Clutch Wear | FerrariChat

Clutch Wear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Reacherman1022, Jul 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Reacherman1022

Reacherman1022 Karting

Dec 13, 2016
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Jack Reacher
    I have a 2008 F430 F1 with 10,500 miles. Does leaving transmission in auto or utilizing paddle shifters wear clutch more or less?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What wears out a clutch is putting power through it while it is in the friction zone. That is control over clutch wear is in your throttle foot.

It seems to be a shame to have a 10 year old car with 10K miles on it.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jack- If you drive her the same way with the paddles that the system does in Auto, there is no difference in wear.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Though the additional downshifts in auto while decelerating will add significant additional wear to the throwout bearing over time. Learned me that from Taz a few years back :D Best to shift to neutral and coast into stop lights. Feels better anyway.

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Not exactly on topic but backing up (especially uphill) puts a lot of wear on the clutch (at least on the 360, I assume 430 as well)

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F430 has more favorable gearing for reverse than the 360, where reverse is almost as high as 2nd gear. 360s have the same problem, high reverse gearing, whether manual or F1 since they use the same transaxle.

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    so what was the conclusion?

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Depends on how you drive it. If you use it in manual mode like it works in Auto mode, downshifting to 1st at every stop or letting it downshift itself, there is no difference in wear, like I said. Shifting into neutral when coming to a full stop will extend the life of some clutch components. Personally, mine never auto downshifts when coming to a stop. I select neutral before she comes to a complete stop. When in neutral (or any gear) and stopped, the clutch is always open in an F1 Ferrari, so you are not saving clutch wear on the constant contact T/O bearing. You do cut down on the clutch actuation cycles by using neutral, however, which saves the T/O bearing somewhat, and slightly (very slightly) lessens clutch wear. Most clutch wear occurs on initial start, Auto or manual. which is why keeping PIS optimized for F1 gives max utility out of the clutch.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ok thanks!

10. Reacherman1022

Reacherman1022 Karting

Dec 13, 2016
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Jack Reacher
    Thank everyone. I bought the car used with only 700 miles a couple years ago. I drive it plenty!