348 Throttle sticking at pedal end | FerrariChat

348 Throttle sticking at pedal end

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by justyn, Apr 21, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. justyn

justyn Rookie

Apr 20, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I have been trying to fix a problem with the accelerator pedal sticking on my 94 348 Spider.

I tried revving it from the engine end and the throttle snapped back closed when I released it. The cable is sitting nicely in the guide as well.

I turned my attention to the pedal inside the car. I have removed the black thingy that surounds the pedal. There was some fluff and bits at the base of the pedal but nothing that is stopping it springing back when you release it. Sometimes the pedal stays where you press it to and sometimes it slowly pulls back.

Is there a spring behind the carpet somewhere? Not sure where to look next. I found one similar thread that said you can see the cable by removing the centre console but it doesn't look like you can do anything but look at the cable if you do this (from the picture the person posted)

Any help today greatly appreciated as I need to get this fixed today if possible,

Regards,

Justyn.

2. justyn

justyn Rookie

Apr 20, 2005
    Fixed it! Just putting the carpets etc back now. Will post the explanation later in case it could be of use to someone else at some time.

Justyn.

3. justyn

justyn Rookie

Apr 20, 2005
    Well, got it all finished now and running as sweet as before.

Disconnected the cable from the engine end removed the carpets from the drivers footwell. The cable was able to freely move forwards and backwards so obviously the problem was at the pedal end.

Removed the black surround from around the pedal and noticed some dirt and small stones in the "box" under the pedal. So I removed the pedal from the floor (2 bolts) and then the pedal from the bracket that holds it to the floor and cleaned up all the dirt.

The pedal was moving freely so it wasn't that causing the problem.

The culprit was the last remaining possibility. There is a bar that goes from the pedal to a right angle hinged joint before connecting to the cable. It was this joint that wasn't moving freely.

I started to undo the nut to realease this joint so I could examine and grease it etc. As soon as I slackened the nut a tiny bit it started moving freely.

So that was the answer, no idea why it suddenly did this. The car hasn't been used for some months so maybe it just had a little corrosion or something.

Justyn.

Qavion and Reid like this.
  4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job. Now aren't you glad you did the work yourself. Imagine what it would have cost you if you had gone to the dealer. At least $120, just to loosen a nut.

5. justyn

justyn Rookie

Apr 20, 2005
    Probably more like £400 (in the UK) by the time they had found what the problem was. Plus a week wait to get the car booked in.

Not scared to get my hands dirty though.

6. Kopit

Kopit Rookie

Jun 25, 2019
    ernie likes this.