How to Clean Leather Seats? | FerrariChat

How to Clean Leather Seats?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cbreed, Feb 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    How do you clean tan leather Daytona seats? Any help would be useful.

2. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    The first issue to address is, have the seats ever been redyed? Many seats, as they get older, have their owners lay a new coat of water based dye over the leather to bring back the color. The problem is, water based dyes will come off if you use a solvent (pertroleum based) cleaner.

There are many companies making leather cleaners. Leatherique is the boutique brand, Megiuer's the mass merchandised brand.

I have and use Leatherique, it works pretty well.

I have a black leather couch from my bachelor days that I have keep in a side room and our dog uses it as her bed. I have successfully cleaned that couch each week with Clorox Clean-up or Windex for over 15 years, to date none of the black has come off onto the towels. I have no idea how durable Ferrari leather is, but you may already have a suitible cleaner in your home. Try a spot in a hidden area and see the results.

3. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    It does not matter if they've been re-colored. DO NOT USE ANY CHEMICALS on Ferrari Leather, soap and water only. I don't know about newer cars but my seats in my 308 were definitely original and any chemical product on them removes color. I've always heard the term "Fine Italian Leather"...I disagree.

I looked at your profile and expected to see a Daytona. Do you have a Daytona in addition to the 360? I suspect the 360 has better leather than the the pre 1990 cars.

4. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    these are new, never-died 2006 Daytona seats in an F430 spider, I sat in the car with Levi Blue Jeans and now the blue is in the freaking leather! These seats soak up anything. I guess you're not suposed to really sit in these cars.

5. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    Sorry I mistook your F430 for F360.

6. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    By far the finest leather cleaner for your leather seats and dash is the Prestine Clean by Leatherique. http://www.leatherique.com/index.htm It leaves a very nice satin finish once absorbed.

7. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Clorox Clean-Up contains BLEACH! Be super-careful on using it for automotive seats and NEVER NEVER NEVER use it on your carpets (or let a drop of it get on your carpets!) as they will become permanently discolored. Now, if you drive a Yellow Cab, I'd use it everyday.

IMO, Clorox Clean-Up belongs in the bathroom, no where near your Ferrari or any other car you care about.

8. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    That sucks. Fine leather is definately more delicate, and takes extra care. IT sounds like you have blue dye in your seats now. I would not mess around. Find a professional to do the cleaning. Call your dealer. Don't be shy or cheap about it. It will be worth it. JMHO. Good luck. Jim ;)