Weird Mac files start with "$" | FerrariChat

Weird Mac files start with "$"

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My wife was looking for a file on our iMac, and couldn't find it. We ended up finding it the trash, and it had been renamed with a file name that would look like "$RNDKGY". Interesting the dollar sign, and the all caps.

Here's the thing--neither of us put it there, and there are a bunch of other things (folders, documents, photos, etc.) in the trash that shouldn't be there, and they all have file names that start with "$" and then have all caps following. I've been searching, and coming up empty.

Anyone have any thoughts re: what is going on?

2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I'm not a Mac guy, but these sound like temp files that have been deleted.

3. rampar

rampar Rookie

Nov 1, 2008
    Phx, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ramin Mahmoodi
    Temp files don't go to the trash can though...Your best bet is to make an appointment at an Apple Store and have the look over it. You could have malware or a virus somewhere (they do exist for Macs).

4. Reebzy

Reebzy Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    $ signs do generally mean temp files, and they will be automatically cleaned up by the system.

Your original files should still exist, provided you did a correct "Save As" last time you touched them. For example, your photos should still be sitting in PhotoBooth (or your preferred photo app).

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Download CCleaner and run it. I use it once a month or so, clean up my registry and other misplaced files. Runs in a matter of seconds.

Recommended for everyone really. I've used it for years and my PC has never run cleaner. Free to use.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

6. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    mac has no registry...