in about 3 hours. You wouldn't believe the stuff that comes out of the sump drain of that thing.

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I'm out of it ... ;)

I treat the walls (marble) and glass with regular Rainex, squeegee it after every shower (takes under a minute) and then clean with their windshield washer fluid periodically.

No soap scum.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Good info, I appreciate the notification; might have been better to have stated this originally, rather than the "sky is falling" statement in your first post. ;) I am not aware of any Ferrari using this sort of sensor...but then again, I am a "bottom feeder" forever relegated to purchasing used Ferraris...and I don't believe my Scud has any sensor related to windshield washer fluid level, float or electronic.

I have used the orange stuff for several years in my BMW which I guess has the float type sensor, as I have never had an issue....

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I've used it for years in all my cars, no problem.

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Couldn't be a wiring issue like I had in my 2024 ram, it's the fluid huh? Haha

74dino246gts likes this.
  13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You missed my other thread where I claimed the sky actually was falling - I guess I have to edit that too :)

Point taken, but my original post does specify "electronic" sensors and it does say that I didn't know if Ferrari's were affected.

My guess is that electronic sensors are pretty new technology, so older cars are probably a lot less likely to have the problem and newer ones are probably a lot more likely to have it. I originally thought it was an Audi design problem until I checked Amazon reviews and saw that many sensors from many car brands are affected. It may only break electronic sensors, but it definitely leaves a film over everything in the washer system so I plan to avoid using it on any car regardless of sensor type.

f355spider likes this.
  14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The wiring problem with your "2024" Ram is that the wires probably won't be built for another 9 years ... :)

The Amazon review below claims there is actually a Dodge TSB about Rain-X in the 2014 Ram:

AMAZON REVIEW: By TSR6 on January 27, 2015
    ... My brand new 2014 Ram 1500's washer fluid sensor was killed thanks to the RainX Washer fluid. The local Dodge/Chrysler/Ram dealership printed a copy of the TSB stating they suggest the discontinued use of RainX products and have to replace the washer fluid sensor in a vehicle that no longer reads the washer fluid level after using RainX. It's not just Ram - Google "RainX Washer Fluid Sensor" and you'll see all the results.

To make matters even worse, I contacted RainX directly about my problems - and they only brush you off to the company that makes this product for them. That company in question does not respond to e-mails at the address RainX supplied me. Several attempts, and no reply from this other company, nor any GOOD customer service from RainX, they just brush you off.

Buyer beware! I used this product for years in my F-150 that did not have a washer fluid sensor, but it caused problems in my new truck. :-(

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Since I have been using this product for at least three or four years, it would seem the "film" if there is one, is harmless to anything but the electronic low fluid sensors...but to each their own. I like the properties of allowing the water to bead and run off my windshield. But warning is taken, and buyer beware to know what type of sensor is in your car before using.

16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I didn't notice/realize that it worked that much better than the blue stuff.

It looks like there is a class action suit, so all the problems will be solved:

1. Lawyers will make millions
    2. Harmed individuals with broken sensors will receive approximately $0.12 each
    3. Unharmed individuals that love the product will lose access to it

Everyone wins! :)

Class Action: Rain-X Washer Fluid Sensor Light Lawsuit Investigation

The link above suggests that this is the list of car brands affected:

- Dodge
    - Jeep
    - Volkswagen
    - Audi
    - BMW

Maybe a mod can edit the original post to specify this brand list

f355spider likes this.
  17. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    I don't know about sensors, but my older [e46] bmw washer fluid tank has sprung a leak, not sure why yet, but I have been using the rain x in it for last year or so............

18. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    FWIW

General Motors (GM) Optic Kleen (a concentrate that you mix with distilled (ideally) water).

As a hobbyist, this product has never left any residue or gum in my windshield wiper systems. In the past, I had residue issues with some of those pre-mixed windshield washer system fluids.

19. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Our X5 had the same problem where the sensor was on frequently, but like yours it was actually leaking . I wouldn't expect Rain-X to cause leaks, so since both of ours leaked, it might be a weakness in the BMW washer tank design. The dealer repaired ours, but I don't recall what was replaced.

If you think about what Rain-X is designed to do -- keep water off the windshield -- it makes perfect sense that it would also keep water off of the sensor contacts making it read empty. It's pretty impressive, water repulsion-wise, that it can keep the fluid off the contacts even when the sensor contacts are submerged in the fluid.

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Pretty common issue with BMWs of the era. I've been fortunate to avoid it thus far. Usually it is the seal to the pump or fluid level sensor...or the pump or sensor itself that is leaking.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You pretty much have it condensed in a nutshell. :)

22. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully
    Someone,blocked Your Amazon reviews ,when clicking on it it says the page cannot be found.I have been using the orange fluid for about a year,now,in a Pontiac Grand Am and never knew there was a wiper fluid sensor low level indicator,till 2 days ago.I have some new Bosch Icon blades and the combo does a great job in the rain.However,I topped off the tank and the low warning light remains on.I never saw it before , in my years of ownership,and believe that as you say"the sensor " was certainly affected by the Rain-X,Orange.This version protects down to - 25 degrees

23. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Old thread, maybe the formula has changed. I had a new 2017 F series truck, used 6 or 8 gallons of it per year and had no issues.

24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jack, did you join here just to discuss RainX windshield fluid in your Pontiac?

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  25. jack Dully

jack Dully Rookie

Feb 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    John P. Dully
    Yes,I'm trying to get to the bottom of this mystery.This formula seems to affect many brands of cars not just mine and if it is truly the case then I think every driver should be aware of it before they dump it into their windshield tank and try to get it off the market,if possible.That's all !