512 bbi glove box does not open | FerrariChat

512 bbi glove box does not open

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by meandmyredcorvette, Nov 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Pressed glovebox switch and glovebox does not open. Is there a manual way to open glovebox? Fuses in box so it makes it difficult to check fuses.

2. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Try bypassing the switch itself. When mine acted-up, I unplugged the switch, and bridged the contacts in the connector. "Correct" switches weren't available, so it mine has a suitable one for a 355 or similar; at least it's hidden on the underside of the dash.

Also, if you're getting the solenoid click but it still won't open, the pin is bound, so you may need to change the pressure against the glove box door itself.

If that won't work, it may be more serious.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have to say, it is the dumdest thing on a Boxer. Why they went with the electronic latch is baffling.

Mine was clicking but it was not opening. I would have to push in the door to allow the pin to retract and then I could open it. If there was no power I'm not sure how I would get it opened easily.

Let us know what the issue/solution was. Good luck.

4. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just retried and did not hear a solenoid click. Will try bridging contacts to see if it is the switch

5. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Might want to try, if you have not already, putting pressure on the glove box as you push the switch. I have to do that with mine sometime to release enough tension on the latch relay so it will disengauge.

Good Luck.

Drew

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    +1
    Yup, I give it a gentle bump while holding the switch. It's one of those endearing features :)

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

plus 2...hold the switch while reaching over simultaneously pushing the glove box door as if to shut it...then release the pressure from your hand. it will open.

8. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Am I missing something here? I simply push the power button on but no lights come on. Is there a way I can check or bypass something to check it out?

9. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Hurray!!!!!

Got it open!!!

Had to put pressure on door as I pressed switch and presto

Thanks for all your help!