360 F1 reverse t-handle question | FerrariChat

360 F1 reverse t-handle question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wheelman76, Jul 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I noticed that when I go to put my car into reverse that every so often I have to lift and pull it back 2-3 times in order to engage reverse. I was talking to a guy at our local cars and coffee this weekend who has a 355 F1 and he noted that there was something on the t-handle that might break and replacing it could be in order?

Anyone have some insight on this? If it's how it's described I would think it might be something simple?

2. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'm assuming the F1 box shown on the 355 is the same on the 360?

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Usually when the pins on the original T-handle shear off, you don't have to lift up on the handle in order to get it into reverse. Does the handle feel loose or have excessive play?
    If not, then the mechanical portion of the reverse switch is probably fine.

Your reverse switch may have worn/dirty switch contacts, and needs replacement. You better be sitting down when you find you how much a new replacement switch assembly costs.

You can have someone with a diagnostic computer look at the input from the reverse switch to the ECU to get a better idea of the cause of the issue, or just check the resistance of the switch with and ohmmeter.

4. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    I'll monkey with a bit next time I'm in the car. I have really only driven mine so I can't say what is normal play vs excessive.

It doesn't happen all the time, it's just when I most want to not be embarrassed as I sit there trying to get it into reverse... :)

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just replaced mine last week. The actual mechanical switch itself is quite sturdy. It's the T handle that's broken. My old handle rocks back and forth, left and right by about 5mm. The new handle is quite a bit less.

6. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Played with mine a bit tonight. When not pulling up to see if there's any play, it's tight. However trying to leave my garage I had to lift and pull it back a good number of times before reverse engaged. Then when I got ot my parents house it went into reverse first time.

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  8. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    hmm I have the same problem on my Quattroporte at times

9. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    #10 Mel Spillman, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The fork that the T-handle ( see picture) is attached to has four small brass colored guides attached to the outside of eash forks (2 on each side) They can come loose which may cause your problem
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Well this evening I went for a drive and it went into reverse first pull.... I'm wondering if there's a way of cleaning the switches that were mentioned above? As in dirty contacts? I don't know if what I'm saying is possible or even makes sense... At this point I'm going to just keep a running tally of how often I notice this going forward and see how things go.

11. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    After driving my car some I think I was simply not engaging reverse correctly. I found that if I lift and pull the lever back and hold it there until R engages that it works fine. I was not holding in the pulled back position long enough. I know... I need to read the manual yet... time has not been forthcoming since getting the car though. I'll get to it! This thread was good though to know what to look for if there is an issue.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    It is a relay and does need enough time to latch.