Non-ethanol gas? | FerrariChat

Non-ethanol gas?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by randomlambo, Dec 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    For a carburetor 1970s car, the ethanol free gas is the best...however in Northeastern US is almost nowhere to be found and when it is found, the ask is ridiculous. One station about 25 or 30 miles from where I am wants $22/gallon of 94-octane ethanol free gas.

So what is the solution for this? Stabil for Ethanol in the ethanol-based gas? What other options?

Thanks

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

3. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
  4. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Drive up to the Hampton airstrip (nh). Call before you go, they do run out. I've gotten it for yrs up there. Bring a bunch of cans, it's an airstrip, you're not supposed to drive a car up to the pump but they have let me before (nh again ha ha).

There's nothing in ma like it-it's illegal. I guess they really don't want the 5 or so carb'd 308's here to wildly increase in number to say 7 and pollute the place!

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well that sucks.

Move on down here, apparently we don't give a rat's ass about pollutin'. We don't have ANY emissions inspections in FL.

Hell, we don't have ANY inspections for cars, at all!!! :eek:

D

6. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Nice-I grew up there and some of the cars I had shouldn't have been on any road! But all jokes aside, I miss that. Inspections here for cars built before '92 are a yearly headache. You have to go into the hood to find a shop that 'gets it' and will put the new sticker on it. Each year I feel like I'm buying flipping meth...it's absurd.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Here Costco premium is Ethanol free. I don't know if that is true at all Costco pumps, but curious to know.

8. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you get the Sunoco brand stuff prepare to bend over. In PA there are some places and I have gotten it a few times for my 2005 Jag. Better performance and about 3 mpg more on the highway. My Espada had to be rejetted for the alcohol gas and so the alcohol free stuff runs too rich.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    worst case scenario, 'wash out' the ethanol... then add in race fuel to bump octane if need be.

I've toyed with the idea of building a staged fuel tank that does exactly that, holds a bit of water to pull the ethanol and the fuel floats, so the pump and pick up are above that level, periodic draining of water/ethanol makes it a PITA but ethanol is the worst crap to run thru an engine. It's a bit more complex then the above but when you can't purchase ethanol free fuel one has to improvise.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Move to Alaska. No ethanol up here anywhere.

11. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    The EPA is up to their usual tricks..keep reading for updates but the non-eth news ain't good.
    More later,at least until this administration is kaput.
    Cheers,RE

12. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    #12 JCR, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #13 DGS, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    And it's about to get worse: EPA just passed mandates for even *more* ethanol in gas -- at rates higher than their proposed levels in March that drew criticism.
    EPA Completes Rule Requiring More Ethanol Blended Into 2017 Gasoline Supply - WSJ

Which will drive up *all* pump prices, as the mandate levels will require ethanol "blend" pumps.

Hmm. Are the mandates set for selling gas at stations?
    If you put in your own *private* tank and pump (need lots of liners in MA) could you order non-ethanol gas in bulk from a delivery truck?

Of course, there's the un-do the do-do approach:
    How to make your own ethanol-free gasoline ? GL1800 DIY Articles ? goldwingdocs.com
    Add water to ethanol gas, and it'll bond to the ethanol and drop it to the bottom of the container, where you can drain it off.

14. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Yes but putting 80 miles on a 79 Countach just to get gas does not seem that feasible.

May consider a 20 gal? or 2 x 10 gal canister set to fill in my daily car and pour that into the Lambo when back at the garage?

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Technically, the i-word probably applies in this case (although I'm not familiar with MA tax regulations). I would doubt that any road tax is baked into the Avgas price.

17. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
  18. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I'm not sure what happened in ma but a number of yrs ago they cracked down hard on anybody selling car fuels without ethanol added. I have no doubt it was a side effect of some green legislation where at least the intention was 'green'. Other folks on here I'm sure know more about whatever happened.

19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

well, I doubt he's gonna have much luck on Craigslist getting it "gone today" either. Organizing getting it shipped to you would not be all that big a deal.

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Find a marina, many have ethanol free gas.

21. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Last year a Stewarts shop and gas stqation very near exit 16 on I-87 (Adirondack Northway) began selling 91 octane ethanol-free at not more than $0.60 above regular. I regularly used to go there for fuel. Now the Sunoco stations in and near Saratoga Springs are doing the same. 91 octane seems to be easily digestible by my Cadillac STS-V, Maserati Spyder and 575M.

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    That should worry you a lot, Dave.

23. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I hear about problems with ethanol but I've yet to experience any of them.
    Between my 1974 FIAT, my 1967 ALFA and my 1967 GTC, I've done nearly 200,000 miles with ethanol and never had a problem.
    These cars are, of course, carburetted and the FIAT and ALFA carbs have NEVER been rebuilt.

Exactly what is or should be the issue with ethanol?

Bob Z.

24. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    I'm hearing that it gums up carburetors if the car sits for a long time. On Youtube there are some videos of the carburetor 'damage' it does to marine carbs which have a similar use pattern to a vintage car (sits for a long time?).

Not sure about it, but as the car I have is finishing getting rebuilt and carbs can cost $$$ to get rebuilt properly I'd rather maximize the lifetime between rebuilds.

25. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It also is a problem for CIS fuel based systems. CIS is based on the mass of air and fuel, the fuel in this case being actual gasoline, the addition of ethanol has changed the mass of the fuel and hence the CIS hydrolic system is no longer properly metered. Also add in the AFR ratios are different for ethanol and you've got a lot of little things that add up to an engine not running as it should.

And that's aside from it's corrosive nature.