Head stud removal | FerrariChat

Head stud removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dave v, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave v

dave v Rookie

Aug 20, 2013
    Customer has damaged 3 head studs while trying to remove cylinder head that has bent valves. Has anyone tried to remove them from a 308 GTS Quattrovalvole?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes.

Unscrew them. If it has much corrosion it may become a nightmare.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Good luck. :eek:

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If the studs are not stuck those work fine. If the studs are seriously stuck those tools that grab at the top are typically difficult to use and just wind up the stud like a barber pole and breaks it if it does not just bend over. A stud puller that will grab at the base of the stud gives you a far better chance. In an older motor machining them out is too often the only way.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have always removed my engine studs with a collet puller. I have twice helped friends do the same but if the collet puller does not work, if properly used it will not destroy the threads. Then your friend has the option of just (improperly) reusing the stud, which is especially OK if it not a torque to yield fastener or you have to deck the block, or going for it by other means which might be destructive and costly if you have to machine one out. If you decide to go all the way consider welding several nuts on the stud which will get the stud really hot and aid in corrosion breakup. You soak the base of the stud and weld on some nuts and the heat helps draw the PB blaster or break free into the joint. Several nuts so you can support the stud well and get a deep socket on there. I also try to righty tighty a bit and lefty loosey to help break up corrosion. The nut weld is also good if you strip the threads or bung them up with a roller puller. Good luck!

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
  8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Life was not fun when I broke one of those studs off......

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Finding a sink or hole pop EDM large enough to hold a block (bare too boot) is not all that easy, Mike. Plus - the sludge and crap they can leave behind is less than wonderful. A Bridgeport mill is a much cheaper, readily available and cost effective route.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Exactly. In a few very problem and very valuable blocks the EDM guys wanted nothing to do with it. Besides the stud screws in about 4 or 5 inches below the block deck. Several of us use a machine shop that has written a program for their mill and they just tell it which holes to drill. But that is in extreme cases. A block as new as a 308 will probably not go that far.