Hackintosh | FerrariChat

Hackintosh

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 4REphotographer, Apr 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does anyone have a fairly current pc running OSX?

I've been a Mac fan for 15 years, but I'm actually considering getting rid of my Mac mini. I built a gaming pc a few months ago and it blows the mac mini out of the water in basically every way except running OSX and I don't have the money to spend on a Mac Pro.

I did the Hackintosh thing years ago when it first came out and it was trash, I'm wondering if it's gotten any better?

2. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Don't have one but my friend does and it runs just fine. No issues. It's fast and responsive and all peripherals work. It's a homebuilt pc using high-end components.

Go for it.

3. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. When I first used it it was about as unstable as you could get. Glad to see it's progressed. I think I am going to dump the Mac Mini, lately it's just been used for web browsing and word processing and is kind of a waste since it's pretty new and I could still get a good price for it.

4. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
  5. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Yup I made a couple and it works good issues are upgrading to a later OSX it takes a bit of effort and you need to make sure you keep a backup of the running version or it's back to square one... Needed to write some old code to support iPhone3.x and used a hackintosh for that it worked good. Also when you want to check some wacky code that might crash the system it is better to try it there.

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268791

Do a search - there's quite a few threads on this here. My son recently (3 months ago)
    did his i5 Win7 box as a dual boot OSX/Win7 box. The link above was an earlier
    Hackintosh he and I did on an OLD eMachines windows box. Worked great.

Jedi

7. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good stuff, thank you.

I think I may attempt to use W7 since I've had it installed for about 6 months and it hasn't caused me to throw anything out the window..........yet. But I want to be prepared for when it does so I can install OSX.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would strongly discourage relying on a Hackintosh!! Doing this conversion is fraught with
    geeky difficulty to begin with - it's not easy to do for most folks. You don't just pop in
    a "Hackintosh disc" and hit "Install"! There's a LOT of tweaking that must be done, and
    most likely will bomb out a time or two before you get everything working.

Even after you get it running, it's a delicate thing - prone to breaking. You will not be
    able to do most Apple updates of anything - they will be looking for legit Apple hardware,
    and if they detect non-Apple bits, will break the system.

Win7 is going to be VASTLY more stable than the very best of Hackintosh installations
    over time - I have first hand experience with this on several computers. Considering
    Hackintosh as a viable alternative to Win7 IMO is just silly. Go buy a Mac if you want OSX.

Hackintosh, IMO, is merely a geeky intellectual pursuit - a feather in your geek cap, because
    it's hard to do with any hope of stability once it's done. Not to be taken seriously as a daily computer.
    The only "valid" use of Hackintosh, IMO, is to run some Apple-only software app - and the machine
    is built for that one program, never to be updated. My son built his to run Garage Band. It only
    lasted a few weeks before it puked (Win7 dual boot, i5 2300k, Asus MB - very modern system).

I run a Macbook as my main business laptop, and have for over 3 years. But I still vastly
    prefer Win7 to anything that Apple has to offer. Next laptop I'm switching back to Win7

Jedi

9. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Trust me, I know. I did the hackintosh thing back in '06 on a homebuilt pc, I must have formatted that hdd 100 times. I was hoping it would be stable enough now where I could use it full time, but I guess we're not there yet.

I would absolutely love to buy a Mac Pro, but it's simply cost prohibitive for me to do so. It would cost me $4k to get a comparable Mac.

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Gotcha. Yeah, you can build a MASSIVELY powerful PC for less than the cost of a Mac.

I don't think Hackintosh will ever be stable - Mac loathes that people do this, and will
    always make it difficult by making the OS/Drivers be EXTREMELY fussy about what hardware
    they are run on.

Good luck in your quest...

Jedi

11. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hate to give up my Mac, but I feel stupid purposely using underpowered equipment so because it's a Mac. Plus I can sell my Mini and free up a nice chunk of cash.

12. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Simple solution.

Run it as a virtual machine under vmware, and take snapshots religiously before each update. This will make it a bit slower, but you will be able to recover in an instant if it does break.

13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I had a Mac Mini (original, but souped up with max RAM and hard drive size). Piece of garbage. Toss it, or repurpose it as a media server since it has SPDIF and 1080p video output. Interface isn't ideal, though. Yeah, just toss it, unless you have guests who need a web access terminal. It's ok with light office stuff too, but nothing more.

14. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    E-z... Check insanelymac forum. If you tell me your hardware specs I'll let you know the level of difficulty to install OSX and what will work and what not :)

P.S. Also noticed you are not too far away, so if you'll need any help lmk

15. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Let's see 2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz, Asus P8P67 Pro, GTX 560 Ti, 8GB Ram, those are the important bits.

16. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Piece of cake :) I have same motherboard on one of hackintoshes, it has excellent native support in OSX (sound, network, usb, etc). Native drivers for your video card are also recently released by Nvidia.

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Before I bought my iMac, a had a friend offered to build a I7 unit that would faster & more powerful than any current mac for about a grand. I was just too unsure about having something without a warranty. I've known a few that have done this but they are profesional IT folks that are also heavy LINUX users.

18. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I built a 2600k i7 machine like Jedi. With the 32gb of ram and SSD I have, a comparable Mac Pro would cost me nearly $7500.

19. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Exactly, I had a good reason to get it even further. My build for video editing with 24 CPU threads benches higher then fastest and newest Mac pro for 1/5 of the cost :) (around 40,000 geek bench score)

20. XdelaforceX

XdelaforceX Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Eric Force
    Hey Valter, I hope you might have a chance to respond to this if you see it. I have a hackintosh, and I could use some help if you'd be willing? I am not a paying member here, so I can't direct message you or anything, is there some way to get ahold of you?

21. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Add myHack and tonyMac to your set of tools and you can make it i no time, a little effort and patience is required, I have a few VMs inside (Slax, XP,W7) even run W8.1 in Fusion inside a ML 10.8 worked good enough to get some VS stuff I needed to do.