For Timing Experts 355 & 360 question | FerrariChat

For Timing Experts 355 & 360 question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MD355, Mar 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    #1 MD355, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been reading carefully the procedure to check the timing on the 355 and 360 engines (with dial gauges, not the factory marks) and I have some observations to make.

Attached are the procedures as described on the 355 and 360 Workshop Manuals.

Based on the 355 WSM, the intake has 16 degrees advance from TDC and the exhaust 16 delay.

The procedure to check the timing is to reset dial gauge for INTAKE at TDC on combustion cycle and rotate 360 degrees to find opening of 2.41 mm

For EXHAUST your reset dial gauge at 0 degrees TDC of exhaust cycle and rotate further until the valve closes to find 2.29mm

------------------

For the 360 Modena, first of all there appears to be an error. On the table shown with the timing, for the Exhaust Valves it should be End AFTER TDC 9 degrees +-1
    NOT before TDC...

Based on the 360 WSM, the intake has 10 degrees advance from TDC and the exhaust 9 delay. (variator disabled)

The procedure to check the timing is to reset dial gauge for INTAKE at TDC on combustion cycle and rotate 360 degrees to find opening of 1.66 mm (same procedure as F355).

For EXHAUST your reset dial gauge at 9 degrees prior to TDC of exhaust cycle and rotate further until the valve closes to find 0.60mm (This procedure confuses me, why you would reset at 9 degrees prior to TDC ??? Why not reset at 0 degrees TDC and rotate until the valves close to get a reading of 0.60mm (as you would on the F355) Is this another error on the WSM ??)

----

The reason I insist there must be an error is because I did this procedure, and while there is not CEL, the car is not pulling very strong and sounds weird. Could it be that my car has less overlap due to following this procedure ?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is no mistake in the WSM. You did something wrong.

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I'm not a pro, My 2 cents.

Forget the 355, similar but different engine.

I assume it ran fine before you did the work, right?

Which of the 3 intake valves did u use?

I'd pull the aft cam inspection covers get the engine at tdc and see how far off u are from the factory marks. I know they can be off, but I bet Alberto in the factory got it closer than you did.

If the marks are close make sure you buttoned it up correctly, vacuum lines, electrical coils attached properly, etc. may want to do this first.

I followed the wsm to the letter except I used cylinders other than 1 & 8 for ease of access.

Sorry I'm on iPhone and my brain is exploding trying to figure out your question on specifics of timing question. I'll look at it later again on computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Alberto at the factory is a big part of the problem.

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Brian, I know that's what you have said in the past and I accept your expertise.

My point was not the factory marks are correct. Only I would have, and did use the scribed marks as a check for my degreeing. If I was off from those the first time I degreed it did it I would double, and triple check my procedure and not first assume the factory marks were off.

Can we assume the car left the factory with the engine timed to the marks Alberto made on the cams?

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    One of the issues with the factory marks is the crude mark and width. You can be within the mark and still have a variance of a couple degrees from one extreme to the other of the mark.

My understand is those marks are only for initial assembly.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He is talking about the marks made on the back of the cam by the guy who assembled it.
    The one I am doing now is a good example. Out of 4 cams 2 have assemblers marks.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Back to the original question. What the WSM is trying to say is they want to see a deflection of 0.6mm at 9 degrees BTDC. Instead of starting at 0 and rotate to 351 degrees, they start at 351 degrees and rotate to a flat part of the cam.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks - I have 3 of my 4 CAMs here - I'll go have a look

10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Good point Dave, on mine the reference mark on cap was > 1mm thick and the scribed mark on cam was literally a hair thickness.

Still, I took an impression of these marks before, and after I did mine. Much closer or spot on after degreeing as compared to prior. Car ran fine before, and runs fine now.

11. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I think yelcab you got what I mean, well almost !!

The 360 WSM wants to see deflection of 0.6mm at 9 degrees BTDC.

Instead of starting at 0 TDC of exhaust cycle and rotating to a flat part of the cam (past 9 degrees ATDC)

If you want to measure 9 degrees (0.60mm) why would you reset at 9 degrees BTDC + 9 degrees ATDC (=18 degrees total) ???

I put the 355 WSM for comparison since they reset at 0 degrees TDC of exhaust cycle...

If you notice on the table for the 360 there is already an error on the closing of EXHAUST valves..

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    MD

Let's not try to troubleshoot the WSM. Let's see what you did.

How did you time the exhaust cam?

M

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Ok, I am no pro. In an effort to get filleted by the pro’s here I’ll take a stab at your questions.

Your question:

For the 360 Modena, first of all there appears to be an error. On the table shown with the timing, for the Exhaust Valves it should be End AFTER TDC 9 degrees +-1

NOT before TDC…

I believe BEFORE is correct, not AFTER, and the WSM data agree with the WSM procedure. Appears to be similar to the 355 (16 degrees retarded as stated in the 355 WSM as compared to 9 degrees BEFORE TDC from the 360 WSM). As to why the engines were designed this way, that is beyond my expertise, but I’m sure google can be your friend.

