time to update my cell phone | FerrariChat

time to update my cell phone

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 4ARI, Jan 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    My 2 year contract is coming up soon and I can once again update my cell phone (yeah). I'm with Verizon. I currently have a Motorola Razr Droid. Great phone but terrible battery life. I'm debating between the new iPhone and one of the new Samsung Galaxies. Maybe a new Droid. I use an Imac at home so is there an advantage to getting an Iphone? I don't use a tablet so maybe one of the new larger screened Samsungs which seem to take the place of a small tablet. I use my phone for lots of emails and browsing.

Recommendations are appreciated.

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I like my iPhone but the battery life is poor.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love my Google Nexus 5. Pretty decent battery life. Very quick as there aren't preloaded apps like other phones that you can't uninstall. If you travel, it works on like 200+ international carriers (SIM).

Only downside for some is you have to buy it at full price and get a separate plan. I paid $380 for the phone shipped (unlocked is how Google sells it) and $40/month for unlimited everything (talk/text/web) on a pre-paid plan. Works out to $55/month over two years for both compared to buying a high priced plan and subsidized phone like a S4.

4. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    On Verizon?

Moto X for sure. Best phone I've ever had.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm in the same boat (Verizon, Razr, contract up) but am looking to try something new... just as soon as the the Nokia 929 is released. Or "Icon" as they're calling it now.

Verizon Lumia 929 to ditch number designation, to be called ?Lumia Icon? instead | Windows Phone Central
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I was going after the Icon as well but had the chance to use a 1520 on AT&T.

Waiting for it on Verizon now.

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm surprised your RAZR has poor battery life. My droid battery life is what's dissuading me from swapping to an I phone. Perhaps there is a power hungry app running in the background.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Prepaid plan on Verizon?

I've been at $110/mo for years and spending at that rate is getting old, so if I could cut my expense in half that's awesome.

I was reading up on Republic Wireless, their Moto X version switches between wifi and cellular with the hope that whilst on wifi the cost is near nil, but I hesitate as Verizon has been solid reliable.

Thanks, great thread! So confusing trying to make the best choice.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

9. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I've got a RAZR as well - I've had a few apps go renegade and drain my battery very fast, but after some house cleaning is back to fine. The RAZR has one of the larger batteries out there, much larger than the iPhones.

10. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I just got a smokin deal on the Lumia 1020 with ATT. Could not pass up that camera, best on the market now. Video is also incredible. Everything else seems top notch. Since I just got it, I can not give any personal opinion yet. But the plan is reasonable, so I got it. Don't really think anything else compares. (I would add that anything larger would no longer feel like a phone)

11. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

I like my IPhone 5, great phone good features.

I never have a problem with battery life but I do have a charger in the car and I charge every night.

12. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    If you are handy, there are replacement batteries available with double the capacity.

13. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm also in the same boat. Delaying my upgrade till after my wedding, and then we will head to the verizon store to see what they've got.

A buddy has the new Galaxy S5. Looks nice, very fast.

My question about the motorola's is whether or not they still have the rock solid radios and hardware that they used to.

A smart phone is nothing more than a $600 paperweight if you can't get any signal.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My Motorola Maxx HD was great. I also owned the very first Android phone that came out that was also Motorola and it was fantastic too.

But can you specify what you mean by radios and hardware?

Right now I have an S5 and I like it, although I'm not the biggest fan of the physical button. But that's such a small personal gripe. And contrary to what most reviews seem to say, my call quality is excellent.

15. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    By radios I mean the hardware that actually communicates with the towers. It used to be that in a group of phone manufacturers, Motorola would have the best signal and would maintain connection long after all the others had lost it.

I routinely drive through rural areas and having a little extra range can come in handy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

16. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    GALAXY NOTE 3.

With light use the battery lasts for days. Heavy use I can get a solid day no problem. Also you can peel off the back case and swap a battery in about ten seconds.

It's large two-dimensionally but it's relatively lightweight and very thin, so it fits in a pocket well. The bigger screen is wonderful, and I could never go back.

Plus it's one of samsung's flagship phones so it gets all the latest software, updates, etc.