Vista not booting (Startup Repair infinite loop) | FerrariChat

Vista not booting (Startup Repair infinite loop)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Jun 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Something happened to my PC after i turned it off last night. I got a blue screen (memory dump) and then it crashed and now i cant start a win session. When i click Startup Repair, nothing happens other than Windows attempting to repair. When i click start windows, it just keeps rebooting.

I downloaded ultimate boot CD but none of the tool seem to help or i just dont know how to use them.

It seems the Hard Drive is fine because i sometimes manage to access my desktop for a millisecond but it crashes right after..

Any idea on what i can do?
    I have gigs of pictures that i havent had the time to burn yet and i would hate to lose them.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not terribly clear notes above IMO - Questions;

- You clicked "shutdown" and it blue screened as it was shutting down, correct?
    - Now it boots to the "windows didn't shut down correctly" screen and asks if you want to repair it or "start normally", correct? [IIRC, isn't there also a "boot in safe mode" option?]
    - "Sometimes I can access my desktop for a mS" - So, it is booting up and getting to the main screen (no login needed?) prior to, I presume, blue screening again?
    - It boot's from your Ultimate boot CD - You get to the tools menu, but don't know where to go next, right?
    - Do you have the original Windows install CD (and the key code)?

You obviously have access to another online 'puter, which is good. Given answers to the above, we should be able to get 'er back.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Correct. I got the blue screen where it says "dumping cache.."

Yes. I can boot in safe mode (with network, or even debug mode) but none of these work. It only boots all the way to Windows when i select start windows.

I now have access to windows after i unplugged the whole thing, took out the memory bars, unplugged the HD, etc..but it is working very very slow and a few things were not working (Had to uninstall and re install Chrome for example) . So im doing a defra and check error. Any suggestion on what i should do next? I have already saved all my pics and docs so if it crashes again, it wont be that big of a deal.
    Is it worth creating a back up now or is this windows install already 'ruined'?

I tried using the Ultimate Boot CD but nothing seemed to work (I have Western Digital HD and they kept showing me a message saying No hard drive located or similar).
    I dont have my orgininal windows CD.

Thanks!!

Andrew

4. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I would reinstall windows or upgrade to windows7.

5. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Run a check disk in the command window, chkdsk /f to scan and possibly fix problems on the hard drive. It's possible your hard drive could be dying and have bad sectors. I would also test the memory with memtest. If you can get a hold of a Windows disk you can try doing a repair install.

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Reinstall.

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not so easy without the original disk though.......

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Not too hard to get your hands on one.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Alrighty then!..... Awesome - You've saved your **** (It's always my stuff, but "your ****" ;))

Very good.

*Personally*, and I've now helped >6 people doing this; Forget Windows! Go and get yourself the latest "Ubuntu live disk" - It's completely free and will "probe" your H/W to see if all is good - If it is (and I'm confident that it will be), go ahead and install it - You can now let it format the entire drive and build it's own boot loader without fear - Read & follow the instructions and you'll have a machine that's;

- Faster
    - More reliable (no crashes or blue screens!)
    - Has a wealth of s/w already installed (M$ Office clone, PS clone, etc etc)
    - Virtually no chance of viruses / trojan horses etc.
    - Community supported.
    - Rock solid!

It is a little different to Windoze, but if you can use one, you can use the other IMO. [I've had a few folks ask a few Q's about webcams/Skype and the like, but none unanswerable.]

Once you get 'er going, load up your nicely saved pix & docs and off you go.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS: YMMV, my 02c, not kid safe, trained professional on closed course etc. ;)

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    fwiw, back in the day I found it pretty easy to get a vista image directly from ms. I haven't done it within the last year but when I did it was readily available. Its not the image that is the problem, its the key. However vista will run without a key for a period of time, during which time you need to call and get one (either go through the automated system or speak to a live representative).

The key is based on a hardware checksum so it helps if you don't go changing your HDD, memory, bios and/or video card before calling. In any case you get 2 keys per customer with no questions asked so you're probably fine anyway.

Now why somebody would go through all that in order to *preserve* a copy of vista is a different and unanswered question.

11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The majority of blue screens are hardware problems.

Did you check all the cables to see if anything has come loose? Re seat the RAM, check that the fans haven't stopped working and something isn't overheating.

Usually windows dump bluescreen messages to the hdd before rebooting. You can find it under "%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP" notepad type app will read the file. at least with an error number it be easier to work out what went wrong.