Your question:

For EXHAUST you reset dial gauge at 9 degrees prior to TDC of exhaust cycle and rotate further until the valve closes to find 0.60mm (This procedure confuses me, why you would reset at 9 degrees prior to TDC ??? Why not reset at 0 degrees TDC and rotate until the valves close to get a reading of 0.60mm (as you would on the F355) Is this another error on the WSM ??)

comparing the 355 to the 360. The excerpt you have from the 355 WSM is incomplete, and thus vague. I don’t think it is correct as you state it because the exhaust valve closes at 16 degrees retarded (i.e. BEFORE TDC). Are you referencing the intake? The difference seems to be the 355 procedure measures the entire valve lift. I will defer to someone that has the entire WSM available, and has done it.

As far as why at 9 degrees before TDC you make an interesting point. There is still 0.6mm travel in the bucket left from it’s position at 9 degrees BEFORE TDC to full travel (sometime between 9 degrees BEFORE TDC and TDC) I believe this is the cam clearance ramp. From a cam website I found Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts

CLEARANCE RAMPS

The portion of the cam lobe adjacent to the base circle which lifts at a constant slow speed. It's purpose, is to compensate for small deflections and take up the slack in the valve train created by the valve lash. The opening ramp takes up all clearances in the valve train and causes the valve to be on the verge of opening. The closing ramp begins when the valve touches the valve seat and ends when the tappet returns to the base circle. Ramp designs have a tremendous effect on power output and valve train reliability.

I justify the last 0.60mm is the “play” in the hydraulic lifter,( and a minor component from the valve stem to bucket contact 0.025). So the valve may actually be closed at 9 degrees BEFORE TDC, despite the last 0.6mm travel up of the hydraulic lifter.

FBB has some excellent threads on degreeing cams on fchat, with contributions from some pro’s, and other very knowledgeable folks here. Most can wrench circles around me, and have a much better understanding of the engineering theory than I. Here is a link to FBB’s thread, a lot more theory than needed to do the 360 engine (whose procedure is very simple in comparison), but I found it very educational and reviewed it before embarking on my 360 degreeing.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q/148917-degreeing-cams.html

-Ray

14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    excellent idea, lets be pragmatic. again you can always remove the aft cam inspection covers, and check your accuracy as compared to the factory marks. This may give you a ball park idea if you are way off, or if it is a different problem not directly related to the degreeing (see my prior post). Also how was the car running before the belts and degreeing? was this just maintenance, or were you hoping to correct something?

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    And forget the 360 WSM - everything you need is in the 355 WSM

16. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

I think he is working on a 360. :)

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I then retract that statement :)

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I'm not valve timing expert, but I do know how to read. I don't see any problem, other than how people are interpreting the WSM. For the exhaust side they are just giving reference points. It says rotate the crank so that it is 9 degrees before TDC on the crossover phase (i.e. where exhaust is closing and intake will start opening, or, if you like, TDC of the exhaust stroke). Set the dial indicator to 0. Rotate further until the gage is stable (i.e. exhaust is closed and bucket is on the base circle of the cam). The dial indicator should read 0.6 mm.

All that means is that when the cams are correctly timed the measured lift for the exhaust valve at 9 degrees BTDC on the exhaust stroke is 0.6 mm. If more that 0.6mm is shown, then the exhaust cam needs to be advanced somewhat. If less than 0.6 it needs to be retarded.

That is what the WSM says. Whether it's correct or not I don't know.

19. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I read all of your comments and I believe we have to set a basis for understanding :

The F355 the intake valves open 16 degrees BTDC and the exhaust valves close 16 degrees ATDC . Therefore overlap (when both intake and exhaust valves are open) is 32 degrees , correct ?

The 360 Modena intake valves open 10 degrees BTDC and exhaust close 9 degrees ATDC . Therefore overlap is 19 degrees . If we read WSM table and assume there is no error, then exhaust valves close at 9 degrees BTDC and overlap is 1 degree !!!!!!! Could this be true ??

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    https://aldousvoice.com/2016/04/24/ferrari-360-engine-timing/

21. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You can not compare the 360 to the 355. The 360 has variable timing on the exhaust cams. The specs are for setting up the timing with variators disabled. Running timing/overlap changes with rpm.

23. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Ok, but let's establish the overlap of the 360 modena with the variators disabled... Is it 19 degrees or 1 degree ??

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Experts and timing

I was at a toyota engineering demonstration years ago that had all the best factory techs around the US to go over proper procedures. These guys/girls were top notch.

What we found was no one got the same results until the toyota procedure was followed correctly. Simply following the workshop manual was not enough.

I would find the best factory trained tech and take their work as fact

25. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo

Which 2, do they happen to be exhaust cams, and was this a variator campaign engine?