Fluid list - change per time or miles? | FerrariChat

Fluid list - change per time or miles?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DanNE, Jul 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    I have a 360 car that is going in for service with an independent mechanic...

What fluids do you guys recommend to change based on miles and which based on time?

I'm thinking brake fluid = time (2 yrs since last one)...

Others?

Oil
    Coolant
    Gearbox oil
    Steering fluid (top-off?)
    F1 actuator (top-off?)

Thank you all.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Look in your maintenance schedule for intervals, but they are missing for coolant and F1 fluid. For Ferraris, fluid changes almost always happen at time intervals rather than mileage. For a 360:
    Oil and filter Annually
    Brake fluid Annually
    Transmission Fluid (on 360s and F430s experts recommend annually because of proximity to the engine, especially on the 360 to check for fouling caused by transmission intercooler leaks)
    Coolant- Every 2 years (see above and nitrites to protect our liners wear out in two years, some experts like annually)
    F1 Fluid and Bleed- Every 3 years
    Power Steering Fluid- Every 2 years

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Good advice!
    You will find threads here on how to do all these changes. You'll find that it's therapeutic!

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    brake fluid: 6 months
    Oil:::::::::: 12 months
    Coolant:::: 12 months--but mainly because radiators are $500 each
    Gearbox oil: 12 months
    Steering fluid: 12 months
    F1 actuator :: I lubricate my right arm nightly at local bar.

5. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    What if you had 10 cars and you drove 9 of them 1000 miles each a year, it'd be a constant maintenance schedule on par with other chores?

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Why brake fluid every 6 months? Is that if you track the car or for street driven?

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I agree with Terry. The 360 has a heat exchanger that's meant to regulate the transmission fluid temp, but if it fails, coolant ends up in the transmission. If you change the fluid annually, you can usually catch any problems with the heat exchanger early enough to avoid expensive damage and cleanup.

There is a long thread in the 360 section on what transmission oil to use. The debate is GL-5 vs GL-4, with the former possibly risking damage to synchros and the latter possibly risking the gears. A poster has used Mobil 1 LS 75w90 (GL-5, which Btw is the spec Ferrari recommends) over 35k miles of hard driving without problems so far, a good indication, but a small sample size. Another has used Redline 75w90 NS (another GL-5) with similar lack of problems. I recently went with Redline MT-90 (GL-4), but am not sure it was a good choice. I'm guessing if you change it often (once a year) it probably doesn't make that much difference. No way to tell until a lot of miles accumulate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It is. The most I've had is 6 at a time and it became "work". With less than 1k miles per year on any of them, I'm contemplating bi-annual changes on everything.

9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I have 15 cars and have developed my own view on what makes sense and what doesn't. All fluids in a car can easily be replaced in an afternoon with a lift, proper tools and a bit of experience.
    I rather replenish my own fluids than my car's though.
    The Ferrari at every 24 months gets more changes than my daily drivers which usually get 20k mile oil changes and 36-48 months on lesser used cars. I have yet to have an engine fail, , start to use (more) oil, explode or wear out anything significant or unexpected even in 700k km so I guess I'm doing something right. Daily driving is 90% of the time on LPG which keeps the oil sooo clean even then it feels like wasting it.

6 months on brake fluid is fine if you live in a rain forest or track your car. 24-48 month is fine for most, depending on use- and storage climate. Get a brake fluid tester.

10. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I personally change all fluids once a year.

11. judrick

judrick Karting

Jun 7, 2007
    Knoxville,TN
    Full Name:
    Rick Haynes
    Once a year on all fluids for me too. It's cheap insurance and I enjoy it.