I agree with Ian, using a Ubuntu LIVE disk is a great way of troubleshooting windows issues :)

Ultimate disk not reading the HDD doesn't mean much. It's more important that the BIOS can see the HDD.

reinstall should only be the last resort when everything else has failed. It's probably a little late to upgrade to Windows 7 as no8 will be on the market by the end of the year.

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    just curious, why would reinstall be a last resort. bdods can be caused by many things, that a reinstall will fix, and yet you lose nothing. so not sure why a reinstall, or even installing a completely new operating system, would be more desirable?

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I have an issue with my old clunker Dell GX280 running Windows 7.

Last night power went out here. I went to restart my computer, it would power up...............but have a black screen with a flashing little tab in the top left corner. :(

I opened the old girl up, removed the battery (read about it once before somewhere) and checked the ram etc.etc.

All seemed ok, I closed it up and turned it on again. Now it works, but tells me "diskette seek drive failure 0". I can now get into the BIOS screen via F2.

Ok, did some Google research and it seems I have reset the BIOS when I removed the battery. Trouble now is, I can't get the bloody thing to boot.

I also couldn't get a difinitive answer on how to reset the BIOS via Google. People were explaining the process, but it didn't seem to apply to my computer.

If anyone has any ideas or can offer any help it would be much appreciated it.

I did a search and could not find anything at all, so I thought I would post here.

14. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Find out what BIOS you are running. It tells you in the BIOS menu.

Your issue sounds like the boot priority has been set to 1st FDD 2nd CD 3rd HDD. Change 1st to HDD and it should work again or just set FDD to NONE.

15. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    BIOS A03

I have tried it all man. Setting the HD first and the rest etc..etc.

Set the HD only and still don't work.

Removed the HD and plugged it into Nicole's computer as a 2nd HD, works fine.

I have Googled the **** out of it, it seems like I have an older BIOS system, is there anyway to update it?

I just found this video, but of course when I click on the USB device like he does nothing happens. :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPQWy7-kKP0[/ame]

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Ok.....................all working ok now. :confused::confused:

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, good to hear! One of those "I didn't change/touch anything" scenarios!..... I guess it came back when you reinstalled it?

In any event, and without wishing to teach you to suck eggs, you do have it backed up somewhere, right? ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hi mate, it's ****ed again. :(

I didn't do anything to fix it, but hit F1 to "continue" after 200 times of trying it and it finally booted up. I re-started 3x times like this no worries. I thought it was all ok now.

I had to replace the ethernet cable, so I shut down again 10 mins later and now it's doing the same thing. :rolleyes:

19. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :(

Do you have a backup of the thing? [It doesn't sound like an HDD issue, but it would sure be nice if any "valuable" stuff was elsewhere just in case......]

Once you're into the BIOS menu it should tell you a little more than "A03". IIRC, should be a string of hex digits after that - Please post the complete thing and we'll have a look-see.

Cheers,
    Ian

20. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    the built in W7 features can image your drive, plus their's the sys restore.

I still use 3rd party imaging tool & just revert to it whenever a conflict happens or something causes a hit in performance.

Rather take 15min & do that than troubleshoot, not worth my time

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hi Ian,

Yep, I have everything backed up and the HD is working. I am not too stressed about it not working, but it would be nice to get one last run out of it before I replace it.

Once it's running, I will buy another computer and toss this one in the bin. I am more intrigued about what could be the issue and the fix, rather than the $50 computer itself.

A03 BIOS
    Service tag- 93PFC1S
    Express service code- 19815145408
    Asset tag- (none)

Hope this helps mate and I appreciate yours and everyone's help. :)

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hello again boys, computer all fixed now. :D:D

After leaving it sit for a few days, I decided to have another play with it before I removed the HD and tossed it in the bin.

I ended up going into the "devices" setting in the BIOS and turned the USB port controller to "off".

I rebooted and it has been perfect ever since. Doesn't say that diskette drive failure anymore either.

Great stuff, all good now. Thanks for all for their help/ideas. Much appreciated. :)

23. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    so it was an IRQ (resource) issue. Happens.
    usually when I'm playing with different softwares and trying different soft/drivers out

*I say "I" because I do not presume to know your usage

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool, first time it's happened to me. Hopefully I remember how to fix it if it ever happens again. :)

Thanks again. :)

25. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    if it happens again, I'd try disabling the 'diskette' (A:) drive in BIOS.It seems that should fix the issue, but maybe the issue is/was greater.