Tire damage Question | FerrariChat

Tire damage Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by moysiuan, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #1 moysiuan, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is this sidewall divit from curbing on my daily driver just cosmetic, or will a replacement tire be required? Thanks for any perspective, never damaged a tire like this before.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Me, personally: I would drive on it (never over 75 MPH) until it starts loosing air. Then replace it.

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had a similar damage on my F/L tire except it's more of a slash and is closer to the bead. I replaced it because I was afraid of a blowout due to aggressive cornering. Each to his own, but safety is always number one in my mind.

4. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Looks pretty cosmetic to me. Since it's a Mud + Snow tire anyway, I doubt if you're doing too much high speed "performance" driving on it. I would keep driving and monitor it for awhile both visually and air pressure-wise.

QUOTE=moysiuan;145443920]Is this sidewall divit from curbing on my daily driver just cosmetic, or will a replacement tire be required? Thanks for any perspective, never damaged a tire like this before.[/QUOTE]

5. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    First off why was my daughter driving your car?

If car is used for shorter less highway I would keep it and put that tire on the rear if possible, In case of blowout. If anyone but you drives it or if you do a lot of highway miles I'd replace it. That's me. Any tire can blow out, and although this doesn't look deep, my guess is it would still increase the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks all, will probably replace as the car does get highway driven alot by others than just myself. Not worth worrying about.

7. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Good decision as this is now a weak spot on the tire. With continuous flexing and temperature change it will eventually fail. Maybe after 1000 or 5000 miles but you don't want it to happen at highway speeds. A cheap investment.

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thats probably cosmetic. HOWEVER, i recently (last Sunday) got a flat on the front driver's tire of my F430. unreleated to this, the tire guy stated that i had a bugle on the sidewall that put the tire out of balance that caused burn around the side wall. this weakened the structure of the tire making it more susceptible to blowing out. i doubt that your nick would do the same but may want to change it before it does.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

+1

It's not worth it. You don't want significant other, parent, child,, etc. stranded on the side of the road. The expenditure to peace of mind ratio is small. Since it's not a performance car, I'm assuming, you can replace one tire rather than a pair.
    T