Yellow Zinc vs CAD | FerrariChat

Yellow Zinc vs CAD

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bpu699, Mar 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    So, as a warning to others as they replate car parts...

A couple years ago I meticulously went through my car and replaced a lot of the worn cad pieces, and replated with yellow zing the old cad pieces...

2-3 years later, barely driven, wet a handful of times, the yellow zinc looks ancient...

I see lots of folks on here replating what was cad, in yellow zinc. Its isn't the same.

Sigh. Just thought I would share that...

Did the same on the 911, went through ONE drive after it snowed and some slight sal left on the road. Silly me. Nuts and washers look ancient again...

Doesn't take much...

2. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Both are 'sacrificial' coatings with cadmium being the more preferred as the product as the effects of the corrosion are more prevalent with the zinc and the byproducts not desirable. Cadmium withstands slightly higher temperatures also 400+ deg vs 250 deg for zinc. They'll both eventually look crappy again just a matter of time.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Would also consider the quality of the zinc being done. Every gold fastener on the car is zinc and if the many years old fasteners aren't far worse the replated zinc you have a problem with your plater. I have had a lot of parts plated in yellow zinc and have never had a complaint like this.

I am no plating guru but I understand there are 3 or 4 different types of zinc plating. It may be yours was less element tolerant than others. But it seems cad is better for salt exposure than any of them.

Good platers are going the way of the Dodo bird fast. It is an industry dyeing before our eyes. Good quality work is rapidly diminishing.

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I would just like to bring up one potential point in this case.

It could have been your zinc was not applied heavy enough or thick enough.

But yes in general cadium is "better/stronger" it can also be very toxic as well due to lead and mercury content

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agree...

Although the Hod Rod and Harley guys seem to find them.
    For chrome any way...

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They're still out there but fewer and fewer. It is an environmentalists worst nightmare. Lots of it going south of the border.

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    The zinc is still there... It's just not shiny, and is getting a foggy white coating...

I bought a bunch of fasteners and nylocs, applied throughout. No longer shiny...

Sigh...

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Prep work of the hardware is the key to a good long lasting finish.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

And to saving a bunch of money, if you do it yourself ;-)

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Dosent one of these proceses make the metal brittle.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes. I have spent hours in front of a wire wheel cleaning nuts and bolts..it sucks. But it needs to be done. I have since invested in a tumbler which I turn on at night before leaving the shop. In the morning the hardware is nice and clean..rust free and ready to go to the platers.

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah, I spent a day cleaning nuts and such on a wire wheel. Tumbler makes perfect sense if you are doing it regularly.

13. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes hydrogen embrittlement. Both plating processes can cause it so the parts must be baked immediately after plating to diffuse the hydrogen out.

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    What's a good medium for tumbling parts prior to replating?

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Was told If the part is not baked immediately after. you can still get hydrogen embritlement.

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    So hard to find good platters, silver paint?

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #17 Dave rocks, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As you know, way too much work and the results are far from ideal as wire wheels don't get into the tinny areas, etc.

Hydrogen embrittlement is a concern with hardened parts - not soft, such as mild still brackets. This is why it's very important to use a plater that is not some garage dude :) Also, the higher strength (hardness) fasteners require mechanical plating - not electroplating

I glass bead blast first - it removes all prior coatings and corrosion. I then finish off tumbling in plastic media. Here are some before and after followed by yellow zinc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I used to work in a factory where we used to make ejector seats for the military, some of the parts were Cadmium plated and if i remember correctly this has a grey finish- as it was toxic they then carried a Passivation process by dipping it in some other solution to seal the Cadmium in.
    Net result, the finish was a golden colour.
    One of the men in the plating dept caught his hand on 1 of the spikes they hang the parts on, just a small puncture in his hand but Cadmium posioning and months of treatment trying to get it out of his blood.
    Its the final Passivation that gives the final colour

19. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila

That's "white rust" - and I guess the plating qualities/thickness will get you the number that reflects how long it can resist salt spray before rusting. ie. 90 hour salt spray vs. 300 or whatever.. One of those home "Caswell" plating kits will probably get you the look, but not the protection.

Interesting information on this site: Corrosion Resistance of Zinc Plating - Sharretts Plating Blog

Interestingly, few (if any) parts that can be exposed to the environment are yellow cad/zinc plated anymore. There are better plating options available, they just don't original.

20. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm thinking of buying the Eastwood cad look painting kit. I've seen some pieces done with it and they look pretty good. Might even last longer and can be easily stripped and redone if that's your thing.

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'd say that's a bad idea. Paint has thickness - zinc plating does not (or so minor you probably can't measure it)

22. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Save the effort... I have done the home plating, and its work intensive with tons of dangerous chemicals to play with...

Best solution I found, and it works great:

Mix cleargloss powdercoat 3:1 with gold eastwood powdercoat. Polish the part. Shoot on a thick translucent coat...

Looks awesome, 90% of the look of cad... Safe, lasts a really long time...

Posted pics on a Porsche site, will try to find them...

Here you go...Concours? Nope. Really cool for everything else? Yep...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/508961-woo-hoo-replicated-cad-plating-powder-coat.html

23. david bentley

david bentley Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Saint Louis Mo US
    Full Name:
    David bentley
    I had an Eastwood kit......parts looked good for only a short time...thru it away!

24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I was warned that glass beading would dull the finish but if it made any difference I didn't notice it. I think I used well worn glass but it cleaned well and the parts looked great after plating. Using glass is easy enough but if there's a tumbling medium that works without the need for glass beading my lazy side is interested.

Do you think that tumbling in plastic after glass beading changed the appearance of the final finish?

25. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    What size/type media are you using in your tumbler?