Need Safe Spyware Program for the PC | FerrariChat

Need Safe Spyware Program for the PC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jeff, Dec 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Could some suggest a good spyware program for my pc. I would like to buy it from a store and not download it. How would I know if the spyware program is NOT spying on my pc?

2. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
  3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Talk to Randy Schatten...!!! He's a member here... i don't turn on my computer in the morning without calling Randy first...

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Excellent question! There are many 'fake' anti-spyware applications that are out in teh wild. And while you might search for spybot or adaware, the search results might take you to something very similar.

There are a few good apps out there. I personally recommend three: hijackthis (you can send me log files if needed), spybot, and adaware. All can be downloaded safely...here: http://www.spychecker.com/software/antispy.html

I've been toying around with GIANT lately. But it is not free. The other three applications are free, can easily be updated and can be scheduled to run as well. The scheduling part of Spybot is there, and you can add /AUTOUPDATE to the switch in the scheduler, which is not included in the command line. Adaware can be scheduled, but little documentation about how to do it. I'll see if I can get around to writing something up for it. Personally, when running all three (hijackthis only if things are really bad and you use IE) and schedule weekly to clean up shop if needed while I am away at work. The other three days of the week are all drive scans for antivirus applications.

Best recommendation, which works for most people: use mozilla (firefox actually) as a browser www.mozilla.org

p.s. - thanks Carbie.

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Two other notes:

- Pest Patrol version 5 works very well, but costs $40. I use Ad Aware, Spybot and Pest Patrol.

- In addition to scheduling the programs, run them in the "custom scan" mode every now and then and scan the ENTIRE "C" drive. They don't do this in the default mode, they scan the likely places of viruses. I have found many that are in non-likely places on the hard drive.

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Thanks guys for all the great advice.
    Jeff

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I assume that you can install a couple programs and have them running without conflict.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    yes, zero problems. spybot will warn you that you have adaware installed, but it doesn't matter. one catches some stuff, the other catches some stuff. one thing I tend to believe is that no one tool will solve your problems. and hijackthis, it just shows what is the current BHO's, or rather, browser helper objects. BHO's are small plug ins, and the help you out by loading up an application at a visited site or call, such as adobe acrobat reader, so you can view while visiting a page.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dude, don't thank me, you're the man...! Now if i could just get you let me pay you for my website... :)

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    hijackthis and adaware are pretty much standard fare. A lot of companies use these in the corporate environment for "PC cleanup" and hijackthis has great logging capability that any nerd can interpret. Right on the money, Randy!

11. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Links through Cnet are usually Legit

12. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    AdAware SE *Personal* (the free version) has very few command line options, unlike AdAware 6. With v6, I wrote a batch file that downloaded the updates and ran a full scan, then scheduled the batch file to run every night. With the new version, command line switches of any use at all are restricted to the Plus and Professional versions. All the switches are displayed if you run ad-aware.exe /?

I personally use the following for spyware removal, in this order:
    1. CWShredder
    2. HiJack This
    3. Ad-Aware SE

13. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I use spybot all the time and it works great. It doesn't catch everything, but it does alot.

14. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I just ran spybot and it found 92 items and fixed them
    then adaware found over 100. It said they were quarantined. Does this fix or get rid of them?

After running these I am getting error messages when I start the computer. I put a pic of it in my other thread.

15. ilo

ilo Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Just to let some people know. There is no #1 Spyware tool. I read an interesting article that no spyware tools [up to posting time] finds all the spyware.

The suggestion is to use a coupe of free ones:

1) Adware
    2) Spybot
    3) TDS-3
    4) CWShredder
    5) TrojanHunter
    6) BOClean

Hope this helps

16. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I heard (don't know if it's true) that Ad-aware puts its own malicious spyware in while getting red of the rest ?

I use Spybot (search and destroy). Seems to have worked well till now. And when I uninstalled Ad-aware after a complete scan with updated refereces and scanned with Spybot for the first time, it found a lot of crap that either was not picked up by Adaware or was installed by it. So I'm happy with my switch.

