Any good free adware/malware removal? | FerrariChat

Any good free adware/malware removal?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I installed regclean pro which i found out the hard was is a piece of **** maleware. Malewarebyte cant do anything. I read Spyhunter might be able to remove it..but before i purchase it, i'd like to know if there is a free tool.

2. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
  3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Malwarebytes can't do anything?

What do you have going on with the computer?

I second the CCleaner recommendation, only it won't quite remove viruses, it can help uninstall and also edit the startup config to prevent them from running (without using msconfig).

Malwarebytes/CCleaner has been my weapon of choice for a while now.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have Maleware and Ccleaner and they didnt detect it. The maleware/adware would text enhance webpages (hotlink key words) and also add more ad space on certain websites that never had ad on these spaces prior to this. I was really surprised by this! Even Netflix had a banner!

I downloaded spybot search and destroy and it found it and cleaned it.

I recommend having all 3 as i remember that in the past it was spybot that didnt detect a maleware.

5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    CCleaner is good, don't click on "analyze" just "run cleaner", i usually click on it a few times in succession

i don't know if the IT guys consider MS Essentials as good still? but i run it every other day, clicking the update first, then "scan option = full" and it seems to catch the odd item CCleaner didn't

AVG use to be good, not sure if it still is

i don't like Kaspersky, our company IT guys says is full of oddities, doesn't like it?

6. kylepetree

kylepetree Karting

Oct 1, 2012
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Kyle Petree
    If malwarebytes doesn't work I usually try ComboFix...
    ComboFix Download

Try running Malwarebytes in safe mode (press F8 before the 'Starting Windows' screen appears). If you run anti-malware software on a computer that is infected booted into normal mode the spyware can stop the scan from working properly.

7. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Another option, for future reference, is to run rkill prior to running malwarebytes. It is available in several different file types so if one doesn't run try the next one: rkill.com, rkill.scr, ie.exe and a couple of others. It kills processes running in memory allowing malwarebytes to spot and remove the malware.

8. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Malwarebytes will do most of it (as stated try in safe mode, which most removal should be attempted from + with networking disabled); if not I'd try a free online scan by Fsecure or GDATA

Somewhere on the below site is a generic "how to" which involes hijackthis & comboxfix/dds.
    Some is advance & that's why they say backup (if you del sys critical file...).

ComboFix: A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix
    Spyware And Malware Removal Guides Index - Spyware and Malware Removal Guides and Reading Room

I only use ccleaner to remove registry files I know are obsolete; even then I'd do a manual search...usually more negative affect to use those cleaners.