How to clean fuel tank of 308gtb | FerrariChat

How to clean fuel tank of 308gtb

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by George Soans, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    Hi
    I am tuning a 1978 308gtb but no matter how much i clean the carbs there seems to be some kind of gum like deposit on the needle seat and jet pump venturies as a result the needles get stu ck yesterday i drained the fuel tanks,after a few hours after all the fuel has drained out i noticed a thick tar like substance dripping out,is there a way i could clean the fuel tank i have already tried wuerth fuel tank cleaner but has not helped at all

2. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Have you changed hoses and filter as well? Cleaning carbs and tanks won't do any good if your lines are gummed up. Carb cleaner should do the trick otherwise.

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    imho:

I had a non-F car that had that problem. really tough to clean. The best thing I found to break down the tar was gasoline. but what to do with the contaminated gas?? I put in some fresh gas and ran it a short while. It ran terrible, but ran. On a Ferrari, I'd try to let some fresh gas sit in there and see if it starts dissolving it. Then drain and take to a hazardous waste site for disposal. Repeat until clean. Replace all fuel lines and filter.

To do carb tuning, you got to get that squeaky clean to start, or you'll drive yourself nuts trying to tune.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Full strength acetone is the best thing that I have found to remove old gasoline that has turned to gummy varnish. You can buy it in gallons at the hardware store. I usually remove the tank and put a few gallons in, plug all of the openings and then let it sit in various positions to let the acetone dissolve the deposits. I then slosh it around, pour it out and inspect inside the tank. You may have to repeat this several times to get all of the varnish out.

5. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    I have removed the fuel tanks from both sides and filled it with paint thinner avaliable at the hardware store and let it sit for a couple of days lets hope that it solves the problem

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I doubt that paint thinner will do the job. As Motob said, either Acetone or Lacquer thinner would be better.

7. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    #7 George Soans, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Drained the tanks looks more like red wine.i have used nitrocellulose thinner which is used in automotive body shops used to clean paint spray gun as I could not find acetone

8. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    Located a dealer for acetone will use it today

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is it not possable to hit it with a steam cleaner ? Then just leave it out in the sunshine to dry out.

10. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    After rinsing and cleaning a few times fixed it back onto the car it ran well for a few days but again it shows the same symptoms as earlier,at this point I think the only option is to replace the fuel tank I have checked online for a new replacement fuel tank but I haven't found one I am planning to fabricate a fuel tank of 308 grade stainless steel as in have access to a DC tig welding unit I will send you pictures after completion.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #11 308 milano, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    IIRC, there was just one baffle in each of the tanks (85 QV). You can use a small mirror and see into the tank. Don't forget the crossover pipe that connects both tanks, and I would replace all fuel lines before I ever considered having a new tank fabricated. That's an awful lot of expense. After owning a body shop I can tell you there isn't much that lacquer thinner won't take off. I would dump a gallon of it in each tank and agitate it every time I walked by them and let it soak for two or three days. I believe acetone just isn't hot enough. After which I would concentrate on pieces after the tank. :)

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those aluminum tanks were actually carefully designed and made of a very malleable grade to survive crushing in an accident. They can crush like a beer can and not lose a drop. Constructing new tanks from a different material is a bad idea and subjects you and any passenger to the possibility of a catastrophic fire.

Just do a good job cleaning the ones you have.

13. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    This is the third time I have cleaned the tank and I think you can't do a 100℅job unless you separate the two halves which I think would be difficult more over if i have to open the carb top a few more times to clean the tar I might rip off the threads.The aluminium tank also is not that strong as I had to weld a hairline crack on the weld seam and the balancer tube and once I had a full tank spill on the floor as one of the rubber connectors of the balancer tube had perished.

14. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #14 Streetsurfer, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    I wonder if there might be a benefit in using a section of chain mail like is used for cast iron cookware cleaning, as something to scrub the inside of the tank while sloshing the cleaner/fuel around in it?

I recently picked up a fiber optic camera to inspect a mortorcycle gas tank, after having to clean a mess out of it. I would suggest use of one to thoroughly examine the tanks before a more expensive decision of replacing them is arrived at.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have seen small round stones put in a motorbike tank with a cleaner and just adjutated around

16. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    There are partitions inside the fuel tank which are hard to reach

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Send them out to a pro and get it done right. Stop messing around.

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Duh. There you go again. Then he'd have to quit wasting time and spend a few dollars.

Been doing this 40 years and I have yet to clean a gas tank. There are people set up to do that and it's not very expensive. Complete and total waste of my time.

19. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin

20. George Soans

George Soans Rookie

Feb 24, 2017
    Imdia
    Full Name:
    George soand
    #20 George Soans, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi
    In India 3m carb cleaners are only available in a 330 g pack.I have restored quite a few classic and vintage cars in the past but have never come across such a situation. In India we do not have "professionals" to do this kind of work as in India car restoration is not a huge business.Parts for Ferraris are not available off the shelf as in us and europe. This car was sitting in a garage for almost 20 years with a blown head gasket. I had to order the head gasket from superformance uk and it costed me almost thrice the cost of the part as freight and custom duty is very high as such I had to make a few parts myself like the exhaust headers,muffler,coolant reservoir tank. The previous owner had issues with the engine overheating as average temperature in india is around 30°c so I had to fix a high air flow radiator cooling fans. I would not have gone to the extent of replacing the fuel tank unless it was absolutely necessary.
    It has been a week now and the car runs absolutely perfect with the newly fabricated fuel tank. Thanks for all your advice. Cheers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login