Mac Pro | FerrariChat

Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Innovativethinker, Dec 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    So for those of us that have been waiting 3 years to buy a new Mac Pro, you can now order it and get it maybe in February 2014.

My config was $9k to duplicate existing system. Hope it works and cs5 runs on it.

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Visually, the Mac Pro is stunning. I hope that performance lives up to the package - we don't need another G4 cube.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Looks like a fancy trash bin.

4. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

Yes, but it is an APPLE trash can!

5. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I cant see the design taking heat really well.

6. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Still waiting for it. Got the minister and external raid, now I just need the CPU.

February :-(

7. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    ?

The whole computer is a big heat exchanger with all the high-current components bonded to the outside and a fan on top.

It's possible Apple botched the details, but on inspection it looks like the whole point of it is to take heat well.

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep. Thing looks like it'll get a little toasty, but in general anyway, Apple at very, very, good at this stuff - Doubt they botched the details! ;)

It'll be a screamer when it eventually arrives!

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - Shouldn't this be in the tech section? ;)

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Expensive, but good looking. Apple.

10. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    most current software cannot take advantage of the multiple cores and dual-station GPUs and FirePro graphics this machine has.
    final cut pro was optimized for this machine and should run quicker.
    but photoshop may run faster on a machine with fewer cores with a faster chip.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Further, I'd add 'works well' to that description. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

12. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Stylish look for sure. A bit too pricey for me (I don't need that level of hardware either).
    Curious if a round rack mount is out. I'm guessing they didn't make them squares purely for aesthetics

13. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    You'd need room in the rack for air to flow in from below and out from above. This is a desktop design. Or, if you have lots of room and airflow in your rack, sure, stick it on a shelf.

14. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Still waiting...sure would like to hook up that pricey 4k monitor to something...

15. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Okay, got it on Friday. Fast computer, had to buy external drive array as the biggest internal drive you can get is 1 Tb, not enough for graphics work. Photoshop loads in 3 seconds - fastest SSD drive I've ever seen.

Adobe, as any graphics person knows, will only "rent" the new Creative Suites (renamed Creative Cloud) versions for $50 a month ($30/mo for the first year). I may try to load the older versions later to see how well they work.

The CPU is noiseless, small, and no longer doubles as space heater. The 4K monitor only works on HDMI (not supported under thunderbolt), and unless you can read text that is 1/8" high, the 4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160 is useless. I had to set the res at 2028 x 1080 to read anything without squinting, which left some text fuzzy, so I would not recommend the $3,500 for the 4k monitor unless you want to run dual monitors, keeping the 4k for only image or video editing/viewing. The Promise Pegasus 2 R6 Raid system took 2.5 hours to initialize, so plan for that if you are in a hurry to use it. It is still copying the 2 TB of data from my old system so I can't comment on the speed.

The new mouse is a little funky, very small ball on the top where a wheel normally is, I still prefer the old style mouse.

$4k for the computer, $1,500 for the drives, $3,500 for the monitor, plus you still need to buy the keyboard and mouse (does not come with either).

Meh - other than insane speed on rendering, I prefer my I7 win7 with all SSD drives.

Had to buy it to replace my wife's older Mac Pro.

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Thanks for the report. I'm way overdue for an upgrade and I've been struggling with what to do. Frankly I can't decide if I should just do a MacBook Pro and docking station. Problem is the macbook I need specs out to the same as the base pro. Biggest difference is no expand ability on the laptop.