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Got a squeeky snake? 'Cause there's lots of snake oil out there.

Was doing some typical boredom browsing ("spark the mistuned engine pings") when I got several "internet explorer" windows warning of spyware infestations.

Which was interesting, as I'm using Firefox, not IE. (Nice try carpetbaggers.)

Caveat Emptor.

Cogito ergo sum. Stupido ergo consumer. ;)

18. ilo

ilo Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Just for your own sake use Firefox instead of Internet explorer.

Since I use it I get less spyware!

19. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    FWIW, Microsoft is getting into the anti-spyware game.

------------------------------------------------------

by Paul Thurrott, [email protected]

Microsoft Purchases GIANT Company Software for Antispyware Solution

This morning, Microsoft pleasantly surprised me by purchasing GIANT Company Software, which makes what I believe is the best antispyware solution on the market. The acquisition includes all of GIANT's products, technology, and staff. Microsoft will soon launch a beta of an upcoming version of Giant AntiSpyware, which will likely be branded a Microsoft product, and will present the solution as the ultimate security companion to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
    "Spyware is a serious and growing problem for PC users, and customers have made it clear that they want Microsoft to deliver effective solutions to protect against the threat," Mike Nash, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Security Business and Technology Unit, said. "Through this acquisition we're excited to be able to provide near-term relief to Windows customers by offering new technology to help keep spyware and other deceptive software off their PCs."
    I spoke with GIANT Cofounder Andrew Newman just the other day, before the Microsoft acquisition was finalized, and he told me that his company's spyware solution is unique for several reasons, including its community-driven approach to identifying malware. The company has created an online resource called Spynet that helps catalog and identify the types of executables people install on their PCs. "The Spynet technology helps users decide what is and is not spyware," Newman told me. "The biggest goal is to develop a system that is knowledgeable and intelligent about what applications are spyware. We have the users contribute to it as well. What's amazing is that the Spynet community is helping us determine the actual logic that goes into the system."
    Although Microsoft has committed to shipping a public beta of the next version of Giant AntiSpyware sometime in the next 30 days, the company hasn't yet determined final product plans, pricing, and a delivery timeline. However, Newman told me that GIANT was working on an enterprise version of its product, which was to have hit the beta stage by the end of 2004. That means Microsoft could very well have sewn up spyware solutions for both its XP and Windows 2000 clients and its Windows Server 2003 and Win2K Server products.
    As a matter of full disclosure, I investigated numerous antispyware solutions this year after a nasty series of Trojan horses hit my laptop, and I found Giant AntiSpyware to be the best solution by far, well ahead of more well-known applications such as Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. I strongly recommend that all XP and Win2K users take a look at Microsoft's public beta of the next version of Giant AntiSpyware when it's released early next month. If we're lucky, Microsoft will simply roll the technology into future versions of Windows.

20. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Randy,

Would you still make these same recommendations now.... 10 years later?

Mike

21. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Can't speak for Randy, but I'd bet most would still suggest "Spybot S&D", "Adaware." and perhaps "Hijackthis" as good ideas. Put CCleaner into that list, and you are in pretty good overall shape.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Unfortunately, all of those are, essentially, clean-up tools for active infections.

For intrusion protection, I still think that Microsoft Security Essentials works best. I've tried most of the rest (anti-virus/malware) but keep coming back. Of course, I do software updates as needed.

But if anyone has a true "anti-spy" solution then I'm all ears. Or even an intrusion detection program/process as well (with notification).

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  24. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    #24 Schimpf, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Honestly Microsoft's mrt (malware removal) built in works good from the accounts I've read.
    & modern AV engines seem to detect is more than the Spybot days. If you want to manually invoke it via: start menu > type "mrt.exe" > enter

www.av-comparatives.org for AV data on which ones the best (changes with every revision)

You can run Kaspersky free scanner for a second opinion & spot checking..
    I'd stay away from any registry cleaners; use them to clean cache & memory, sure.

ComboFix & Hijackthis are great power user tools, which probably don't apply here

25. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Thanks!

Mike