Ferrari battery charger 2012 vs. CTEK charger | FerrariChat

Ferrari battery charger 2012 vs. CTEK charger

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by qmail, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qmail

qmail Rookie

Aug 12, 2015
    #1 qmail, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi.

Actually I use the standard (2012) battery charger from Ferrari. These chargers seems to be very simple. There are only three status lights on it (!, half, full).

The actual CTEK charger have programs for the loading cycles - you see many status indicators.

I bought a connection for the CTEK charger to the Ferrari plug-in. I'm not sure whether I should use it because the original Ferrari systems is approved by Ferrari. On the other side I think the CTEK charger is "better" for the battery with the different charging protocols.

What do you think? Replacing the older Ferrari charger and using CTEK or leave everything as it is?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ferrari battery tenders/chargers are rebranded CTEK models. Later Ferrari battery tenders had the additional charging phases and lights like in your second pic. A later Model Ferrari or CTEK charger will be fine.
    CTEK tenders are WAY cheaper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. qmail

qmail Rookie

Aug 12, 2015
    I own a CTEK charger like in the 2nd picture. Should I use it or do I have to buy the same model from Ferrari for much more money?

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The tenders that come with the cars are not as robust as the better CTek Models. I recommend you switch to the 7002 model.

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Bwahahahaha! Better yet, buy a Cavallino sticker off of eBay and use it to double the value of your CTEK charger. ;)

6. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    I have a 2 ctek chargers (3 actually) 1 US3300 that looks like the Ferrari branded 1 pictured and the other 2 are MUS 4.3 which look like the ctek branded one in the OP but with even more lights.

The 3300 is the one I've had the longest and has never had a problem and does its job. I bought it bc it was the best deal at the time.

I bought the 4.3's as i acquired more cars that I wanted to keep. One of them went bad after about a year and ctek replaced no charge. I bought these particular models,because they were the best deal at the time.

If your Ferrari branded one is working, I wouldn't buy a new one just to have more lights.

If your non Ferrari branded one is working, it's up to you if you want to buy another with Ferrari branding. I wouldn't.

Actually, maybe you guys should just trade.

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    If you read what the extra functions are in the newer model Ctek's you'll see why they are much better . Depending on how short/long you park your car and whether you use a standard flood or an AGM type the newer model conditions and charges and goes to float mode . Check them out on their web site.

8. KTMBROWN

KTMBROWN Rookie

Jun 11, 2017
    No cal
    Can a CTEK 7002 be used with the OEM battery charge connector under glove box? If yes, where do I find the CTEK TO FERRARI adapter?? Thank you!

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #9 f355spider, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017